Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tonight, on Ham Radio

00 Offline av8r1

Tonight, on Ham Radio
on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:07 AM
I had some fun tonight.  I hoisted my 20 meter dipole, set up my 706, and hooked it to my Raspberry Pi and made a few digital contacts on PSK31.

It was the first time I used my own radio for that, I was testing out my new sound card interface.  Of course, my Style ES was instrumental in its construction, lots of wires to snip and strip.

Most conversations on PSK are quick, automatic exchanges of information, but I had a pretty long "rag chew" with one gentleman.  Couldn't make a contact to save my life up on the voice section, but digital got through no problem.  These coming weekends I'm going to try out some of the other digital formats and see what's there.  Maybe I'll make a 40 or 80 meter antenna.

73, de KK4LGR
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Tonight, on Ham Radio
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:59 AM
I used to listen to Hams on SSB with my Sony SW77.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:45:28 AM
Good to see another ham on here.

I sold my HD rig a couple months back. Just wasn't getting used, with the family and work. It was a Kenwood TS-440S/AT. Now, I mostly work VHF/URL repeaters from the mobile, and occasionally from the HT.

HE was fun, but it takes nag-free time, which I don't have these days.

KC9ZHE
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:53 AM
I always wanted to get into radios, I just could never afford everything to get into it plus having to get a license, I just gave up.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Pwscott

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:20:42 AM
Sounds fun. '73
de Phil N3KDJ

Sent from my Note 4

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:27:26 PM
I've been a silent key for awhile, it seems the public has discovered FM ham radios and are using them like CB. Worse there doesn't seem to be much being done to stop them either. The local repeater club is out fox hunting, but I don't see any pelts on the rack.

Still check in from time to time just to read the mail and see what is going on.

Been net control enough times to know the QRM is pretty bad with HH's available almost anywhere.

KC9KGP
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 07:48:26 PM
My issue is antennas.  I don't own an antenna tuner so I have to use resonant dipoles, and they're just a pain in the neck to hoist.  I've got a 2m rig in my truck (I found that the Yaesu 1900 fits EXACTLY where the ash tray of a late model S10 goes) so most of my operation is VHF, but sometimes I still manage to get on the short waves.

I haven't personally seen any unlicensed use of ham gear, but I've heard lots of reports.  Lots of appropriate use of Baofengs and other cheap Chinese rigs; I own one myself.  Rig is good, the antenna radiates like a stick of glass; I get better reception on UHF with a quarter.

I'm getting to that place where I'd like to expand from PSK31 and spread out into the other teletype modes, maybe get into packet.  I've got an improved version of my link cable circuit I'm looking forward to building.  I'd like to make interchangeable leads for my various radios, I wonder if one of those four-conductor 3.5mm audio jacks would work?
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 04:33:43 PM

My issue is antennas.  I don't own an antenna tuner so I have to use resonant dipoles, and they're just a pain in the neck to hoist.  I've got a 2m rig in my truck (I found that the Yaesu 1900 fits EXACTLY where the ash tray of a late model S10 goes) so most of my operation is VHF, but sometimes I still manage to get on the short waves.

I haven't personally seen any unlicensed use of ham gear, but I've heard lots of reports.  Lots of appropriate use of Baofengs and other cheap Chinese rigs; I own one myself.  Rig is good, the antenna radiates like a stick of glass; I get better reception on UHF with a quarter.

I'm getting to that place where I'd like to expand from PSK31 and spread out into the other teletype modes, maybe get into packet.  I've got an improved version of my link cable circuit I'm looking forward to building.  I'd like to make interchangeable leads for my various radios, I wonder if one of those four-conductor 3.5mm audio jacks would work?

I've put a Nagoya NA 771  on my baofeng and it works a treat.

Also not heard any unlicensed users. But then I'm unlicensed and currently studying for my license:tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 05:02:51 PM
Just a few random thoughts on harmful interference -

Try to run a net when --

"Mr. Balloon" keys up - this guy rubs a balloon over the mike creating a squeaky sound which drowns out everything.

"Mr. Harmonica" - this guy blows a harmonica into the mike. No tune, just breaths in and out randomly on the thing making a real noise.

"Mr. Scream" - this one sounds like a horror movie sound effect. Never sure when this one will appear, but usually follows the other two above.

"Mr. Dead Air" - this is a high powered something which keys up, locks up the repeater, and says nothing. Enough power to tie down at least three repeaters at the same time.

Just a few on 2 meters. The club has guys out with direction finding gear, but this seems to be a mobile unit as it keep on moving around and they can't get a good locate on him. It turns out that there are several of these jerks out there and from what I have been told by the club - one might be on x-member who has a grudge against it. The others? They think it is goofs with HHs on our frequency.

If you are near a large metro area with several repeaters you may have to fish around and listen for awhile on each if the frequencies to hear all of them. The Saturday Nite Fun Net is one of the biggest draw of these jerks.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD