Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The First Hatchet.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
The First Hatchet.
on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:45 PM
I've been reading and watching videos on Youtube in order to learn about hatchets and axes.After several months of sporadic learning and viewing vids,I decided to take the next logical step and purchase.This is the first to arrive.I have three more in the pipeline but I won't write about them until they arrive.

I bought this particular hatchet for many specific reasons.The first being its one piece design.I know this flies in the face of tradition but this design has one strong point,no handle to break or splinter.This may not be of benefit in normal use but in a worst case scenario,an intact hatchet beats a hatchet head without a handle every time.

To be honest I also took into consideration that it was made in the USA and its handle was wrapped in leather.Both of these factors were attractive to me as a buyer.

After its arrival and upon inspection, certain flaws became obvious.The leather area of the handle had been lacquered and was slick to the touch.Also the back of the head of the hatchet was beveled.I can't understand the purpose of beveling the head which may be used as a hammer.I appears this does nothing but create an opportunity for the head to glance off objects intended to be hammered.

I've already taken steps to remedy one of these apparent flaws.I took a new pad of 0000 steel wool,soaked in denatured alcohol and rubbed the nasty,slick sheen off of the leather handle.These pictures were taken after I had done this.I never thought to take some before pics but I can assure you the shiny and slick leather was odious to a man,such as myself,who appreciates a good leather handled tool/knife.

I haven't had an opportunity to use this yet but when I do I'll write a few words about its performance.
DSCN2292.JPG
* DSCN2292.JPG (Filesize: 180.77 KB)
DSCN2293.JPG
* DSCN2293.JPG (Filesize: 187.81 KB)
DSCN2294.JPG
* DSCN2294.JPG (Filesize: 181.17 KB)
DSCN2296.JPG
* DSCN2296.JPG (Filesize: 191.95 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: The First Hatchet.
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:31 PM
One of the all time classics. :2tu:

Looking forward to your thoughts once you've had some time to play with it. :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:21:29 PM
One of the all time classics. :2tu:

Looking forward to your thoughts once you've had some time to play with it. :cheers:

+1!!!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:43:10 PM
Nice, did it come with a sheath?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:49:01 PM
Nice, did it come with a sheath?

Yes it did come with a sheath.This is a picture of it in its stock form.

I'm currently working on the sheath and hopefully it will be ready in  a few days.
DSCN2297.JPG
* DSCN2297.JPG (Filesize: 187.21 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:47 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start  :tu: I hope there's something more traditional on the way too  :pok: :D

Just a few pointers when you start using it:

Don't use excessive force, accuracy is better than over exuberance
Keep it sharp
Always plan your swing so that if you miss the target, the axe head goes somewhere safe
New axes sometimes have a soft skin (the edge over tempers), so don't worry if it dulls quick to start with. After a couple of sharpenings you get to the good steel.
If you strike something you shouldn't, or you notice you've finished with less fingers than you started with, remember to blame Kirky

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:52:28 PM

Looks like you're off to a good start  :tu: I hope there's something more traditional on the way too  :pok: :D

Just a few pointers when you start using it:

Don't use excessive force, accuracy is better than over exuberance
Keep it sharp
Always plan your swing so that if you miss the target, the axe head goes somewhere safe
New axes sometimes have a soft skin (the edge over tempers), so don't worry if it dulls quick to start with. After a couple of sharpenings you get to the good steel.
If you strike something you shouldn't, or you notice you've finished with less fingers than you started with, remember to blame Kirky

Sage advice from Al :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:59:29 PM
 :imws:

:D

Nice Estwing  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 11:06:45 PM
Very nice toolguy. :cheers:  Al's advice is definitely worth listening too as well.

When using a hatchet, and when possible, I always like to get down near the wood to be chopped.  So if using a chopping block then kneel down for example.  That way when you do miss, and it will happen, the hatchet will strike the block and not end up swinging back towards your legs.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 11:14:33 PM
It is an axe, not a hammer. Also that end tends to be softer, when used it can deform and roll around the edges. The beveling helps prevent this.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:11 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I don't want to plead ignorance but I have used axes,I've just never owned any.I also never had to maintain any ax.I've chopped and split wood on a friend's ranch and at hunting camps in several states.

I did,for a brief time,own a Buck 106 which was a one piece design with nice rosewood handles.Although I never had any substantial experience with it, I did hack around with it a few times.LOL.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:59:14 PM by toolguy »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:41 PM
It is an axe, not a hammer. Also that end tends to be softer, when used it can deform and roll around the edges. The beveling helps prevent this.

Thanks for that bit of information.

I was looking at it from the perspective of how that beveling would react,when the hatchet had to be used to hammer an object,that was absolutely necessary for survival.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:02 PM

I was looking at it from the perspective of how that beveling would react,when the hatchet had to be used to hammer an object,that was absolutely necessary for survival.

Aye, I don't think it will be a problem.

I have a couple of their other products and love them. And that hatchet has been on my wants list for a while now. I think you did good.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 11:46:06 PM

Which is why I like these.......

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:53:27 PM

Man,if that tool could talk.LOL

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:58:48 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

LOL!!! Helped build my house and 35 years of deer hunts/camping/work!!! Gave me my first black thumbnail so I'd wager there would be a fair amount of cussin' in it's story!  :D 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:07 AM

LOL!!! Helped build my house and 35 years of deer hunts/camping/work!!! Gave me my first black thumbnail so I'd wager there would be a fair amount of cussin' in it's story!  :D

LOL.

us Online cody6268

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:46:03 AM
I have four axes, one a hatchet that is unbranded, a Kelly Works Charleston, WV double bit felling axe (made from 1904-1933) that I re-handled, a Kelly Works axe that's had it's handle replaced with a hatchet handle (which is my main user), and a Kelly/True Temper axe that I just fixed.   

That Estwing is quite a beauty!   

I borrow a True Temper from time to time with a hammer head like that, but my grandparents won't let be own one like that.  I'd love to have one like that.

An axe is necessary for me, as an SAK saw is pretty much useless on larger wood, and my grandparent's won't let me use the chainsaw.  With my Kelly Works axe on a hatchet handle, my grandfather and I cleared a at least a foot diameter tree from the way of our Kubota RTV 900, as I'd brought my axe, but we hadn't brought the chainsaw.  It took about 15 minutes to do so, but it worked, as I keep the axe razor sharp.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 03:17:38 AM
I have four axes, one a hatchet that is unbranded, a Kelly Works Charleston, WV double bit felling axe (made from 1904-1933) that I re-handled, a Kelly Works axe that's had it's handle replaced with a hatchet handle (which is my main user), and a Kelly/True Temper axe that I just fixed.   

That Estwing is quite a beauty!   

I borrow a True Temper from time to time with a hammer head like that, but my grandparents won't let be own one like that.  I'd love to have one like that.

An axe is necessary for me, as an SAK saw is pretty much useless on larger wood, and my grandparent's won't let me use the chainsaw.  With my Kelly Works axe on a hatchet handle, my grandfather and I cleared a at least a foot diameter tree from the way of our Kubota RTV 900, as I'd brought my axe, but we hadn't brought the chainsaw.  It took about 15 minutes to do so, but it worked, as I keep the axe razor sharp.

Hey I have a dbl bit that is a Kelly I think...looks like a Tru Temper. I can't remember right now.

Edit: Nah, I remember that it's got another name on it....starts with a "S" IIRC.

Tru Temper DB & Outdoorsman (2).JPG
* Tru Temper DB & Outdoorsman (2).JPG (Filesize: 95.1 KB)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:28:56 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:00 PM
Nice choice, toolguy.
My first actual purchase of a hatchet (my great grandfather gave me this ancient one he found buried in a tree long ago) was also an Estwing. It's been through a lot, and I'm surprised this grip is still in such good shape after all that.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 09:49:55 PM
Nice anecdote WoodsDuck.

A judicious application of oil and a coating of wax and this Estwing sheath is ready for service.

DSCN2297.JPG
* DSCN2297.JPG (Filesize: 187.21 KB)
DSCN2318.JPG
* DSCN2318.JPG (Filesize: 184.62 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 10:23:35 PM
That definitely looks better. :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:36 PM

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:15 PM
Mine  :tu:

Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 11:36:47 PM
Very cool Tony :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:53 PM
Very cool Tony :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

+1!!!!!!!!!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:40 PM

Thanks Guys I was trying for a Nessmuk kinda thing   :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 11:02:42 AM
Looking good Tony. :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 11:31:34 PM
I just got my first hatchet too - just for chopping up kindling around home.
It cost me a bit more than I wanted to pay but oh well.

Sorry about the poor pic.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 12:04:22 AM
Bahco is a good choice mate. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%