Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Initiation into the SwitchPlier Mafia

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Initiation into the SwitchPlier Mafia
on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:22 PM

I wasn't expecting it to be as solid as it is. It definitely has the feel of a heavy duty tool. Has anyone put the SwitchPlier 2 to any hard labor yet?

It rides along in my pocket nicely. I think it may be too big for the 5th pocket (where my Octane or Wingman usually rides) but it is slim enough to not get in the way of my main hip pocket. I think I will switch the file and knife positions because I am able to one hand deploy the file, but not the knife. The opposite would be more useful for me. Ultimately though, I would like to try a knifeless set up at some point, maybe swapping in the V-cutter in place of the blade. Or maybe the scissors.

I expect this to be a great substitute for trusty old Octane, which is just on the verge of wearing out.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Initiation into the SwitchPlier Mafia
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:04 AM
Very nice.  :tu:  I'm a little jealous.  :drool:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:27:07 AM
The pliers are more medium-light duty. I think it is a very good candidate for a bladeless mt.The scissors fit as well so if you decide you don't need the file you have another option 
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:31:12 AM
I got to have a play with one at the UK meet-up and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:57 AM
Only 2 things I've managed to really test on mine thus far is the knife and phillips. The knife works great, a bit short but that is more of a personal preference than a knock on the tool itself. The phillips is surprisingly sturdy as it managed to break free a screw that hadn't been moved in a decade and had some sort of glue on it
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:06:02 PM
So far I've only used the pliers for picking dead wasps out of my window seal, and satisfying my need to fidget :D

However, I am familiar with the "innards" that SOG puts out; I've been using my PPP for a couple of years and it gets the job done and they feature the same stock load-out. None of the drivers are great, but they work just fine. The can opener isn't the best, but it works. The caplifter works really well. The knife is crazy sharp right out of the box, as it was with my PPP. The file does seem different, though. Almost as if it's made from a different type of metal than that found on my PPP. It could just be the finish, as the PPP has a satin finish and the file on my new SP2 has the same brushed finish as all the other implements (save for the Philips).
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%