Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you use your scissors on?

be Offline Willem85

What do you use your scissors on?
on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:46 AM
Another noob question from myself.
I see a lot of modding to add scissors, or EDCing one SAK over the other because it has scissors, there is even a merit badge for having an Alox with scissors. I don't use them at all really. They're always loosening. What am I missing? How do you use them? How often? Why do you need them?
Rockin' a Huntsman!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: What do you use your scissors on?
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:33:22 AM
to trim nails, hair, cut paper, tags, labels etc.

In today's society, scissors tend to me more needed than e.g. a screwdriver, can openner, saw, in most urban environments.

the SAK scissors are a good alternative to carrying proper scissors
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:57:10 AM
Mostly for trimming my beard.

The more serious part of it is that people don't freak out if you cut something with scissors as opposed to a knife, no matter how big it is. In around a month and a half of carrying a Classic the response is "Oh cool, can I see?" when I use the scissors. When any knife, even on that same Classic, is involved the response goes more towards insinuating my mental instability and carrying a weapon
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline BADSAK

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:26:30 PM
to trim nails, hair, cut paper, tags, labels etc.

+1

be Offline Willem85

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 01:56:46 PM
How do you keep them from loosening? I don't have the mini screwdriver to tighten them. It gets annoying. So I don't use 'm much.
Rockin' a Huntsman!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:56 PM
How do you keep them from loosening? I don't have the mini screwdriver to tighten them. It gets annoying. So I don't use 'm much.
What exactly is loosening? The screw at the pivot? If so, newer models don't use screws anymore.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 02:14:02 PM
use a hammer  :D 

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 02:29:07 PM
I use mine on anything that needs cutting where scissors would be more sensible than a knife  :P Nails, facial hair, paper, plastics, fabric, cutting straight lines or shapes rather than a rough cut, snipping something where it would be tricky to get a knife or there's nothing to cut against, harvesting stuff in the garden and light pruning...... the list goes on.

Scissors are one of my daily must haves, and this morning I've trimmed a couple of nails, and opened a new cartomiser for my e-cig. Both could have been done with a knife, but were easier and safer with scissors.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
I use mine on anything that needs cutting where scissors would be more sensible than a knife  :P Nails, facial hair, paper, plastics, fabric, cutting straight lines or shapes rather than a rough cut, snipping something where it would be tricky to get a knife or there's nothing to cut against, harvesting stuff in the garden and light pruning...... the list goes on.

Scissors are one of my daily must haves, and this morning I've trimmed a couple of nails, and opened a new cartomiser for my e-cig. Both could have been done with a knife, but were easier and safer with scissors.

+ 1

Also those tiny bits of dead skin which sometimes show up after having cut my nails. The Victorinox scissors are extremely precise.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:55 PM
Scissors are an indispensable cutting tool, close to the utility of using a blade. Far safer too, if you are trying to cut something and it is just tough, the blade may slip and oops! 

Where as with the scissors if it slips in any way, it just slips and you won't get cut. Wenger scissors have the serrated blades and dig in when the Vic type slip especially when cutting plastic.

They should not come loose, as most today as others have pointed out are riveted. If yours is the older screw type, just lightly peen the thing when you get it tightened with a screwdriver, but know you can get it too tight now - so be careful.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

be Offline Willem85

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 02:54:10 PM
How do you keep them from loosening?
What exactly is loosening? The screw at the pivot? If so, newer models don't use screws anymore.

Ah, Okay. That explains the popularity against my experiences.

They should not come loose, as most today as others have pointed out are riveted. If yours is the older screw type, just lightly peen the thing when you get it tightened with a screwdriver, but know you can get it too tight now - so be careful.

Yeah I noticed that you can over tighten them. So I screw 'm a little too loose and give 'm a couple of light taps and that's it, right?
Rockin' a Huntsman!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 03:23:59 PM
Or take the screw out altogether, put some nail varnish or even wood varnish on the threads to make them "gummy" and refit them. This should help keep the tension and stop them slackening off, but also let you adjust them in future as and when needed

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline tommywp

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:41 PM
Tags off of kids clothes...constantly. Which by the way the Leatherman Style CS and Wingman scissors have a hard time with (at least in my hand) but the Visctorinox scissors do very well. I do this so often that I had to rearrange my carry  :facepalm:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:20:51 PM
I use my SAK scissors for more tasks than I can think to list right now. I ditto some of the things folks have posted in here already. It just so happens the Vic scissors are the best for cutting darn near anything.

Some 30 years ago, I received my first real SAK, a Hoffritz Swisschamp and used the scissors on it to cut my fingernails for many years. I still use SAK scissors for this (though recently got a pair of Vic nail clippers which I also use).
SAW

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
I'm a lefty, so the SAK scissors work for me in a way the regular scissors never could.  Nowadays, I use mine for everything from cutting paper and string to opening the little packets of instant coffee I hit up when I'm in a hurry. 
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 05:52:50 PM
Great responses so I'll just add the 91mm and 58mm scissors are awesome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 06:00:27 PM
Great responses so I'll just add the 91mm and 58mm scissors are awesome.

+1 Vic has a great thing going for them :tu:
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 06:20:37 PM
5%: Clipping newspaper coupons or articles
20%: Clipping loose threads on clothing
20%: Clipping tags off of clothing (store tags, and also the tags that rub against the skin inside the clothes)
30%: Fingernails
15%: Touching up body hair (moustache, beard, son's haircut, nose hair...)
10%: Everything else, for example, cutting lengths of electrical tape and small string.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:23:11 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:19 PM
The great thing about SAK scissors is you never need to debate on what MT to get that doesn't include scissors.  For example if you are a ST300 or Rebar fan but the exclusion of scissors is the deal breaker no worry get a SAK with them. 

I heard some complained not wanting to carry a bunch of tools  :think:.  Rebar and Classic for example are a terrific duo IMO, ymmv.   
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:30 PM
20%: Clipping tags off of clothing (store tags, and also the tags that rub against the skin inside the clothes)
10%: Everything else, for example, cutting lengths of electrical tape and small string.

So you actually can provide us with statistics...     :D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:50 PM

So you actually can provide us with statistics...     :D

Ask and you shall receive! ;)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:39:04 PM
i use them a lot for clipping fingernails and cutting zipties.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:44 PM
I don't, that's why I carry a Tinker.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24:57 PM
It is gross, but the scissors on the Vic Classic are perfect for nose hair trimming.   :whistle:

The great thing about SAK scissors is you never need to debate on what MT to get that doesn't include scissors.  For example if you are a ST300 or Rebar fan but the exclusion of scissors is the deal breaker no worry get a SAK with them. 

I heard some complained not wanting to carry a bunch of tools  :think:.  Rebar and Classic for example are a terrific duo IMO, ymmv.   

Precisely.  I always have a Classic on my keys, so I don't mind not having scissors on the Rebar.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:25:59 PM by NetsNJ »

us Offline buck

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 07:59:41 AM
Shrink.wrap plastic on the tops of vitamin bottles and such.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 08:33:55 AM
You really do appreciate a pair of scissors when you have them.

Paper, cardboard, small zip ties, double sided tape, cable shrink wrap, twine/string plenty more.

us Offline buck

Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 11:00:39 AM
The other day at a funeral my brother had an annoying 2" thread around his shirt pocket.  Sometimes when you pull them you wish you hadn't.  Snip snip, problem solved; and nobody looks at you like a psycho when you pull out your SAK.

PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 01:25:18 PM
Yeah, that's what I've been using my Minichamp scissors on lately. Cleaning up clothes, removing loose threads and whatnot. When you pull them, you usually make things worse. So when I don't have a lighter handy, I just cut them off. If I'm at home, I usually burn the loose threads and then use the metal surface on my lighter to press down on the stub that's left, while the material is still hot, sort of like how you secure the ends of paracord that's been cut to size so it doesn't unravel itself.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 01:55:38 PM
IMG_20150901_144305.jpg
* IMG_20150901_144305.jpg (Filesize: 32.58 KB)

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:40 PM
Mostly for trimming my beard.

The more serious part of it is that people don't freak out if you cut something with scissors as opposed to a knife, no matter how big it is. In around a month and a half of carrying a Classic the response is "Oh cool, can I see?" when I use the scissors. When any knife, even on that same Classic, is involved the response goes more towards insinuating my mental instability and carrying a weapon

THIS, PLUS A ZILLION! :tu:

I don't know ho many people I've converted to the SAK cause, by way of the classic. The overwhelming response was "That's so cute" or It's so cool!". The small size, plus the very high quality sharp scissors make it soooo  popular with women that it is the gateway drug to SAK's and knife carry in general. About half od the people I've gifted a classic to have gone on to getting a bigger SAK, always with scissors.

I really don't think a day goes by that I don't use the scissors on my classic at least once.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%