Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Medium-duty Multi-tool Comparison

Smaug · 22 · 3304

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Medium-duty Multi-tool Comparison
on: August 27, 2015, 05:31:00 PM
I made this last night. I hope you find it useful, or at least entertaining. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyXjPp9dKE
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Medium-duty Multi-tool Comparison
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:54 PM
Very good comparison Smaug  :salute: at some point ive had all of these mt's, the ones that stsnd out for me as a good size are the sog ppp and the spirit,i wish they made a ppp with gear guards like the larger power pliers  :tu: thanks for sharing  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:40:32 PM
Liking it so far. :tu:  Got to get dinner ready so I'll have to watch the rest later.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:15 PM
Nice review!  If you ever had/used a Rebar, what would your thoughts on that be?  Just curious as I just sold mine off and only have the big Surge here with the replaceable cutters!  My main carry is the sak, either an Explorer or a Ranger!  I like the Ranger tool set better but it is a bit thicker than the Explorer!

I have never owned a SOG PPP but I do like the idea of customizing it and having the ability to replace parts easily.  I also like the size of it but I don't care for combo blades!  :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:14:52 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:53:22 PM
Nice review!  If you ever had/used a Rebar, what would your thoughts on that be? 

I had a Rebar. It was good. The only real drawback to it is the lack of scissors and no outside accessible tools. It's a solid package at a slightly high price, but it just doesn't offer anything that makes it an obvious choice, compared to its competition. I exchanged mine for a SOG PowerLock.

Just curious as I just sold mine off and only have the big Surge here with the replaceable cutters!
The Surge is fantastic. I wish they'd make the same tool configuration for the Wave.

My main carry is the sak, either an Explorer or a Ranger!  I like the Ranger tool set better but it is a bit thicker than the Explorer!
Both of those are awesome SAKs. Explorer is a perennial favorite here. It is my personal favorite 91mm SAK.

I have never owned a SOG PPP but I do like the idea of customizing it and having the ability to replace parts easily.  I also like the size of it but I don't care for combo blades!  :)
One of the things you can change on it is the blade, to a plain edged one. I plan to do that, in time.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 08:03:42 PM
Nice review!  If you ever had/used a Rebar, what would your thoughts on that be? 

I had a Rebar. It was good. The only real drawback to it is the lack of scissors and no outside accessible tools. It's a solid package at a slightly high price, but it just doesn't offer anything that makes it an obvious choice, compared to its competition. I exchanged mine for a SOG PowerLock.

Is the Powerlock different than the one you reviewed or same one?  I ask because I see that SOG offers quite a few different models and I am not familiar with them! 

Just curious as I just sold mine off and only have the big Surge here with the replaceable cutters!
The Surge is fantastic. I wish they'd make the same tool configuration for the Wave.

Yeah, I tried the Wave a few times along time ago and never warmed up to it.  Just didn't like the feel of it in my hand and it was so tight, I could not get it to loosen up over time either!

My main carry is the sak, either an Explorer or a Ranger!  I like the Ranger tool set better but it is a bit thicker than the Explorer!
Both of those are awesome SAKs. Explorer is a perennial favorite here. It is my personal favorite 91mm SAK.

Yes, I like the Explorer alot as well as the Ranger.  I only have a couple of sak's and these two models are rotated depending on my daily needs or what I feel like carrying.  Most of the time, if not all the time I used a P-7 clip when I wear jeans so it hangs vertical in my front pocket so it feels less bulky.  In shorts, I just throw one in one of the cargo pockets.

I like the inline philips as I have a small 1/4 bit set and a modded socket that fits over the philips easily and without much play so I can use all kinds of 1/4 inch bits. 

One of the things you can change on it is the blade, to a plain edged one. I plan to do that, in time.

Sometime I will have to see if I can find a deal on one of those SOG PPP's and check out what tool options there are!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 09:06:18 PM
Good comparison. Very entertaining to see once again. Specially liked that you showed those extra tools at the end.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:03:06 PM
Nice video review.  :cheers: it's always nice to see what someone else thinks of certain tools. I was planning on doing a review of similar tools. I must say however I wouldn't compare the spirit and wave to the mp400 and ppp. The wave and spirit would be better compared to the diesel and powerlock. Or to go the other way, compare the mp400 and ppp with the wingman, and.....well victorinox doesn't have a tool in that category so maybe deluxe tinker  ???  anyway, They are all medium duty but the tool sets vary in a way that makes it an uneven scale. Also, very nice cameo for the workchamp.  :D

after thought:
I wonder if victorinox would develop a pliers based tool similar to the wingman, ppp, etc...in that category?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:06:40 PM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:54:03 PM
Like it, good comparison!  :tu:
Ease of carry is the MOST important characteristic of a MT, IMO. (I think Spirit is the best MT ever but I amnt going to carry it at all, only leave in backpack as backup) 
Any MT over 5 oz I find them uncomfortable to carry in sheath. and no offence to anyone, but MT in sheath screams blue collar to me ; because the only places I seen people with MT in sheath are hardware stores or job sites.

So Wave with pocket clip is the way to go for me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:14:49 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:03:05 PM
I like it, good comparison!  :tu:
I am no fan of sheath carry MT, so Wave is the way to go for me.
I wasn't either, but the spirit changed that for me. I dont mind the velcro, much better than the pos leather sheath you get with leatherman. :facepalm: plus the spirit is too elegant for a pocket clip. But I live the deep carry pocket clip on the wave. So they both win :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:06:04 PM

MT in sheath screams blue collar to me ; because the only places I seen people with MT in sheath are hardware stores.

No offense taken, because I agree. At work (manufacturing) I sheath carry. Outside work is definitely pocket carry. I prefer the spirit at work and switchplier elsewhere

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:38 AM
Well I pocket carry everything pretty much, so it's a bit of a moot point for me. I don't sheath carry for the simple reason that it's a pain to put on and take off, plus when you go to the bathroom your belt unfurls and the sheath goes thud on the floor. Not so bad at home (but still annoying), but not so good elsewhere when you don't know when the floor was last cleaned  :ahhh I also find a sheath to telegraph the fact that I'm carrying a tool, and in certain environments it can be a snag hazard. So it doesn't matter if I'm carrying a Balance, Spirit, Diesel, Powerlock, it's always right front pocket, jacket pocket, or cargo pocket.

Nice overview Jeremy. You highlighted different aspects to what I would have done, but that's the beauty of these things. Everyone sees different strengths and weaknesses, and it's always interesting to hear what makes or breaks a tool for someone  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 01:57:38 AM
Well I pocket carry everything pretty much, so it's a bit of a moot point for me. I don't sheath carry for the simple reason that it's a pain to put on and take off, plus when you go to the bathroom your belt unfurls and the sheath goes thud on the floor. Not so bad at home (but still annoying), but not so good elsewhere when you don't know when the floor was last cleaned  :ahhh I also find a sheath to telegraph the fact that I'm carrying a tool, and in certain environments it can be a snag hazard. So it doesn't matter if I'm carrying a Balance, Spirit, Diesel, Powerlock, it's always right front pocket, jacket pocket, or cargo pocket.
-snip-

You need THUNDERWEAR!!!!  Two pockets so you can carry your MT next to your SAK.....

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:22 AM
 :rofl:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:29 AM

Multitools and bladed items can cause raised eyebrows in some settings as it is, without adding to it by publically sticking your hand down your tweeds and saying "hang on, let me just get my tool out"  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:08 AM

Multitools and bladed items can cause raised eyebrows in some settings as it is, without adding to it by publically sticking your hand down your tweeds and saying "hang on, let me just get my tool out"  :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:45 AM
Nothing wrong with blue collar. Or screaming blue collar by sheath carrying tools. I grew up blue collar, my first jobs were blue collar, and I wouldn't be ashamed if I were STILL blue collar. I miss the blue collar days, where I was on my feet instead of my ass. Doing things with my hands and arms, instead of just my fingertips. In those days, I didn't have to work so hard just not to be flabby.

The white collar guys can do their geeky things, like wear Bluetooth headsets around, and carry huge smartphones on their belts.

If you want to look white collar, just get a BIGGER sheath, so that it will be mistaken for a geeky cell phone one.

In the end, I don't sheath carry at work at my white collar job. Not because I'm afraid to look blue collar, but because it is unnecessary. It's just as easy and quick to get to my MT in a desk drawer or desk top.

On weekends, when I stand a chance of actually doing more physical work, I sheath carry unabashedly. My wife sometimes puts her arms around me, hits the MT and shakes her head. Too late to be ashamed of my geekiness, because she's stuck with me now!  :D

For her part, she is so .... rustic.... sometimes. (grew up in rural China) She had some allergic reaction the other week. Looked like poison ivy. itchy bumps all over her body. But she REFUSED to go see the doctor and get a 'script'. Just suffered through it for two weeks, sleeping badly, looking like a miserable little monkey. I'm glad it wasn't poison ivy, because if it was, and I caught it, I'd have been pretty ticked. We all have our weaknesses, right? ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:17:16 AM
By the way; thanks for the comments here. Feel free to leave them on YouTube too. Sometimes, there are good discussions in the comments sections of YouTube videos.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 10:25:42 AM
Good video mate. :tu:  By the way, if you like outside accessible tools (including great scissors), OHO blades and OHO pliers that are comfortable to use you need to have a play with the Gerber Flik.  It lacks any kind of file, the can opener sucks at opening cans and the saw isn't great, but other than that I really like it. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 10:46:20 AM
Im all for pouch carry as well,but not in normal day to day activitie , but when i had my maintenance jobi carried a mt in a pouch plus extra pouch for ascessories , im working on a new job at the moment and hopefully ill pouch carry my wave or spirit daily  :tu:

Offline SomeOneWho

Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 08:26:03 PM
The two great things about the SOG sheath are the clip and the fact that the Spirit fits perfectly in it.  The Spirit (in SOG sheath) stay in my laptop bag most of the time.  When needed, I just clip it to my belt and go. 

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 10:15:28 AM
Really great comparison.
Useful since it seems made with minimal bias, simply puttning pros and cons on the table as you see them. You notice also that you have real experience using all for some time. Normally often the reviwer have one new tool that he still has this blind love for and is not fair comparing it to the older tools in his collection.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%