Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All the fuss about Suspensions...

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
All the fuss about Suspensions...
on: August 30, 2015, 02:23:15 AM
Well, I guess I finally understand some of all the fuss, that's been going around, about the Suspension being a sub-par multitool. To be honest, I've been loving it, up until now. The easy-to-access blades, the easy-to-sharpen main blade, the scissors, the drivers (when I didn't have my SAK on me) and the rather powerful pliers. I've literally carried this damn thing to work every single day, since I got it.
Up until now...

Earlier this evening, I was trying to cut a hairpin - I needed a flat end and this particular kind of hairpin, has drop-shaped ends. I figured that would be no match for the might Suspension; after all, it is a Gerber tool.
So I get the hairpin in the plierhead and press down on it and suddenly... snap! I was kinda surprised that I took so much force, just to break a damn hairpin, but at least I got it. I released the handles and took the hairpin out, only to see that it practically hadn't got a single mark. "Hmm, weird", I thought. "Let's try again". Put the hairpin back in the plierhead, press down on the handles...
Felt wrong - took a look, and realized that the handles closed alot more, than they did before. Took an even better look, and saw that one of the tabs, that locks the plierhead in place, had bend, pretty badly. Not just that, it had actually severed, into two pieces.
On top of that, it seems like there's a hair-split (is that the proper term?) right where the two halfs of the plierhead are connected.

After that failure, I pulled out my MP600 and started snapping away at the hairpins - they practically cut themselves, as soon as they see the mighty MP600.

I'm guessing that I'm far from the first one to experience this, so I'm wondering what your advice would be? Sure, I could send it to Gerber and most likely get a new tool back, but if I have to cover the shipping cost from Denmark to Oregon, I might as well just keep this one and buy a new one from England.

So, what do you say?

P.S: Sorry about the long post - I'm frustated, that my primary EDC-tool has been defeated by a single hairpin...
broken piece 2.jpg
* broken piece 2.jpg (Filesize: 113.27 KB)
fine side.jpg
* fine side.jpg (Filesize: 89.16 KB)
handles closed.jpg
* handles closed.jpg (Filesize: 109.64 KB)
broken side.jpg
* broken side.jpg (Filesize: 85.44 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: All the fuss about Suspensions...
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 AM
Broken pliers on a Suspension?  I did that to one in a store once..... ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 02:40:40 AM
Broken pliers on a Suspension?  I did that to one in a store once..... ::)

I actually remember reading that post - and yet, I still ended up buying one...  :whistle:
 If only the MP600 had an outside blade (and I had a sheath for it), I'd happily use that instead.
Just remembered - I've got a whole month to come up with a replacement; gotta carry the Squirt through september.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:47:36 AM
It's the funny thing,the Suspension isn't a terrible tool,it's not bad for light use. As I said before,I'd rather have a Suspension than a WM/SK!

I'd say it's worth finding out the ins and outs of making the warrantee claim :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:13:57 PM
It's the funny thing,the Suspension isn't a terrible tool,it's not bad for light use. As I said before,I'd rather have a Suspension than a WM/SK!

I'd say it's worth finding out the ins and outs of making the warrantee claim :pok:

Kirk, normally I would, but it would cost me just about 40USD just to send the tool over - I only paid around 20-25USD for the tool, to begin with.
To be honest, as it is right now, it's problably gonna end up on a shelf somewhere or in a drawer and I'll get myself a new multitool - perhaps a Leatherman or maybe even SOG this time.

EDIT: BTW, I wouldn't exactly classify cutting hairpins as anything other than medium use - still think it should be able to stand up to it. Especially considering how easy my MP600 cuts through nails.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:15:05 PM by Freaver »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 12:53:32 PM
I think I should have the broken part as spare in a box. I once disassembled a Gerber Evo where one of the parts was broken and used the inside tools for mods on other tools.

Is only one of the plierhead-rests broken or did you break both?

As for Tools with outside accesible tools, did you think about a Spirit?  :pok:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:54:33 PM by lowtech »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 01:12:00 PM
I think I should have the broken part as spare in a box. I once disassembled a Gerber Evo where one of the parts was broken and used the inside tools for mods on other tools.

Is only one of the plierhead-rests broken or did you break both?

As for Tools with outside accesible tools, did you think about a Spirit?  :pok:

It's only broken on one side - the other side is fine. Seems like it should be pretty easy to replace.
For some reason, the Victorinox MTs just never spoke to me. Something about their design I don't like. Which is quite odd, considering how much I love the designs of SAKs...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 01:17:40 PM
You shouldn't need to send the tool to the US, just to your nearest Fiskars agent. Go to Gerber's website (which will automatically default to nearest domain) and see what they say.

I tried looking at your pics but couldn't see where the hairline fracture might have been on the pliers pivot. If either half is cracked, a replacement pliers rest won't help.

As to alternatives, maybe a Strata would be an option for you.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 01:22:53 PM
You shouldn't need to send the tool to the US, just to your nearest Fiskars agent. Go to Gerber's website (which will automatically default to nearest domain) and see what they say.

I tried looking at your pics but couldn't see where the hairline fracture might have been on the pliers pivot. If either half is cracked, a replacement pliers rest won't help.

As to alternatives, maybe a Strata would be an option for you.

Everytime I go to Gerbers website, it shows me the American site - under Warranty, it specifically says the tool will have to be shipped to Portland. But I can try contacting them and see what they say.
I didn't notice the fracture until after I snapped the photos. I'll take a picture of it later and put it up. Might just have been a small scratch, but I didn't have proper light at the time.

Looks like I should take a closer look at the Strata - those replaceable carbide cutters...  :drool:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:27:50 PM
Another option is try Fiskars global site, and search by country. You might have a local office or importer who can help.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:01 PM
It would actually seem like the hardware store right across from where I work, is a Fiskars dealer. I'll try and take it there in the coming week and see what they say. :)
Worst case scenario: They want nothing to do with it, since I didn't buy it from them.
Best case scenario: They make sure I get a brand new Suspension - or maybe even a Strata.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:39 PM
 :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 01:57:52 PM
If these options fail and you decide to attempt a repair, PM me and I´ll try to equip you with teh needed parts.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 02:19:20 PM
If these options fail and you decide to attempt a repair, PM me and I´ll try to equip you with teh needed parts.

Will do. :)

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:18 AM
Just been at the hardware store I mentioned earlier - due to the fact that the Suspension is technically illegal (OHO blades), there's nothing they can do. As I was told, they won't even touch the tool, which is fair, IMHO.

Now I just gotta figure out if I'm gonna try and repair it or maybe try to make something like Kampfer's PLSK out of it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:23 AM

Now I just gotta figure out if I'm gonna try and repair it or maybe try to make something like Kampfer's PLSK out of it.
:popcorn:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:11 AM

Don't get your hopes up, just yet. I've never tried modding a multitool before, so I'd be going in, completely blank.  :think:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:28 AM

Don't get your hopes up, just yet. I've never tried modding a multitool before, so I'd be going in, completely blank.  :think:
That is exactly why I :popcorn:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:30 PM
Been trying to post an update, with some comments on my progress in the disassembling, along with pictures, but my computer kept crashing, so I have to post from my phone.
So far I've removed the handles from the pliers, almost without any problems, but the bolts on the tool-side, seems a lot tougher. I've already partially stripped one of them, just trying to get it loose.
I'm guessing they've got a bit of loctite during manufacturing. Would a normal lighter give enough heat to dissolve it, without damaging the rubber on the handles? Or should I try something else instead?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 05:18:40 AM
The lighter should work fine.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:50:43 PM
Just got my laptop reverted back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, so hopefully I'll now be able to actually write a complete post, before it crashes again...  :facepalm:

It took me some time, but the handles and pliers got seperated rather easy - the screws and posts were a bit tighter than I would've thought, but I managed.
When I got the plier rests of the pliers, I inspected them and saw that the one which failed, has a hairline fracture, at the point where the pliers meets the handles. Might have been an old damage or maybe even something that slipped through QC at Gerber? The fracture goes all around the post-area, making it look like it's two pieces of metal stamped together. The other plier rest still looks fine, except for a bit dirt and residue of lubricants.

So, at this point, I could just attach a new plier rest and assemble it all again, but as mentioned earlier, I'm kinda interested in making a Gerber-ized version of Kampfer's PLSK. However, the screws at the tool-side are starting to seem like they've been welded together in the middle. I just can't get them loose. I can turn them individually just fine, but when I try to turn both sides together, in order to loosen them, they're stuck. I'm having the problem on both handles. I've tried heating the screws with a lighter, in order to loosen up any Loctite that might be in there, but with no effect.
Well, with a bit of effect... I've ended up partially stripping the screws.  :facepalm:
So, in order to get any further, I problably need to "change" the head of the screws (I don't know the right word, sorry), so I can get a better grip.
I'm guessing the screws are aluminium, since they seem rather soft. Would it be possible to cut a groove in them and then remove them with a flathead screwdriver?
I'm guessing it's either that or carefully drilling them out and either replacing them with something else or see if I can get the originals, either from Ger :gimme:ber or from one of their dealers.

Lastly, I'm sorry about the purple hue in some of the pictures - I had to take the pictures with my phone...
And I'm sorry, if it seems like I'm rambling.  :ahhh
2015-09-01 20.46.38.jpg
* 2015-09-01 20.46.38.jpg (Filesize: 189.79 KB)
2015-09-01 20.55.19.jpg
* 2015-09-01 20.55.19.jpg (Filesize: 183.74 KB)
2015-09-01 20.48.08.jpg
* 2015-09-01 20.48.08.jpg (Filesize: 200.12 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:44 AM
Would it be possible to cut a groove in them and then remove them with a flathead screwdriver?

:tu:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 01:28:45 AM
I just picked up one of these used for a great price, only to log on and see this thread.   :rant: 

Please keep us posted on any mods you make.  I haven't really seen anyone do anything with these tools.  I'd be interested to see if that crap saw could be subbed for something useful like a file.  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:31:15 AM by NetsNJ »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 07:36:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's a good tool. You just gotta know it's limits; you're probably not gonna cut barbed wire with the Suspension, but paperclips and small nails are no match for the pliers. Regarding exchanging the saw, I'm not gonna for anything like that; I'm only gonna move tools around. :-)

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 08:07:45 PM
After a minor setback yesterday, regarding some stripped screws, I'm back in action. I used a vise grip and a hacksaw to carefully cut grooves in the screws, so I could loosen them. It ain't pretty, but it works. Right now, the tool is completely disassembled and I'm about to start putting the puzzle together.
I might be able to have tools at both ends, sinila

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:10:57 PM
After a minor setback yesterday, regarding some stripped screws, I'm back in action. I used a vise grip and a hacksaw to carefully cut grooves in the screws, so I could loosen them. It ain't pretty, but it works. Right now, the tool is completely disassembled and I'm about to start putting the puzzle together.
I might be able to have tools at both ends, similar to the PLSK, but I don't think the handles are long enough for that.
I'm taking pictures along the way and, if people are interested, I'll make a post with pictures and descriptions. :-)

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:15 PM
Yes, keep us posted.  :tu:

Let me ask you, since you seemed to EDC this thing.  How did you find the drivers?  Particularly, the Phillips driver?  I've heard really different things on these.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 09:20:07 PM
Yes, keep us posted.  :tu:

Let me ask you, since you seemed to EDC this thing.  How did you find the drivers?  Particularly, the Phillips driver?  I've heard really different things on these.

The Philips driver on this tool isn't great, IMHO. I haven't really found any screws where I'd rather use the Suspension over a SAK. Luckily, I usually EDC both. To be honest, I prefer the flat Philips on the Squirt, over the Philips on the Suspension. The flathead are okay though - haven't really had any problems with those, except for their weird angles.
But, as always, your mileage may vary.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:53 PM
I might be able to have tools at both ends, similar to the PLSK, but I don't think the handles are long enough for that.
I'm taking pictures along the way and, if people are interested, I'll make a post with pictures and descriptions. :-)

I am sorry to say I have discarded the plier rests together with the handles. But I do have different Gerber tool implements out of different tools - Let me know if you are missing something.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:15 PM

I am sorry to say I have discarded the plier rests together with the handles. But I do have different Gerber tool implements out of different tools - Let me know if you are missing something.

That's okay. :) Would have been kind of incredible, if you just happened to have that small part anyway. ;)

After fiddling around for a couple of hours, I got the first prototype ready. It took me a bit longer than it should, because... Well, I'm stupid.  :pok: Had a bit trouble, understanding the tabbed washers, that went between the tools and it took me some time, to figure out how to get all the tools and washers on the screw-post, but I made it work.
Still got some work on this prototype though. The Philips driver, right next to the PE blade, is impossible to get to, unless I unfold either the blade or the large flathead next to it. The small flathead might need a new position as well and I'll need either an extra washer or a thicker one, between the small flathead and the scissors, so they'll stay in place.

For obvious reasons, this hasn't been tightened all the way down yet, so I don't know yet if the rattling is due to everything being loose, or a lack of a washer.

I chose to reuse one of the old plier rests, in order to give the handle some stability - in this setup, the plier rest is pretty much the only thing, that makes sure the handles won't get smashed together, if I were to squeeze hard on it.

The tools I've omitted so far, are the saw, the serrated blade, the combo opener tool and the lanyard ring. The serrated blade and PE blade wouldn't be able to work together, unless I drilled a few holdes in the handle and had tools on both ends.
2015-09-03 22.01.47.jpg
* 2015-09-03 22.01.47.jpg (Filesize: 170.62 KB)
2015-09-03 22.10.38.jpg
* 2015-09-03 22.10.38.jpg (Filesize: 145.51 KB)
2015-09-03 22.10.56.jpg
* 2015-09-03 22.10.56.jpg (Filesize: 179.33 KB)
2015-09-03 22.11.42.jpg
* 2015-09-03 22.11.42.jpg (Filesize: 154.84 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%