Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All the fuss about Suspensions...

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: All the fuss about Suspensions...
Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 11:12:31 PM
Looks cool man.   :salute:  How does it feel in the hand?

Given the preponderance of cheap Suspension knockoffs on the market, and the width of those goddamn washers Gerber put on this thing, it would be interesting to see what pieces you could take off the shelf from multi-tools bought for cheap and stuck on this thing without much sacrifice.  (I happen to like clumping personally.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:16:39 PM by NetsNJ »

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:10 PM
Being used to a "full" version, it feels a little small, but I actually like it. I have a feeling that the drivers are easier to use like this, since the tool is more centered on the axis you are turning it. Opening and closing the blade are still pretty easy and I didn't feel like I was going to drop it or it would slip out of my hand.

If you are willing to make a few alterations, there are probably a lot of knock off tools, which could be fitted to the frame - I'm more a plug-and-play type, I don't wanna mess too much with grinding and sanding to make the implements fit.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 06:51:16 PM
Got a bit more time, to play around with it today. I'm more or less set on the choice of implements - PE blade, the two flatheads, Phillips and scissors - but I'm having a bit of trouble with positioning the three drivers.
The current setup is PE blade, small flathead, large flathead, Phillips and scissor, in that order. The small flathead next to the blade sinks a bit down, so I have to dig a bit, to get to the nail nick, but it's possible. The Phillips however... I just can't find a position, where I can get to it. I can't really explain it, I think the picture shows what I mean; no matter what I do, it keeps ending up in a position where I have to raise another implement, to get to the nail nick or I have to open it like on a SAK, by getting a finger in between the old plier rest in the end and the driver itself.

It's not impossible to use it like this, it's just not aesthetically pleasing.
I guess it made sense for Gerber to make the Phillips with the shortest nail nick of all the tools, in the "normal" configuration, but right now, that choice is a real PITA...  :bnghd:
2015-09-05 18.32.19.jpg
* 2015-09-05 18.32.19.jpg (Filesize: 138.64 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 02:54:57 AM
I've had this problem before. A little work with a file or dremel will fix it. Old pics but they show the idea.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 08:10:16 PM
I just found my old suspension plier head, think I've got a rest somewhere if you'd like them  :)

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:00 PM
Zoidberg, that might be the answer. Even though I'm not too keen on filing or grinding on the tools - as I said earlier, I'm plug-and-play type, but I'll take a look at it tomorrow, see if I can make it happen.

SAKnight, where in the world do you live? I've needed a larger multitool several times today, so I'd might be interested in buying that rest of you - assuming that shipping isn't gonna make it ridiculously expensive. :-)

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 11:00:29 PM
I've just looked over the tool, and Zoidbergs suggestion - grinding grooves in the tools, before the nail-nick, to make neighbouring tools more accessible - seems like it might work. Won't be able to try it out, until I get back to work again in a few days, as I don't have the proper tools at home, but it should be doable.

On a slightly related note, would any of you happen to know how big the open hole in the Surge pocket clip is? And how long the entire clip is? I'm thinking about buying one and putting on this mod, but I'd like to make sure that it's not too big, before I order anything. :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 03:22:42 PM
I'll try to locate the clips tomorrow and get some measurements for you.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:54 PM
I've been playing with this thing the last few days, and I have to say I don't understand the hatred of this tool here.  I kind of like it.  It is clunky and stiff (I bought it used for cheap, so not sure if the stiffness is inherent to the product line or just poor care from previous owner), but I like all the tools on it except for the saw.  It feels good in my hands and wasn't nearly as cheap or ungainly as I expected.  I don't mind the stubby blades, they work fine for what I would want MT blades for. The one thing that annoys me is those damn washers in between all the tools, so much wasted space.  That said, I haven't done any hard tasks with it yet....  :-\

Freaver and/or Zoidberg: since you've dissaseembled this tool, does loosening the axis screws on the tool side do anything for the stiffness of the tools?  On some MTs this helps, on some it doesn't. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:52:39 PM by NetsNJ »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
I've been playing with this thing the last few days, and I have to say I don't understand the hatred of this tool here.  I kind of like it.  It is clunky and stiff (I bought it used for cheap, so not sure if the stiffness is inherent to the product line or just poor care from previous owner), but I like all the tools on it except for the saw.  It feels good in my hands and wasn't nearly as cheap or ungainly as I expected.  I don't mind the stubby blades, they work fine for what I would want MT blades for. The one thing that annoys me is those damn washers in between all the tools, so much wasted space.  That said, I haven't done any hard tasks with it yet....  :-\

Freaver and/or Zoidberg: since you've dissaseembled this tool, does loosening the axis screws on the tool side do anything for the stiffness of the tools?  On some MTs this helps, on some it doesn't.

You just have to take it for what it is - if you just need it for light use, it's fine. The saw isn't great, but I've used it on several occasions; for me, it was better than going across town to get a proper saw, but only just.

Regarding the screws, I've actually had to tighten the screws on the tool side several times. Over time, they worked themselves loose, so I'd risk the PE blade would open, when I was using another implement on that side.
On the one I have, I just had to loosen one side - even though the other side problably will follow, it helped loosen the tools a bit. Can't say whether that's a "malfunction" on mine or not.

I'll try to locate the clips tomorrow and get some measurements for you.
Thanks.  :tu:

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #40 on: September 26, 2015, 11:27:41 PM
Finally got around to working a bit more on this. Well... Actually, just tightening everything up and making sure everything works. Haven't swapped around any of the tools since last and haven't grinded new nail nicks in any of them yet - just trying to get it ready for pocket-duty, for next month.
Feel like the thumbstud on the blade might end up being a hotspot in my pocket, but we'll see.

I'm awaiting more parts in the mail, courtesy of SAKnight, so I might end up making a few more adjustments.

Zoidberg, did you by any chance got the measuremens of the Surge pocket clip? :)

Offline mikekoz

Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:16 PM
Well, I guess I finally understand some of all the fuss, that's been going around, about the Suspension being a sub-par multitool. To be honest, I've been loving it, up until now. The easy-to-access blades, the easy-to-sharpen main blade, the scissors, the drivers (when I didn't have my SAK on me) and the rather powerful pliers. I've literally carried this damn thing to work every single day, since I got it.
Up until now...

Earlier this evening, I was trying to cut a hairpin - I needed a flat end and this particular kind of hairpin, has drop-shaped ends. I figured that would be no match for the might Suspension; after all, it is a Gerber tool.
So I get the hairpin in the plierhead and press down on it and suddenly... snap! I was kinda surprised that I took so much force, just to break a damn hairpin, but at least I got it. I released the handles and took the hairpin out, only to see that it practically hadn't got a single mark. "Hmm, weird", I thought. "Let's try again". Put the hairpin back in the plierhead, press down on the handles...
Felt wrong - took a look, and realized that the handles closed alot more, than they did before. Took an even better look, and saw that one of the tabs, that locks the plierhead in place, had bend, pretty badly. Not just that, it had actually severed, into two pieces.
On top of that, it seems like there's a hair-split (is that the proper term?) right where the two halfs of the plierhead are connected.

After that failure, I pulled out my MP600 and started snapping away at the hairpins - they practically cut themselves, as soon as they see the mighty MP600.

I'm guessing that I'm far from the first one to experience this, so I'm wondering what your advice would be? Sure, I could send it to Gerber and most likely get a new tool back, but if I have to cover the shipping cost from Denmark to Oregon, I might as well just keep this one and buy a new one from England.

So, what do you say?

P.S: Sorry about the long post - I'm frustated, that my primary EDC-tool has been defeated by a single hairpin...

I am curious...how long did you have/use it before it broke? The Suspension has been around a long time. Maybe you just wore it out over time!  :D

Offline mikekoz

Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:58 PM
    I also do not understand why most seem to dislike this tool. I no longer use mine, and it is probably about 10 years old, but I never had an issue with it. Like a few others have said, it is for light, everyday use. It will not disassemble your car engine or saw down the oak tree in your back yard  :rofl:, but I think it is a good tool for what it was designed to do. Not high end by any means, but still a good tool!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 05:46:17 PM
I've had it for less than a year, before it broke. To be honest, I'm blaming myself - I though too much of the pliers cutting ability and have been trying them out on stuff that was just too hard.
Although, I wouldn't have though the cutting a hairpin, would end up being the end of the pliers...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 12:52:20 PM
Finally got around to working a bit more on this. Well... Actually, just tightening everything up and making sure everything works. Haven't swapped around any of the tools since last and haven't grinded new nail nicks in any of them yet - just trying to get it ready for pocket-duty, for next month.
Feel like the thumbstud on the blade might end up being a hotspot in my pocket, but we'll see.

I'm awaiting more parts in the mail, courtesy of SAKnight, so I might end up making a few more adjustments.

Zoidberg, did you by any chance got the measuremens of the Surge pocket clip? :)

Not forgotten, just haven't got to it yet sorry.  :facepalm:

us Offline anon

Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:34 PM
One of my neighbours has a Suspension, its oversized and not as good as other brands.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #46 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:37 PM
Freaver, any updates?   :think:

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:40 PM
Nope. Nothing to report. Haven't been carrying the tool, for more than a few days. Haven't really had any situations where I'd rather carry this mod, than my SAK. Part of that, is due to the thumbstud on the knife - it tends to be pressed into my thigh whenever I sit or walk. The idea is okay, but for it to truly be a usable mod, I need to do something about the opening of the blade.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 12:13:33 PM
I still need to find that clip.  :facepalm:

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 12:18:04 PM
I still need to find that clip.  :facepalm:

No rush Zoid - the project has more or less been stopped for now. :-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%