Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Switchplier 2.0 running review

styx · 33 · 5199

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
SOG Switchplier 2.0 running review
on: August 31, 2015, 10:17:29 AM
As some of you know I've won the SOG Switchplier 2.0 in a giveaway here on MTO as a part of the 9th anniversary giveaway frenzy that was going on here.

Since my life has gotten a bit hectic this is probably the best way to conduct this review since purpose made testing is not my forte and using on the go is.

So here is the initial look at how it came and your run of the mill size comparison.

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Re: SOG Switchplier 2.0 running review
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:27:32 AM
First impressions are that it is a bit heavy for pocket carry, although that might be more due to it's thickness and still showing a bit more of the tool than I'd like due to the positioning of the pocket clip. IWB carry on gym shorts works for me only between the 12 and 1 position.

The tools have a nice lockup, they do clump a bit more than I'd like but again this is just me and getting spoiled by Vic Spirit for years.

Outside of some minor use, the first real task came today and I am not a happy camper. I'm cooking chilli and opening cans is something that oddly happens often in my household (and outside of it too  :think: )
The can opener looks exactly like a Vic can opener so I figured there wouldn't be a problem. Until I noticed that it wasn't sharpened and that the angle of the tool towards the can. It was odd but doable. Still in my book it ranks lower than the Alox Bantam in that category and the Bantam is only there due to it's greatest asset - the thinness, making it somewhat awkward and uncomfortable.

Really looks like a chainsaw mangled it

Your average Vic

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:47 PM
SOG aren't exactly renowned for having the worlds best can opener  ;)

From a carry perspective, my only issue is the lack of grip. The tool seems to have enough purchase in hand, but despite the reasonably strong clip, the tool doesn't have much traction when clipped to a pocket due to the smooth finish.

You seem to have based your views on the tool pretty much on one function so far. Is this because it's the only function you've used? Are you using a standard load out, and do you have any thoughts on the other features of the tool yet?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:24:04 PM
This was the first use of the can opener and I think the solution might be to move the tool itself closer to the side and to sharpen it. That might fix it.

So far this is the standard load out.

The screwdrivers have seen some minor use as did the pliers but nothing spectacular and no pictures. The Phillips did work well on screws that were in PVC and had some bonding agent on them (either Loctite or something similar). However the sample size is too small to form any sort of an opinion since the sizes of Phillips and the materials they are being screwed into or out of can vary a lot.
Cans on the other hand just have different sizes and I have found the larger ones to be easier to open than the smaller ones hence the lack of optimism.

The pliers were used in a spectacular fashion to grab something hot and put it to the side. While they did the job I don't think that would qualify as having an overwhelming amount of experience with them.

I didn't have a lot of problems with the tool staying in the pocket.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:30:46 PM
In that case I look forward to future updates  :tu: :D

:cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:49:40 PM
Had a chance to give a good running to the bottle opener because after a hard day's work some of us enjoy a cold brew. It took a bit of getting used to (read 1 beer) because I think it is more shallow than the Vic bottle opener. I'll take some comparison shots tomorrow to confirm this. All in all it worked very well.

My friend tried it too and was impressed by Switchplier's opening mechanism and even participated in my the tool pic snapping craziness as you can see

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:52:03 AM
Yo! What gives? I was just getting into reading about your experiences and then the abrupt end of the thread. :D Any updates for us?

I got a SP2 around the same time you did, and have carried it a lot. I like it, too, but have really only used it in pretty much the same applications that you have described so far.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:45:20 AM
My job pretty much killed this. Can't really take pics.

However I can say what the tool itself has survived since September:
- Taking apart and putting together furniture
- Taking apart and putting together the copy machine
- Battling with a stapler
- Being used as pruning shears
- Pulling staples out of my hand
- Pulling splinters out of my hand
- Peeling and cutting fruit
- Cutting one of those mechanic's keyrings
- Rescuing a LM that got stuck cutting the aforementioned keyring (Wave head)
- Cutting calluses (although not filing them)
- Scaring a kid to go to the dentist (that spring opening is fun)

So far I would say that there are some detriments (can opener!!) but as an edc bag tool it has performed wonderfully.
Would I change anything about it, besides the can opener? My personal preference would be to exchange the blade for a dedicated fully serrated one with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe shape since this is a working tool and the idea of using it as a dedicated knife is not something that I find appealing

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:48:36 AM
My personal preference would be to exchange the blade for a dedicated fully serrated one with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe shape since this is a working tool and the idea of using it as a dedicated knife is not something that I find appealing

You mean something like this ?

http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/3-serrated-blade-666.html
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:52 PM
I mean exactly that

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:40:45 PM
Thanks for this great review styx!  And I'm really digging that sheep's foot blade :tu: I actually don't have any of those in my spare parts bag.
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
My job pretty much killed this. Can't really take pics.

However I can say what the tool itself has survived since September:
- Taking apart and putting together furniture
- Taking apart and putting together the copy machine
- Battling with a stapler
- Being used as pruning shears
- Pulling staples out of my hand
- Pulling splinters out of my hand
- Peeling and cutting fruit
- Cutting one of those mechanic's keyrings
- Rescuing a LM that got stuck cutting the aforementioned keyring (Wave head)
- Cutting calluses (although not filing them)
- Scaring a kid to go to the dentist (that spring opening is fun)

So far I would say that there are some detriments (can opener!!) but as an edc bag tool it has performed wonderfully.
Would I change anything about it, besides the can opener? My personal preference would be to exchange the blade for a dedicated fully serrated one with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe shape since this is a working tool and the idea of using it as a dedicated knife is not something that I find appealing

Oh man, bummer. Well, it sounds like you have put it to some tough tests. Glad to hear it has been as useful on bigger tasks (COPY MACHINE!?!?) as it has been for me on smaller ones.

Also, friendly reminder: don't staple hand :tu:

:D
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 07:36:06 PM
well that's what happens when your IT department is full of lazy bums (they are supposed to take care of the copy machines)

I'd actually like to run the SP2 through even more home repair stuff and DIY projects since that's where I see it as most useful. In many ways it falls in some void between the medium sized tools like the Rebar and Spirit and the smaller Juice line in my eyes

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
well that's what happens when your IT department is full of lazy bums (they are supposed to take care of the copy machines)

I'd actually like to run the SP2 through even more home repair stuff and DIY projects since that's where I see it as most useful. In many ways it falls in some void between the medium sized tools like the Rebar and Spirit and the smaller Juice line in my eyes

Agreed. I sort of look at it as being in the same category as Wingman or Sidekick. I took the awl and file out of mine and put scissors in their place. It's very similar in capability to my Wingman, but more comfortable, all locking tools, lighter, etc...

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:04:54 PM

Agreed. I sort of look at it as being in the same category as Wingman or Sidekick. I took the awl and file out of mine and put scissors in their place. It's very similar in capability to my Wingman, but more comfortable, all locking tools, lighter, etc...
Double yes to both statements. The switch plier is very compact yet capable. I would expect it to beat the wave or powerlock but it is a great tool in its class. and it has a great fidget factor
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:51:25 PM
Must resist the dark side....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 12:31:46 AM
Why?

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 12:37:46 AM
Come join us
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 12:45:44 AM
Bring chocolate

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 01:16:58 AM

Join us!
 Might as well cross over completely, you already have a Surge. And the dark side has cookies.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline JP

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 01:43:45 AM
Ooooo, I want one now too. Drop the can opener for the scissors if possible.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 09:24:19 AM
I think the scissors are a bit long to replace the can opener.

Having said that, this is the tool for both of your Harley and JP. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 12:37:10 PM
It would have to be can opener and a long tool, so either the blade or the file.

ca Offline JP

Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 05:14:14 PM
Hmmmm, can opener and file it is then. Bolt the file onto the pocket clip.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 06:37:42 PM

Join us!
 Might as well cross over completely, you already have a Surge. And the dark side has cookies.

I do love me some cookies.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: December 23, 2015, 06:38:30 PM
I think the scissors are a bit long to replace the can opener.

Having said that, this is the tool for both of your Harley and JP. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Nice Star Wars quote.

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: December 23, 2015, 08:50:51 PM
thank you

us Offline BASguy

Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 05:27:52 AM
Had one for awhile.  It was a decent capable tool, just a bit lightweight for my needs.  Good review.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 09:09:56 PM
Had one for awhile.  It was a decent capable tool, just a bit lightweight for my needs.

My ex wife said the same thing once.

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 12:31:49 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, it has been an eventful year so far for the SP2.

Maestro cue the music (country western seems quite fitting)

I went to a party and it was good. Then it got less so when 2 people had a bit of a rumble. Fortunately a table got the worst of it as a part was torn. Can't expect much from chipboard although I would have expected the dowels to break as well. They didn't.

The SP2 helped me extract the dowels, make markings where I wanted to put 'em to make the table functional again, drill pilot holes with the awl and tidy 'em up with the knife. Only other thing used was a drill bit that I rotated with my bare hand.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $384.86
PayPal Fees: $20.11
Net Balance: $364.75
Above Goal: $64.75
Site Currency: USD
122%