Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Double pouch to carry a Leatherman Wave and a 21mm diameter torch?

it Offline Tommygunn

Since I'm renewing my EDC setup I'm looking for a compact double pouch to carry a Wave and a 21mm diameter Cree torch.
Ideally I want something like a Blackhawk double pistol mag pouch but with dimensions shrunk down by about a 1/3 to accomodate the above items snugly. Also, I would like closure flaps (not essential, read below) and for it to be belt mounted with a quick detach system.
I've looked at 'Ripoff', HSGI shock cord Taco pouches and Blue Force Gear but nothing is quite right.
The closest is probably the HSGI double pistol mag Taco which I can probably tighten right up to grip the tool and torch and not have to worry about a flap.
Anyone have any solutions for this size/arrangement problem?

Tom.

Below is a Blackhawk double pistol pouch for reference.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:51:28 PM by Tommygunn »

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Surprised nobody has said anything on this topic and I have no personal experience but Skinth seems like it would be what you are looking for.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Tossing out another idea.

I have been really enjoying Leatherman Molle sheaths.  If you carry a Wave then you might at some point want to take advantage of their bits and card plus extender.  With the Molle sheath you can accommodate the MT and extras and the light all in one easy sheath. 

Sorry pic doesn't show extender in sheath but it will fit in as well.
IMG_8693.JPG
* IMG_8693.JPG (Filesize: 203.89 KB)
IMG_8692.jpg
* IMG_8692.jpg (Filesize: 175.91 KB)
IMG_8694.jpg
* IMG_8694.jpg (Filesize: 204.06 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline Tommygunn

Aloha,
Is yours the Large or the XL version? It looks like a good solution but I would be a bit concerned about scuffing one tool against another but I suppose I could make a divider out of some plasticard etc.
Could you just explain how the molle strap works? It looks as though it works like a regular Blackhawk strap but instead both parts of the press stud seem to be attached to the strap and the end simply folds over itself and snap, correct?
It looks as though it would be perfect for attachment to a belt and quick detach at that?

Tom.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Aloha,
Is yours the Large or the XL version? It looks like a good solution but I would be a bit concerned about scuffing one tool against another but I suppose I could make a divider out of some plasticard etc.
Could you just explain how the molle strap works? It looks as though it works like a regular Blackhawk strap but instead both parts of the press stud seem to be attached to the strap and the end simply folds over itself and snap, correct?
It looks as though it would be perfect for attachment to a belt and quick detach at that?

Tom.

You nailed how it works. 

Its the regular Molle sheath the XL is also terrific.  I use a XL for my MUT, Surge, and OHT. 
IMG_8317.JPG
* IMG_8317.JPG (Filesize: 269.71 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Ok so the sheaths I posted above are both regular Molle sheaths.  I dont recall which came with my BO Wave and which came with my BO Rebar sorry.  There are some differences as you can see in the pics below, Leatherman is stitched across the top, grommet hole is larger on one, LM logo at the bottom is different and the interior "face" where the velco is is different. 

The XL Molle sheath is noticeably larger and has 2 opening behind the velcro.  It also has the elastic bands on either side which are nice when new.  Both regular molle sheaths fasten the same way while the XL just buttons without folding over. 

IMG_8698.JPG
* IMG_8698.JPG (Filesize: 255.4 KB)
IMG_8699.JPG
* IMG_8699.JPG (Filesize: 231.16 KB)
IMG_8700.JPG
* IMG_8700.JPG (Filesize: 249.61 KB)
IMG_8704.jpg
* IMG_8704.jpg (Filesize: 153.59 KB)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:44:01 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Alright and lastly, I've used this grenade pouch as well but mostly for my larger LM's and accessories, i.e. Surge, MUT. 

Its noticeably wider than both LM sheaths and thicker ( XL , Grenade , Standard Molle ) yet as tall as the XL.  There are 2 interior loops that dont stretch but are pretty handy to keep interior somewhat organized.  You could fit 2 full size MTs in this baby.   
IMG_8707.jpg
* IMG_8707.jpg (Filesize: 335 KB)
IMG_8708.jpg
* IMG_8708.jpg (Filesize: 303.62 KB)
IMG_8709.jpg
* IMG_8709.jpg (Filesize: 207.28 KB)
IMG_8710.JPG
* IMG_8710.JPG (Filesize: 271.11 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
and if I haven't totally messed with your plans then a skinth would also be outstanding but for many it's deciding on which skinth that is tough.  Good luck.
IMG_8711.JPG
* IMG_8711.JPG (Filesize: 242.64 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:01:37 PM by SteveC »

it Offline Tommygunn

Re: Double pouch to carry a Leatherman Wave and a 21mm diameter torch?
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:05 AM
Aloha,
A big thank you to you for posting up all those options, it given me a lot of insight. I have to say that out of all the combinations available out there, there is nothing specifically for my need. Obviously a gap in the market.

Steve,
Unfortunately, it won't allow for a torch. Also, I have a preference for nylon and velcro.

Cheers,
Tom.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:12:07 AM by Tommygunn »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 05:51:07 PM
 :salute: it's what we do here.  There is a gap for sure and while Skinth has done a terrific job it would be nice to see others join in.

Here's my Skinth with 2 set ups.  I like the AAA lights so with my set up it works.  I pocket carry my Thrunite T10 either pants or shirt. 

You'll find something, try several different methods with sheaths and cases that may not be specifically for tools.   
IMG_3975.jpg
* IMG_3975.jpg (Filesize: 304.96 KB)
IMG_3977.jpg
* IMG_3977.jpg (Filesize: 272.12 KB)
IMG_4125.jpg
* IMG_4125.jpg (Filesize: 163.23 KB)
IMG_4126.JPG
* IMG_4126.JPG (Filesize: 263.54 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline Tommygunn

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:03:19 AM
Thanks for the help everyone but it turns out the answer was staring me in the face all this time and it's actually my Blackhawk double pistol pouch.
I did several mods to it:
Removed the original hook velcro on the flaps and replaced with longer pieces.
Removed the grab tabs on the flaps.
Removed, cut down and re-attached the molle attachment straps.
Pinched in and stitched at the top of one of the pockets to confortably hold a torch.

As you can see I've only got some props for the tools which are as near as accurate as possible but the proof will be in the eating when my LM Wave and torch arrive.

Tom.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 03:33:12 PM
Nice job on making the sheath work for you.  It happens to us all, the solution is right there in front of us albeit with some slight adjustments.     
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline Tommygunn

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 10:50:32 PM
Worked out perfectly.

Tom.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 11:14:57 PM
 :salute: Looks like a winner.
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24