Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerfix Profi+ (LIDL) Scissors multitool

dks · 16 · 7905

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Powerfix Profi+ (LIDL) Scissors multitool
on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:14 AM
I just realised that I have not done a multiool review in a while so:

I usually avoid LIDL multitools as they are just the usual cheap, Ganzo type,  Chinese Multitools you can find everywhere, branded for LIDL.

However this one caught my attention as it looked cute and had a decent pair of scissors.
For the person that needs a pair of solid scissors, rather than pliers this type of multitool would be ideal. (Micra on steroids  :D )

Powerix Profi+

There are actually two models - one scissor based and one pliers based, both retailing at 7Euro. The pliers one has two more tools, as the bigger scissors need more space in the handles. I was not interested in the pliers one as it is just the same as all the other low end multitools with pliers (I actually found one yesterday, on offer 30%off - worth buying- but the LIDL staff could not find the code for it and could not sell it to me..  not happy  :rant: )

It comes with a nice, hard, though a bit too tight, sheath. (a LM ST300 is used for size comparison)

About the size of a LM Wave (closed)

but thicker than an ST300

..and about the same length when open

The handles have black painted metal covers with rubber inserts, making the whole tool visually appealing.

It feels rattly when closed but solid when open.

The tools do not lock, but are solid when open, using a backspring system to keep them open and closed.

Toolset pictures

You get:
a decent Blade
a Philips screwdriver (medium size - decent enough)
a Medium flat screwdriver  and bottle opener combo
a Wood Saw
a Large flat screwdriver
a File with two different sides and a metal saw end

There are no OHO tools and you need to open up the handles to access the tools.

The scissors are locked when you open up the tool and you need to move the locking lever to use them. The hadles also lock open automatically.
To close the tool you need to lock the scissors and unlock the handles, moving their two levers down.

The Woodsaw is interesting as it has an edge on its end, for some reason

The handles shape is bad, as you need to grip them from the end, to use, because gripping them closer to the scissors head makes you hand slip down towards the scissors.

If you have small hands then this tool is not for you.

suggested grip:

comparison:

The tools are OK, for a cheap Chinese tool, though the file is a bit hard to open.

There is no mention of the steel used.

My main issue is with the Scissors purpose.
There is no mention on the box on what the scissors are designed for.
They look solid enough to cut thin sheet metal, but can they?
Are they for wires, plants, paper, cardboard, sheet metal, nails?? I have no idea.
Their size suggests hard use but the box says nothing.
I have used them to cut thick paper and hair and they work well. They are not, however, able to cut toilet tissue.

Overall a decent and unusual tool, that is given extra value by the LIDL 2 year guarantee/warranty.

I can imagine throwing it in my pocket or in the car when gardening or doing some decorating with paper etc, when the SAK scissors are not strong enough for the job.

PROS:
Big scissors
Cheap
Decent tool selection

CONS:
Unknown scissors specifications/purpose
Bad handle design
Stiff tools

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Powerfix Profi+ (LIDL) Scissors multitool
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:30:24 PM
Nice review. It's good to see a full size mt, that is scissors based. Something different. I always wondered why off brand tools are always so thick? Is it really that hard to make a compact tool?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
Ganzo? makes several thin models too, like the "jeep" branded ones.

I assume the idea with thicker handles is to make the tool feel better in the hand, more rounded, and look bigger/nicer.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:24:01 PM
I think that saw is a drywall configuration. Looks similar in pattern to the dedicated drywall saw I have. The tip is designed to puncture the sheet to allow you to start the cut.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:34 PM
That makes sense.
Drywalls are not really common here.

The pliers model has a standard saw.

Maybe the scissors can cut through drywall....   :D

us Offline tommywp

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 02:30:40 PM
If those scissors can be used as tin snips on drywall edges and corners, then this could fill a nice niche. Tin snips and drywall saw...maybe cut the tip off the blade to make it more razor like to score drywall. Interesting.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 12:15:25 PM
Looking at the length of the scissors compared with the length of the handles I suspect there isn't enough leverage to cut anything more substantial than cardboard.  I couldn't imagine trying to use them as tin snips (except maybe on thin aluminium foil).  All my tin snips have either long handles or compound leverage to give extra power.

But I haven't actually tried them myself so I could be wrong.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 05:09:02 PM
That was my main issue with them - The package said nothing about what they are supposed to cut...

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 11:18:07 AM
I finally got one of these, and I genuinely like it.
It is branded for Bessey. I'll compare it to the one dks bought, and go over some points he made about it.

First of all, the design seems to be slightly altered.
The order of the handle tools seems reversed, and the Phillips and large flathead have swapped positions.

Also, the handle inserts are different. Each side has two pieces embedded, and the material is not rubber. It is a hard plastic, which does not improve grip at all.

The sheath is all black, and just as tight as the one dks has. I attached a lanyard to help pull it out. It is quite slippery and very tight in the sheath to pull out as is.

Mine is not rattly when closed, like dks says. Mine is rock solid, nothing rattles.

About the tool set: I love it.
The blade is a very nice shape (although it could be half a cm longer). It is also very nicely sharpened.
The saw is very sharp, and the chisel end is a great scraper.
The file. Man. If the Wingman had a file like this one, it would be twice the price. This file is wonderful.
Phillips, large flathead, and bottle opener are decent. I am glad to see just one dedicated flathead, although there is definitely room for it to have been twice as thick.
The Phillips is like a SOG one, but longer and thicker.

There is room for one long tool next to the blade, and there is wasted space under the shears in one handle (the Phillips goes underneath in the other handle).

As mentioned before, the handles are rather slippery, with the inserts being there for mere aesthetic purposes. The handle splay is a definite issue, which will take some time to get used to.

The shears are amazing on my tool. dks says his cannot cut toilet paper, but mine can. It can cut a single ply tissue perfectly. All the way up to cardboard, they are great cutters.

You may have noticed a Phillips bolt having replaced one post screw in my tool. Indeed, the torx8 screw popped out of the post, and would not tighten properly, so I improvised. It feels solid, and does not look half bad. I'll file the bolt down to make it flush with the nut, until I find a better solution. Bloody lucky that I found a bolt with near perfect width and length to replace the post screw. It works so perfectly, I might leave it like that.

Overall, I really like this one. Maybe the design has improved, although there could be more than one factory making these. As with most of these inexpensive tools, it is a bit thick, but it looks and performs beautifully. There is room in the handles for a couple more tools (maybe a reamer, a can opener, package opener, or serrated blade), and I might attempt adding something. A Surge awl would fit the theme nicely.
The Bessey one is significantly more expensive than the Powerfix, but it's still rather affordable, if you feel like picking one up.
20161126_202016.jpg
* 20161126_202016.jpg (Filesize: 197.67 KB)
20161126_201911.jpg
* 20161126_201911.jpg (Filesize: 227.25 KB)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:12:51 PM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:05:23 PM
The only other manufacturer that makes scissor-based primary tools (not including the keychain Leathermans and Gerbers) is Bear and Son; this looks like a neat little tool. :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 04:28:09 PM
Micra on steroids :)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 02:36:09 AM
The only other manufacturer that makes scissor-based primary tools (not including the keychain Leathermans and Gerbers) is Bear and Son; this looks like a neat little tool. :cheers:

That BnS is sweet, but too expensive. It's on the list though. Maybe someday.  :dd:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 03:27:42 AM
A thing I missed posting about the tool I bought is that the package says:
"Cuts: leather, rope, vinyl, thin wire, twine, light plastics, paper and more."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 06:10:20 AM
Good to know. Mine said nothing regarding the use of the scissors.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 04:24:16 AM
Nice write-up dks :tu: I love the scissor based full sized MTs and I do have a couple of the Bear and Son models :cheers: I like the spring on these better though as the one on the BaS is a regular spring and if you don't lock the scissors closed before trying to close it up then you might just loose the spring :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Don't ask me how I know this :facepalm: :D I also  :like: the toolset of both the scissor and plier based models :like:

Sorry that I am over a year late to comment on this but hey better late than never ::) :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%