Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

R.I.P. 4mm Slotted Screwdriver

au Offline Rossko07

on: September 02, 2015, 01:00:30 PM
Today was yet another day to be thankful for and to look forward to.
I went about my usual morning duties. Coffee, breakfast and took the young fella to day care.
Started my afternoon shift at work & get called out to my first job, machine breakdown.
So, here I am working inside a machine near a conveyor belt. I finish part of the job and head out to test the repaired part. Success.
I head back in to tidy up and I notice the tools I put down on the conveyor are no longer there, even though the conveyor is not running.
I immediately get out and run to where the conveyor travels only to find all tools but one screwdriver attached to a powerful magnet.
The conveyor automatically starts once the machine doors are closed. So I found out.
The other screwdriver? Went down a grinder, turned into a million tiny little pieces.
Amateur mistake. I’m gutted. I’ve had that screw driver for a long time & the fact I know they don’t make them like that anymore is just killing.
Today, I lost a dear friend.
R.I.P 4mm slotted screwdriver.
I now have an incomplete set of screwdrivers and it just doesn’t feel right. Sure I’ve lost tools before but it’s always the same feeling. As a tradesman I am attached to my tools. After all they are my livelihood and put food on the table.
Share your sad tool tale. I know I’m not the only one.
Rossko
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:03:42 PM by zoidberg »

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: R.I.P. 4mm Slotted Screwdriver
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
............... My reaction to the thread: I got scared. Then I sighed with relief.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:39:58 PM
Yeah lol um, maybe I should change the title or something a little more light..?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:40:50 PM
............... My reaction to the thread: I got scared. Then I sighed with relief.

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing too....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:41 PM
About 18 months ago my shed got broken into and my toolbox got stolen*.  Most of the tools had little sentimental value, but three were ones I'd had for a long time that were perfect for my needs - a very good quality pair of flush cutters, ideal for snipping cable ties that were bought for me while I was working at university; a long thin flat Stanley screwdriver, ideal for poking and prodding; and a very cheap (it cost me 99p, I think) engineers flat bladed screwdriver that I bought from my first weekend job, which was my go-to drift and general pry tool.  Beaten and bashed, I touched up the edge with a file every so often and it just kept on going.

Funnily enough, although I've now bought new tools, I haven't replaced these three items exactly.  Although replacements should be easily available, I'm not sure I want to try to replace them.

* along with my bikes.  All 5 of them, the smurfers. :cry:

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:00 PM

About 18 months ago my shed got broken into and my toolbox got stolen*.  Most of the tools had little sentimental value, but three were ones I'd had for a long time that were perfect for my needs - a very good quality pair of flush cutters, ideal for snipping cable ties that were bought for me while I was working at university; a long thin flat Stanley screwdriver, ideal for poking and prodding; and a very cheap (it cost me 99p, I think) engineers flat bladed screwdriver that I bought from my first weekend job, which was my go-to drift and general pry tool.  Beaten and bashed, I touched up the edge with a file every so often and it just kept on going.

Funnily enough, although I've now bought new tools, I haven't replaced these three items exactly.  Although replacements should be easily available, I'm not sure I want to try to replace them.

* along with my bikes.  All 5 of them, the smurfers. :cry:

Having the tools and the bikes stolen sucks. Were they cycling bikes or? Hope that doesn't happen again.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:46:14 PM
Can a mod please help me out in changing the title to better reflect the topic? I have something else in mind.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 02:48:28 PM
Yes of course.  :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Re: Today, I Lost A Dear Friend
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 03:13:11 PM
Having the tools and the bikes stolen sucks. Were they cycling bikes or?

Yep, very sucky.  Over it now though. :tu:  Was pedal bikes - an MTB, three road bikes, a cargo bike, a load of spares and all my tools.  All insured though, and all replaced now.

Hope that doesn't happen again.

Me too.  Fingers crossed I've got it all properly covered now.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 03:26:37 PM
Sorry to hear your loss...maybe on a brighter thought, maybe we could recommend new MT in replacement of your beloved tool?

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:22 PM

Sorry to hear your loss...maybe on a brighter thought, maybe we could recommend new MT in replacement of your beloved tool?

While I wish that would be the case because I do love MT's! I need a dedicated insulated screwdriver.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:24 PM
Maybe take picture of the set. Maybe someone has same tool useless to one, and could replace screwdriver for you.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:22 PM
Maybe take picture of the set. Maybe someone has same tool useless to one, and could replace screwdriver for you.

Great idea.

Sorry to hear about your tool.  I've unfortunately have done similar in terms of loosing a tool or tools that are my livelihood as well.  I was more pissed at myself than anything. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:26 AM

Actually not a bad idea. Worth a shot.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 01:50:22 AM
What brand are they ?    maybe you can find one on E-bay.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:58 AM
Wattmaster. No luck on eBay. Wattmaster still sell screwdrivers but not of this style anymore. I will post up a pic of the set this afternoon when I get to work.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:38 AM
Here is a pic of the set minus 4mm flathead.

I think it would be pretty rare to find one.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 02:53:33 PM
Not to add to your misery, but a bit of advise from an old (43years in the trade) tradesman ...

Always be sure of where your tools and any other stuff is. Never leave anything behind when you go for parts, other tools, or to do something else. Always take everything with you. This is why most of us carry a tool pouch with all of them in it. You never know who is going to waltz by and help themselves to your stuff just sitting there ...

They say you "abandoned it" -- and now you prove otherwise.

Good luck finding a good replacement. Perhaps Klein tools has something you could use? It sort of looks like Klein, just trying to help ...
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 08:10:24 PM
Too bad. I know how you feel. The only ones I feel that strongly attached to are ones my dad got for me as gifts when I was a wee lad. Or the ones he's got that I used with him prior to getting my own tools. They have a certain smell, a certain feel, and certain scars, each with a certain story.

In one aspect, they're quite replaceable. In another, not so much.  :-\

Bright Side: replace it with a good quality 4mm screwdriver, and when you hand it on to YOUR son/daughter, you can tell him/her the story, and it will be all the more valuable to him/her.  :tu:
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 06:57:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Aerojet - Great advise.

Crow - Thanks for the links. They are the new style wattmaster screwdrivers. Very similar but not the same unfortunately. Perhaps a new set might be on the cards.

Smaug - This is true & it is something I looked forward too. I am blessed with three sons and look forward to passing on tools to them as my father has to me.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:25 AM
Bummer.

Is that Roman Numeral 13 (XIII) on the handles?

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:22 PM

Bummer.

Is that Roman Numeral 13 (XIII) on the handles?

Spot on. Why do you ask mate?

de Offline Josh613

Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 11:02:12 AM
I can relate to this as well, a week ago my toolcase was stolen along with my drill and impact driver. It sure does suck.
I am slowly replacing them because at the moment I don't really have a job that requires tools everyday. My father-in-law has kindly said I can use anything of his that I want.
Funny enough the only two insulated drivers I've replaced are a 3.5mm and a 4mm terminal. The rest I've just bought a regular set. Really want the VDE interchange set wera offers though. Just can't justify the cost at the moment.

I still have a few sentimental items though one is a 3mm 'lutron' screwdriver. No idea where it came from but has a spinning cap on the top super handy and easy to carry in a pocket of my work trousers.

Losing tools really does suck

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 12:48:57 PM
It's odd how some tools have a special place in your kit and it's not always anything to do with their monetary value.
I have some 1/4 drive Snap-On sockets that are worth $30 each, Screwdrivers that cost $80 each and Pliers that cost over $100.
But the one tool I'm most gutted about losing was a mini podger made from a NAS673V90 Titanium bolt. 3/16" diameter and just over 6" long. Had it for years and it was the BEST pokey thing you ever saw.
The bolt it was made from was the result of an ordering error where someone said nine d and it was misheard as ninty. Result was ordering bolts ten times longer than needed.

Luckily I have another of the bolts and some day I'll get around to grinding and polishing this one into shape...
but then I won't have a spare in case I lose it.  :facepalm:

de Offline Josh613

Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 03:12:36 PM
I always need something for poking around, thinking of ordering a wera awl. I have an old screwdriver I've sharpened the tip on. Those bolts look to make the perfect tool for that

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 04:54:18 AM
Yes, they work really well. The Ti is nice and light but very tough and there is enough room in the hex head of the bolt to fashion a small prybar tip on the non-pokey end.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 04:12:34 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I have those exact same screwdrivers, I think the 4mm Flathead as well!   :salute:
Nice ones, love'em   :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

de Offline Josh613

Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 08:16:22 PM

I have those exact same screwdrivers, I think the 4mm Flathead as well!   :salute:

I've never even seen this brand before they look decent though

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 09:43:38 PM

I've never even seen this brand before they look decent though

Don't know price/wuality as I didn't buy them, I found them in the street in a lost place in France while traveling during my Holiday a long time ago, nobody nearby, very abandoned place, no signs of life whatsoever, no owner to claim them, they sat there rusting under the merciless rain...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%