Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP600 Bladeless?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Gerber MP600 Bladeless?
on: September 09, 2015, 08:55:46 PM
Since Amazon marked the MP600 Bladeless down to $35, I figured I'd get one.     I have plenty of reasons why I think I need one.  For one, I have several traditional pocketknives I'm very fond of, such as the Camillus TL-29, and a Case Trapper that I got in a lot of beater SAKs.

Secondly, my grandmother has nagged me, even in places where knives are perfectly OK, and I've even carried my larger multitools (Leatherman Original Super Tool and Victorinox Craftsman) in their sheaths on my belt in plain view in stores that have "No Weapons" clearly posted on the door without any one paying any attention.   My grandmother has even made me remove my multitool from my belt before going to the mall.  I typically will have a smaller multitool or pocketknife such as my Victorinox MiniChamp as a backup, so it's no big deal.   But, just in case, I figure carrying a bladeless tool, and then having a separate pocketknife I can leave at home or in the car is a good safeguard.   

In addition, I find the main blade of most MP600s a little strange compared to anything else I own.    I find at $35, and being US made makes it a good contender on my new multitool list, most of which are double this.

I have a few questions about the tool: 

Wire Cutters are something I often use on the farm, cutting hardened fencing wire.    How will the replaceable inserts hold up to cutting rebar binding wire and fencing wire?   

How exactly do I open the pliers?   I'm used to the simplistic "old fashioned way" on Leatherman tools.

Are the jigsaw/reciprocating saw blades such as the Remgrit RJ blade with proper attaching receptacle easily found at hardware and home improvement stores?   The blade included is intended for ceramics and cast iron, something I've never had to cut.  I want wood and plain metal cutting blades, as well as being able to replace them if I damage one. 

I've heard the Black Oxide coating has a bad habit of coating everything else it touches black.  How do I treat it to prevent that?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Gerber MP600 Bladeless?
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:23 PM
What your Grandmother has pointed out is how much public perception actually matters. Just because you know the tool on your belt is knifeless, others may not, and do you really want to have to explain it frequently? Our good friend Farmman who has drifted off into other hobbies was stopped twice in a public place by the police.

Once was in a supermaket as the officer spotted the pocket clip of his knife. When they asked it it was a knife he explained the Wings Slipit he was carrying was sub-3" and non locking and that he also had a knifeless multitool (knifeless fuse) in another pocket. They were perfectly satisfied on that and IIRC complimented him on his wise and informed choices.

The second time, he'd been rigging lighting at a professional theatre, and had walked out of the stage door to go for lunch with his ST300 in sheath on his belt. An officer stopped him and quizzed him. He explained what he'd been doing and forgot to leave the tool inside. The officer said "OK, no problem, just take it off your belt and put it in your pocket"

Both times he was within his right to be carrying what he was (including the ST300 for those who don't have a clear perspective on UK law), and a polite conversation was had. If those tools were out of sight and out of mind, he wouldn't have been stopped and had to explain himself.

Knowing that what you have is legit is great, having to explain/prove that is a pain in the arse - just food for thought.

I'll answer your other Q's shortly if someone else hasn't already done so while I was typing this  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:25 PM
The wire cutters are not likely to deform, but if overloaded can break. I don,t know in all honesty if this will be up to the job you need to do, but sounds like you might be better off with blunt nose anyway if you're twisting wire. The good thing abour Gerbers is that it's quite easy to switch the heads. If these don't work out, track down a junker MP600 blunty on the bay providing the pliers are in decent nick, and swap them over. If the indexable cutters do work well for a good while and only break when they've dulled off, replacements are available. Just remember to turn them periodically so you get a fresh edge (three edges per cutter) when you can feel they're not cutting as well as they were before

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:09 PM
To stop the BO coming off, wipe down thoroughly with an oily rag when you get it. Done!  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:21:20 PM
Replacement blades are available on Amazon. I'm in the wrong country to comment if they're available locally  :P

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:40 PM
Two choices for opening the pliers:

First is to hold them in your hand loosely, and pinch the handle opposite your palm with finger and thumb. A quick wrist flick will either open the pliers, mean a walk to go fetch them, or an explaination and apology to the bloke opposite you as to why he's got a pair of pliers in his eye  >:D

(Remember to blame Kirky  :tu:)

Second option, hold the pliers vertically, press in the release buttons and give a gentle downward shake. The handles will drop down and the tool is ready to go. Do the same thing upside down to stow. Gareth has an excellent vid review on one of the flickies which shows this better

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:39:44 AM
I did a quick video a while back on opening a Gerber.  Done with a Diesel but the same applies to a MP600 etc.

Hope that helps. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:36:44 AM
I also had read that the Gerber replaceable wire cutters were harder and more brittle than the equivalent Leatherman cutters.  This means they wear better on softer wire, but are more prone to breaking if overloaded.  So as 50ft-Trad says, the regular blunt nose pliers may be more suited for your particular application.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:38:37 AM
I can personally attest to the brittleness of the indexing cutters featured on MP600s. Mine straight-up shattered after trying (and failing) to cut some metal banding that was wrapped around a box. My Wave cut them with no ill effects. They had worked well for me cutting copper wire and fencing wire, though, so as previously stated, use cautiously.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:35:33 AM
The carbide cutters on the MP600 don't cut that well (my experience) AND they're known to break when cutting something tough. (others' experience)

Best bet is to stick with what you've got, and just don't wear it visibly when you're out with your gram.

As for how they open, watch this vid starting at 11:40:

They have the best one-handed opening pliers mechanism in my opinion. No outside tools except the pliers though. Folks like to bitch and moan about how hard it is to get to the inside tools, but it's no harder than on a classical Leatherman, and the locking mechanism doubles as a thumb rest. (you'll see in the video, if you keep watching ^)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:27:08 AM
I also had read that the Gerber replaceable wire cutters were harder and more brittle than the equivalent Leatherman cutters.  This means they wear better on softer wire, but are more prone to breaking if overloaded.  So as 50ft-Trad says, the regular blunt nose pliers may be more suited for your particular application.

I can second that. The carbide cutters are good on softer materials and will wear less there and if they do, can be indexed new and you can continue using them. On harder materials, the standard MP 600 head is better. Small burrs can be taken off with a diamond file, but usually the cutters vontinue working. Mine won´t cut flexible copper wiring well (the wires with many small strands), but in a pinch the scissors will do that and if not in a pinch, I´ll get some sidecutters. The wire cutters cut zip ties, single strand wires and fencing wire regularly and a wire coat hanger now and then. 
I retrofitted a standard head in my Pro Scout (and now use a frankensteined MP 600 as my EDC, but that is another story)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 11:30:23 PM
Got my MP600 Bladeless yesterday night, tried it on some 10 AWG stranded wire, and it fails, just like my MP600 BN.

These are the worst wire cutters I've used on any MT.

This one is going back to Amazon, and I'm done with MP600s until they fix the cutters.

Cutting zip ties isn't enough, since I can do that with a small scissors.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 08:14:32 PM
That is as pretty honest review as can get. Now I will take the bladeless mp600 off my want list.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 04:02:09 AM
Lost the box somehow, in record time. Can't return it. Damn. All this thought I to MTs, planning and scheming, and I can't even keep my act together enough to keep tabs on a little box for a few days...

Anyone want to trade for a like new MP600? :-D
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:59 AM
I'd love to have one, but I've got nothing to trade with. Bah. :P

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 04:02:03 PM
But hey, if you REALLY want to get rid of it, then I've got some money right here. :P Altho it the shipping cost would have be pretty good to make it worth it.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 04:41:06 PM
Lost the box somehow, in record time. Can't return it. Damn. All this thought I to MTs, planning and scheming, and I can't even keep my act together enough to keep tabs on a little box for a few days...

Anyone want to trade for a like new MP600? :-D

You interested in a Flik or PowerDuo?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 08:59:28 PM
A black duo or the clear one? Just curious
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:12 PM
Reading the 1st few posts reminded me that my grandmother always had a SS, penknife on her, with shiny metal handles. I think it had the classic 2 blades; one large, one small. About 10 cm in length. I have no idea of the maker...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 05:51:16 AM
A black duo or the clear one? Just curious

It is black

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 06:16:41 PM
Does Gerber make stronger replaceable wire cutters that can be swapped in place of the ones it currently has?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 08:37:13 PM
Does Gerber make stronger replaceable wire cutters that can be swapped in place of the ones it currently has?

Nope, only the carbide cutters. I hear the non replaceable cutters weren't too bad though
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 05:21:40 PM
bladeless?? the Gerber that I carry is also my defend weapon.  should any body cause trouble. the blade is use to poke him. you don't need to carry a tactical pen.hehehehe

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 07:40:08 AM
bladeless?? the Gerber that I carry is also my defend weapon.  should any body cause trouble. the blade is use to poke him. you don't need to carry a tactical pen.hehehehe

That's pure fantasy there. By the time you get the blade out, you'll be dead or mugged or beat up already. It's got to be one of the WORST choices of self defense weapon, at least if you're relying on the blade.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline anon

Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
To stop the BO coming off, wipe down thoroughly with an oily rag when you get it. Done!  :D

Does BO show wear easily?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:22 AM
Anybody who has one... how does it feel in the hand when you are using the tools and not the pliers?

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #26 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:18 PM
Nope, only the carbide cutters. I hear the non replaceable cutters weren't too bad though

The standard cutters cut like champs.  Can cut shirt hangers without any effort.

Anybody who has one... how does it feel in the hand when you are using the tools and not the pliers?

It is a little awkward using the blades because they don't open "out" facing they open "in" facing.  Most Leathermans are like this too, but the MP 600 is pretty wide.  Other than that though, it is very very comfortable in the hands.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%