Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can somebody tell me about CPM 3V please......

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
on: September 10, 2015, 06:12:36 AM
Just bought a knife with this steel.  Any one have any experience with it? Good steel? Hard to sharpen?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:31:10 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Can somebody tell me about CPM3 please......
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:52 AM
Just bought a knife with this steel.  Any one have any experience with it? Good steel? Hard to sharpen?

I own a few knives in CPM3V, and can say that they are pretty decent, maybe not as rust proof as stainless but more durable in use.  And I use my sharpmaker to maintain a micro bevel on the edge, and so far it's not too difficult to do.

Err..I am not a knife steel expert, and it's my first time hearing CPM3. :think:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Can somebody tell me about CPM3 please......
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:30:36 AM

I own a few knives in CPM3V, and can say that they are pretty decent, maybe not as rust proof as stainless but more durable in use.  And I use my sharpmaker to maintain a micro bevel on the edge, and so far it's not too difficult to do.

Err..I am not a knife steel expert, and it's my first time hearing CPM3. :think:

Thank you bud!!   :tu:     Yeah....I left off the V....I'll fix it..... :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:32:46 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Can somebody tell me about CPM 3V please......
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:31:40 AM
So what did you buy?  :pok:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:35:04 AM

A Kephart in black micarta.   :facepalm:
Sellers pic Kephart.JPG
* Sellers pic Kephart.JPG (Filesize: 77.02 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:20:18 AM

Wow!  I always wonder about Kephart, and that looks awesome!  Looking forward to your test report!  :popcorn:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23:05 PM
It's pretty nice steel, but its toughness is overrated, it has a lot of carbides. Though, as it's PM steel, it avoids being too brittle for most kinds of use. I'd happily use it for most things. You can take a look at http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=CPM%203V&ni=278&hrn=1&gm=0 which has good information and you can compare it to other steels you are familiar with.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:10 PM

Wow!  I always wonder about Kephart, and that looks awesome!  Looking forward to your test report!  :popcorn:

Thank you! Being a spear point fan, I've wanted one for several years  but by the time I got it together, they were very expensive and the blk micarta hard to find...this one unused but was going for an used price so I got it. It's my first so called "super steel" as well so I was keen to try it.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 02:42:41 PM
It's pretty nice steel, but its toughness is overrated, it has a lot of carbides. Though, as it's PM steel, it avoids being too brittle for most kinds of use. I'd happily use it for most things. You can take a look at http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=CPM%203V&ni=278&hrn=1&gm=0 which has good information and you can compare it to other steels you are familiar with.

Thank you for the info and link!!! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:53:36 PM

Zknives I always my first stop when reading about steel. Such knowledge to be had there.

While 3v may not be the toughest (S1 for example, is tougher), it's one of the toughest tool steels, and it's certainly one of the toughest with the wear resistance it possesses. 3% vanadium? Vanadium has the hardest carbides, and refines steel grain, and 3% is a goodly amount.

Always wanted some 3v, nice knife! And I love the spear point :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:30:45 PM

Zknives I always my first stop when reading about steel. Such knowledge to be had there.

While 3v may not be the toughest (S1 for example, is tougher), it's one of the toughest tool steels, and it's certainly one of the toughest with the wear resistance it possesses. 3% vanadium? Vanadium has the hardest carbides, and refines steel grain, and 3% is a goodly amount.

Always wanted some 3v, nice knife! And I love the spear point :tu:

Thanks bud!!!  :salute:  I have a soft spot for old traditional patterns...especially spear points!  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 08:34:46 PM
That's a sweet knife and blade SG :drool: :2tu:
SAW

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 08:41:44 PM
That's a sweet knife and blade SG :drool: :2tu:

Thanks SAW!!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 08:43:21 PM
Nice knife.  :drool:

Is that model a convex grind like most of Bark River's knives? Is it a safe queen? Or will you be back to the convex grind sharpening adventure? :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:14 PM
I really like watching this guy.  He's so thorough with his explanations and he uses his knives for deer dressing.  He has an amazing collection of hunting knives.  He also is hard core with his wet stone sharpening skills. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:02 PM
I really like watching this guy.  He's so thorough with his explanations and he uses his knives for deer dressing.  He has an amazing collection of hunting knives.  He also is hard core with his wet stone sharpening skills. 

I don't like that one. He forgot to say "hello knife people" like he does with most of his other videos   :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 09:10:39 PM
Dr Wako is awesome.  I love how he says FLAT. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:11:32 PM
Nice knife.  :drool:

Is that model a convex grind like most of Bark River's knives? Is it a safe queen? Or will you be back to the convex grind sharpening adventure? :)

Yeah, we'll see...it's newer so probably convex ....I have the gear so maybe a thin 4" blade will go easier than a 10" X 1 3/4" X 1/4" blade for a beginner...... :whistle:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Thanks!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 09:16:43 PM
Check out his channel  :tu:.  He's pretty awesome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 07:50:59 AM
Great score there SG! I've eye ballin that knife over the yeasrs but never convinced myself to buy one yet. CPM-3V has had quite a following in the last few years. Its lower vandium allows some added toughness but lowers the edge retension of the higher vandium steels that so many like these days. While I'm all for an edge to last a long time I dont want to spend a week sharpening it to get it there. I hope you get on with it just fine. I like the mix of CPM-4V a little better than the 3V. In real world use there is proably no noticeable difference. Spyderco is suppose to put a CPM-4V Mule out at some point. When they do I hope to get one to try.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:53:24 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 08:02:11 AM
Thanks for the info bud!!!!  It was the right model, with the right scales at the right price....I would have probably bought it with any steel but a new one was gravy. It's supposed to be unused so maybe it's already sharp and all I'll have to do is maintain it....that D2 Kershaw Outcast of mine still isn't sharp after 5-6 years working on it off and on, but it's grind was real lousy and its a huge pain working it's grind by hand.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:55:03 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 09:14:27 AM
Thanks for the info bud!!!!  It was the right model, with the right scales at the right price....I would have probably bought it with any steel but a new one was gravy. It's supposed to be unused so maybe it's already sharp and all I'll have to do is maintain it....that D2 Kershaw Outcast of mine still isn't sharp after 5-6 years working on it off and on, but it's grind was real lousy and its a huge pain working it's grind by hand.

That's the big one right? Always thought that was strange, as I always thought D2 lacked toughness. Also, is it really that bad? I mostly convexed the edge on my bk24 in maybe 20 minutes with sandpaper on my leg  :D

us Offline David

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 10:30:54 AM
I dont think the 3V will be that hard to sharpen. It will have a convex edge so if its still sharp it should be easy to maintain.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 02:33:54 PM
CPM 3V

C: 0.80; W: 0.40; V: 2.75-3.00;
Cr: 7.50; Mo: 1.30; Mn: 0.40;
P: 0.03; S: 0.03; Si: 0.90;

Maker: Crucible - United States (US)
Tech: CPM

Notes:
Introduced in 1997. One of the toughest tool steels available, especially interesting considering its high wear resistance. In other words, there are other tougher tool steels, AISI S1 steel for example, but none that have comparable wear resistance. CPM 3V also has 7.5% which definitely helps with corrosion resistance, although it is not a stainless steel, when it does stain, apparently it develops pitting, rather than surface rust. When maximum toughness is required, combined with very good wear resistance, 3V is a great choice. CPM 3V also works very well for small fixed blades and folders are high hardness 62-63HRC. Edge stability is very high even at 63HRC, because of its high toughness, and you won't have edge dulling due to microchipping, which does happen for many alloys at that hardness.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:36:01 PM by AdmSlc »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:47 PM

That's the big one right? Always thought that was strange, as I always thought D2 lacked toughness. Also, is it really that bad? I mostly convexed the edge on my bk24 in maybe 20 minutes with sandpaper on my leg  :D

Yeah, that bad. Lopsided grind...started with Accusharp pull throughs (with heavy pressure) trying to even/thin the edge...wore two out till I switched to files/diamond files. It laughed at a mill smurf file....my buddy gave a big double cut file but my RA had worsened so I had to take a break from it.

Here's the Smufer.....
Kershaw Outcast web.JPG
* Kershaw Outcast web.JPG (Filesize: 90.23 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:00 PM
CPM 3V

C: 0.80; W: 0.40; V: 2.75-3.00;
Cr: 7.50; Mo: 1.30; Mn: 0.40;
P: 0.03; S: 0.03; Si: 0.90;

Maker: Crucible - United States (US)
Tech: CPM

Notes:
Introduced in 1997. One of the toughest tool steels available, especially interesting considering its high wear resistance. In other words, there are other tougher tool steels, AISI S1 steel for example, but none that have comparable wear resistance. CPM 3V also has 7.5% which definitely helps with corrosion resistance, although it is not a stainless steel, when it does stain, apparently it develops pitting, rather than surface rust. When maximum toughness is required, combined with very good wear resistance, 3V is a great choice. CPM 3V also works very well for small fixed blades and folders are high hardness 62-63HRC. Edge stability is very high even at 63HRC, because of its high toughness, and you won't have edge dulling due to microchipping, which does happen for many alloys at that hardness.

Thank you!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 03:56:39 PM
It should be a good steel the closest I have to it is CPM154.
Any steel is easy to sharpen with the right equipment, re-profiling can be a bit slower but once the profile is set, they re sharpen easy, If you don't let it get bad dull.

This is the KME diamond system I use.
KME.JPG
* KME.JPG (Filesize: 38.06 KB)

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 02:42:39 AM

Yeah, that bad. Lopsided grind...started with Accusharp pull throughs (with heavy pressure) trying to even/thin the edge...wore two out till I switched to files/diamond files. It laughed at a mill smurf file....my buddy gave a big double cut file but my RA had worsened so I had to take a break from it.

Here's the Smufer.....

I suppose part of it may be that I was using quite a bit of force (wrists/forearms were dead by the end), that and a bk24 is a touch shorter...

Good looking knife though! Considered bringing it to a kitchen knife sharpener? If just to even the bevel

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 03:41:52 AM

Here's the Smufer.....

I suppose part of it may be that I was using quite a bit of force (wrists/forearms were dead by the end), that and a bk24 is a touch shorter...

Good looking knife though! Considered bringing it to a kitchen knife sharpener? If just to even the bevel

That's basically what the accusharps are and I wore two sets of carbide inserts out (they were used already and the Outcast finished them off). I'll dig it all out and look at it again this week.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31