Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strata-Anyone carry one?

kirk13 · 16 · 1993

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Strata-Anyone carry one?
on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:01 PM
Do any of you carry the Strata? Is it any good? How much do you reckon they're worth?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Strata-Anyone carry one?
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:59:00 PM
I occasionally break out the BG Strata. I know JD drives one occasionally, and Def too.... you know.... the real wierdoes of the forum, not all you cheapo wannabe wierdoes  :pok: :pok: :D

Tools wise, I think they perform quite well with two primary disappointments. Firstly, your issue with the Fit, and the stowed tools flopping out when one is deployed. That is a very real possibility here, as Gerber's Saf-T-Locking system isn't consistent enough on outboard tools. I have yet to fully diagnose whether it's slightly assymetrical tangs or something else that's stopping the slide lock engaging fully and effectively retaining the stowed tools.

Secondly, the sprung pliers. Very nice to have, but they hollowed out the pliers to fit the spring. Used lightly and moderately, they should have a good working life. Used hard they will work, but after a much shorter time than on any other pliers, the plier pivot will get very sloppy.

Some folks will say the BG is plasticky and flexes too much, but it's never stopped me doing the job I needed to do. Lock release tabs can be awkward, particularly if your name is Tom and you're from Norfolk.

Aside from that, one of Gerber's best ever Phillips drivers, one of the best can openers on any multitool I've owned, decent size, comfortable, diverse load out, and on the BG version, probably my favourite sheath system ever (and a "free" torch and firesteel)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:03:27 AM
Value wise, the standard Strata tends to be listed for more than the BG version which has a better sheath, plus a firesteel and a Gerber Tempo. Amazon regularly has the BG around £50, but the standard model between £60 and £65. I thought I got good value on the BG considering the peripherals, but I'm not convinced about the regular at £65

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:04:06 AM
Cheers Al,that saved me £35 :tu:

I couldn't be doing with floppy scissors again :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 12:06:40 AM
 :salute:

If I get to the bottom of the Saf-T-Lock issues and find a viable solution, I'll be sure to post them, just not gotten round to that project yet  :cheers:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:51:33 AM
Carry a Gerber Strata...Yes!   :tu:

Like it...Yes!   :2tu:

Does it have issues with the safety lock...on two of my three Strata's yes.  But once I figured it out, it hasn't been a problem.

Overall, I own PST's, LM Juice (2), Wingman, Sidekicks, Mr. Pinchy, etc.  The Sidekicks are relegated to my GHB (get home bags in vehicles)...they live in the bags in case needed.  The Wingman lives in my shop desk.  Mr. Pinchy goes sailing every time I do.  I play with the the Juice S2 and Xe6, but when I want to belt carry an MT, it's always the Strata.  When I go camping, it's the Strata. 

I know that everybody has their particular preferences, but I've found the the Strata to be the best for me.   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:32:31 PM
Does it have issues with the safety lock...on two of my three Strata's yes.  But once I figured it out, it hasn't been a problem.

What does "figured it out" mean?

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 12:42:39 AM
On two of the Strata's, When you pull/push the safety lock, you can't close the main blade; it doesn't release.  But if you pull out either of the interior tools an inch or so, the main blade will unlock and close.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:24 AM
The sliding lock mechanism is pretty difficult, I have to say.  The jimped metal tabs on the Suspension worked fine, I don't know why they changed it.  It seems way faster and easier to orig-Supertool this and open other tools to disengage the lock than to fiddle with the slider.  Do any of the Strata users have some tips?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:05:48 AM by NetsNJ »

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:38 PM
Been carrying a Strata for about a week and change.  I have to say, I am pretty unimpressed.  I like the design a lot (minus the locks*), but the quality just doesn't seem to be there.  The tool has a lot of flex.  The plier heads seem necessarily thin given the size/weight of the tool.  It just doesn't feel like a solid construction. Maybe I just have a bad one, but I feel like I could snap this thing in my hands.  The Suspension doesn't give me that impression, it feels tough, no flex.  The tool complement is great, a much better usage of space than the Suspension, but overall I am not thrilled given what they charge for this.

* The Suspension lock sliders were fine, I don't know why they changed it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:58 PM
I carry mine fairly often, and I've used it hard at times.  I've never encountered the issues other members have mentioned. :think:  The Strata has the best Phillips driver on any Gerber BTW. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 09:08:58 PM
I carry mine fairly often, and I've used it hard at times.  I've never encountered the issues other members have mentioned. :think:  The Strata has the best Phillips driver on any Gerber BTW. :tu:

The phillips driver is great, nice and stout.  Works nicely with bit kits.  I don't have issues with any of the blades, they are all stamped/machined pretty precisely and have nice lockup.  I just don't like the frame on the tool.  Jerseydevil, do you have flex in your handles?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 09:31:50 PM
A bit, nothing worrying.  The last Wingman I handled had far worse flex in the handles.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 12:48:21 AM
That's interesting! My Sidekick has no flex in the handles at all, it feels very sturdy.  Maybe this is just item-to-item variation.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 02:24:40 AM
It probably is.  Like I've said, I've used that Strata hard at times, in both a retail and warehouse environment.  It's never failed me.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 04:22:07 AM
It probably is.  Like I've said, I've used that Strata hard at times, in both a retail and warehouse environment.  It's never failed me.

+1 JD

I bought both a Wingman and Sidekick last year on the Sat morning following Black Friday (right after Thanksgiving) when I got both for $20 each.  I used them both over the winter to see how well they worked.  I found them a bit uncomfortable and definitely not as sturdy as the Strata. 

Enough so that I delegated the Sidekick to an emergency bag in one car (when something goes into one of my emergency bags, it stays there until it's dead or replaced).  Then I found another Strata on eBay.

As for the Wingman, I'll either give it away to my kids, or I was thinking about a Winter weather test during this year's El Nino vs one of my other Gerber MTs.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:23:21 AM by strmliner »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%