Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What does a Swissgear make?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
What does a Swissgear make?
on: September 13, 2015, 09:14:00 AM
So... Swissgear is confusing me... I see 3 completely different looking, priced and perceived  quality backpack lines. All seem genuine or at least licensed by Wenger.
Anyone can enlighten me? I like some models from each, but I want to make sure I get something approved by Wenger:

1. The Wenger main line (Ibex, Synergy etc.):
https://www.wengerna.com/computer-backpacks
Colourful and cool-looking, seem very high quality and are very expensive:

2. The Swissgear website line (Scansmart & co):
https://www.swissgear.com/backpacks
Not that pretty, but seem higher quality - mid-priced.

3. The China eBay lines (SA-9393 & co)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptop-Cases-Bags-/31519/m.html?_sac=1&_ssn=chinoeuk2010&item=291559206826&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_nkw=swissgear
Very pretty, red and dark. Seem low quality materials. Far cheaper than the first.

By the way.. did Wenger actually license to Chinese manufacturers which sell them with sak knock-offs?  :cry:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: What does a Swissgear make?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:57:35 AM
The third line seems to be fake - The stitsched cross logo on teh red black Backpack is off.
the otehr two lones - I´m not sure. AFAIK Swissgear "makes" nothing but is the Wenger licensed line of travel gear products, made to spec ba different manufacturers and sold by various retailers and in Wenger Shops.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:34:01 PM
Thanks, figured as such.. too bad.. as the red Chinese one was very pretty...

I'll try to win an Ibex as it's very pretty and screams quality.

PS: I know Swissgear doesn't "make" anything.... I tried to do (a not very smart) play on Aristotle words:
"one swallow does not a summer make" ... meaning I meant to say, what features does a bag need to be considered a proper Swissgear item... I was too poetic for my own good  :-[
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:46 PM
No problem mate. The small nuances of your expressions sometimes get lost when you communicate in another than your mother tongue with someone whose mother tongue is another one than the common language, too.

I think I got your question.
BTW: I bought a damaged (rip in teh fabric beside a zipper), used Wenger Backpack cheap. Right now it´s at the tailors to be repaired.
The first impression is that it is made with attention to detail and out of quality materials.

I´ll google the exact model and will update you how it handles it´s duties.

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 04:53:32 PM
In my search for the perfect backpack I considered the Wenger/Swissgear range but dismissed them because I think they are too deep, they stick out and are bulky for their volume. In a commuter situation it`s only a matter of time before you have someone`s eye out as you execute a quick turn. I prefer taller packs with a lower profile, unless you want to be a Ninja Turtle :D
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:12 PM
So... I pulled the button.. really really nice backpack...
Lots of pockets, very comfy... maybe a bit too bulky and not offering a lot of storage space... but iow so pretty and cool  :D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:22:28 AM
I like mine, too!
I got it because it will carry my 17" Laptop (our only real computer) and hold the usual stuff I tend tu stuff in a Backpack (extra layer of clothing, water/thermos bottle, paper handkerchiefs, pen, book, light....)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:58:09 AM
In my search for the perfect backpack I considered the Wenger/Swissgear range but dismissed them because I think they are too deep, they stick out and are bulky for their volume. In a commuter situation it`s only a matter of time before you have someone`s eye out as you execute a quick turn. I prefer taller packs with a lower profile, unless you want to be a Ninja Turtle :D

I got a Lowe Alpine Large 22 in June, I've been using it ever since, commuting daily. It is tall-ish and slim if you dont overpack things, can hold plenty of stuff, rides well. Not waterproof, though. I got mine in green colour and it does remind me of a turtle for some reason. :D

Not the perfect daypack for me as I'd prefer some more pockets for small items on the inside, I have to carry money in my pants pocket so that I don't have to dig to get to my wallet, but still it's one of the best day/backpacks I've ever had.

The quest ain't over...
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69