Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strong, cheap, reliable headlamp with Ni battery that doesn't drain in 30 mins

Corwyn · 15 · 2008

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Am I dreaming?

Is it possible? I've seen plenty of really nice Chinese offers but all have Lithium Batteries.

I want to buy 3 of them, I want them to be quite powerfull, not battery-hogs and suitable for hiking and caving. I love Lithium batteries but they are hard to find and charge here and the other two headlamps are for my wife and godfather and they'll have problems if I give them a Lithium-based headlamp.

I'm looking for something like this, but that can also take AA/AAA or at least to be chargeable from the socket... I guess I could take the version with charger included but it gets expensive and isn't flexible - ie dies after 30 minutes in the forest, no replacement batteries, nowhere to recharge...
http://www.SPAMCORP.com/5000Lm-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-3T6-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Headlight-Torch-p-913144.html
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
many of the 18650 lights come with adaptors and can also use 3AAA batteries

The usual Chinese shops have lots of them
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
e.g.:  takes 3AAA too

http://www.SPAMCORP.com/CREE-XM-L-T6-1800LM-Diving-LED-Flashlight-Headlight-80M-p-86720.html

I have one of the above for diving etc.

these are also good

http://www.SPAMCORP.com/Wholesale-CREE-5W-Bike-Bicycle-300-Lumens-Zoomable-LED-Headlight-Headlamp-p-29843.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:08:51 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
First one is for diving, second one looks painfully cheapish. Any more suggestions?  :-\
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I like the Zebralight H5x headlamps.  They work really well on rechargeable NiMh batteries ( I use eneloops), but they might be a bit more expensive than what you want to spend. 

Some people say the user interface is too complex, but I have gifted several of these to non-techo people and I just tell them to press and hold until you get the amount of light you want.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
4Sevens (foursevens.com) has a headlamp kit that works with a lot of their lights.

Not cheap, not expensive, but very good quality lights.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
What about one of the LED Maglites? They seem to be pretty bombproof..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Try hard and look for a good led lenser deal, those are truly superb and sometimes you just might find them for 30-40% of the regular price

------------
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Try hard and look for a good led lenser deal, those are truly superb and sometimes you just might find them for 30-40% of the regular price

Yeah but there is a reason for that. Non-regulated, etc. There are much better lights for the money.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
I have used petzl tikka light for my work for years. Takes 3 AAA battery, and lasts for very good time. Lumens are ok for close work.

Just this week i got new Peli light from my workplace, and it is little brighter and with good working times.

Sorry to say neighter has charging input on them.

We have used led lenser h7r(charging model) headlight with good results.  And recently subrabeam headlights(charging model), wich we did not liked. With long use.

I have to say i have used my Tikka whole time that other lights have been used. It has Inferior light, but works when everything else has failed. Peli light will have to be tested for now on. But Tikka will be carried nearby...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I second Crow's suggestion.  Those headlamps put out by Petzl and Black Diamond are all pretty good, and do a good job in general.  I would specifically recommend Petzl with the 'old' buttons where it was a clicky.  Those switch are much reliable than the modern light touch button(which is far to easy to accidentally turn on).  Output wise, they may not rival to the Chinese bigger brands, but in terms of long term use and durability, I trust Petzl and Black Diamond better.

Another direction I would suggest anyone interested in using headlamps is to sort for gears used by long distance hikers(or thru hikers), they are adventurers that will hike few hundred to thousands of miles a year and there is no more hardcore test to gears than this. 

ca Offline Miknitro

I might suggest Zebralight, then BlackDiamond.
Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Anyone know anything about these Boruit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000Lm-3x-Cree-XM-L-T6-LED-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Headlight-Head-Torch-Light-Lamp-/261913476241?hash=item3cfb427c91

They look quite ok, 6000 LM included batteries and charger and can occasionally be found in Europe at under 10 Euros...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Anyone know anything about these Boruit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000Lm-3x-Cree-XM-L-T6-LED-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Headlight-Head-Torch-Light-Lamp-/261913476241?hash=item3cfb427c91

They look quite ok, 6000 LM included batteries and charger and can occasionally be found in Europe at under 10 Euros...

Don't know this brand, but I seriously doubt the ads saying 6000 lumens from all three Cree T6(just a direct quote from spec sheet, probably not OTF). 

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
I'm not dreaming of 6000 lm.. most of my Chinese flashlights will barely push half of what is advertised. Anyway for 10 Euros including batteries and charger even for 3000 lm it seems like a great deal - and it looks pretty cool to boot.

I was more interested in how is the fit & finish, if it will break down in a month, how taxing it is on the batteries etc.
Anyone familiar with this? eBay seems full of this items from this model... and dx and Amazon have pretty good reviews on it...

If I was getting just one, I'd try, but as I need 4 (3 of which I'll gift I'm picky on price & quality).
And no.. I can't get just one, then see how it is... it makes 3 months + from China to here... by the time the first one gets here, Christmas might be over  :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%