Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Philips Material?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
SOG Philips Material?
on: September 18, 2015, 02:07:20 AM
Why is it so soft? Do they heat treat these at all? Is it steel? They wouldn't use solder, would they?  :twak:

On my Switchplier 2.0, I have not done any what I would consider heavy work with it but when I inspect the implement, it is slightly bent and the head is scarred up significantly. Seriously, I have tightened some loose knobs and handles on my kitchen cabinets. I also put some hinges back up on a door frame. No heavy torqueing on any of them, though. I know I have read a lot about people breaking and bending them before. Why doesn't SOG do something to improve the quality of the Philips? It is shaped well (unlike some of the, uh - questionable Philips that Gerber produces) but it is not a very useful size - it seems to be too small for the majority of the Philips screws I come across.

:think:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Re: SOG Philips Material?
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:23:48 AM
It's a Philips #1, which is why it won't fit as many, #2 is a very common size. If you file the tip it helps. As to material, no clue, always been curious as to why it was the only tool in their lineup that was that color and finish. Perhaps it's the same, but the finish is for grip? Maybe case hardened. I don't know, though surely someone will be along who does

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:10:15 AM
Is it possible that the Philips is molded? Is that a thing they can do? I know little about metal working. Obviously, they do it the way they do because it is cheap, I'm sure. But I think about the Leatherman Rev/Wingman/Sidekick's Phillips driver (which I consider to be pretty darn good) and I can't imagine they spend much on making those implements, considering the whole tool ranges from $25-40 retail.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
Is it possible that the Philips is molded? Is that a thing they can do? I know little about metal working. Obviously, they do it the way they do because it is cheap, I'm sure. But I think about the Leatherman Rev/Wingman/Sidekick's Phillips driver (which I consider to be pretty darn good) and I can't imagine they spend much on making those implements, considering the whole tool ranges from $25-40 retail.

I believe it is cast, yes. There don't seem to be any tooling marks on mine, so it looks as though it is cast in final form (as opposed to leatherman flat drivers which are stamped? Then sharpened

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 05:02:12 AM
In case you don't know, leatherman's flathead are made of 420HC.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 05:52:07 AM
In case you don't know, leatherman's flathead are made of 420HC.

:cheers: Yea, I know. I just meant that statement as a "what gives, SOG? Leatherman's budget tools have a great Phillips but the ones on every SOG is made of Play-Doh"  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 09:56:01 AM
Guess why I fitted my Switchplier with the bit driver instead of the Phillips  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:36 AM
And the thinning of the shaft to fit the bottle opener and flat screwdriver doesn't help either. :-\

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 05:04:18 PM
And the thinning of the shaft to fit the bottle opener and flat screwdriver doesn't help either. :-\

I sort of think the design would be okay, if they just used the same material as the other drivers. I get that they probably couldn't use that same design with a new metal and achieve the same outcome, though. They could stamp a blank and carve a head onto it (I think this is how LM does the WM/SK Phillips) but with a 1-slot tool it would be more like a flat bit from LM's bit kit. Those work well, though. A 3D Phillips would be such an improvement. Ultimately, a beefed up #2 Phillips is what they need to put out for us.

Guess why I fitted my Switchplier with the bit driver instead of the Phillips  :whistle:

Oh yes, I get that! My only qualm with that is I pocket carry mine (usually), so the bit/bits would be something else to carry with me. I got a SwitchPlier 2.0 to replace my Octane and Wingman for daily pocket carry. It's a little on the big side for that role, but it is surprisingly pocket-able. I will say, though, I have been sheath carrying at work, putting it through the paces, so I wouldn't mind the bit driver & kit as long as I have my Skinth on my belt  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%