Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

S-hook dangler and minimalist key chain

us Offline tommywp

S-hook dangler and minimalist key chain
on: September 19, 2015, 06:11:06 AM
I walk to work in slacks. Keys were a bane of my existance...clumping uncomfortably at the bottom of my pocket.  The p-7 was a game changer and got me in to EDC. 

After the p-7, I moved on to figuring out the most compact keychain possible (given my needs). I tried different ring sizes, layouts, positions, etc and I'm fairly confident saying that this is as good as it's going to get for me. The way the Classic and Nano naturally fall lines them up against the key fob (scissor facing back is important for the fall), and locks them in the outside seem of my pocket.  The nubs of black wire coverings open the key chain up a bit so the Mcgizmo and suspension clip can't move out of the skinny area between the two ends.

The p-7 is great, but I started to feel the portion of the clip on the outside of the pocket was too noticeable. Not terrible, just not ideal for me. I wanted something less conspicuous. Remembered an old post I saw somewhere about using S-clips, found a properly sized one,  twisted it with the MUT and a Screwdriver, filed the edges, and got this. I used it all week and it carried well. Easier to get out of the pocket then I was expecting, which is good. I think it looks kind of cool, and as inconspicuous as a dangler is going to get.

Pretty happy with the setup.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 151.72 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 128.04 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 141.55 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 168.71 KB)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:17:16 AM by tommywp »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: S-hook dangler and minimalist key chain
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:07:24 PM
It's simple, functional and cheap. Most excellent, nice work mate. Thanks for sharing.  :cheers:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:32:43 PM
Nice work! :tu:

I use heavy coat hanger material and a wire bending jig to make mine. They are very low profile and cheap as chips.

Offline ryankdespain

• New User
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:18:36 AM
You have no problem of it falling off? It just seems so little to be reliable. Just a thought

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:32:21 PM
The trick I use is to adjust the gap of the hook so that it fits snugly over the lip of the pocket (usually sized for jeans). If the SAK falls out, the twist implied by it's weight will twist the hook into the pant fabric and prevent it falling out. The only sure way to get it out is to index your finger on the tip of the hook and slide it straight up. Takes a bit of tweaking to dial it in, but once there I have complete confidence in my DIY hanger.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:05:53 PM
The trick I use is to adjust the gap of the hook so that it fits snugly over the lip of the pocket (usually sized for jeans). If the SAK falls out, the twist implied by it's weight will twist the hook into the pant fabric and prevent it falling out. The only sure way to get it out is to index your finger on the tip of the hook and slide it straight up. Takes a bit of tweaking to dial it in, but once there I have complete confidence in my DIY hanger.

Can you snap a picture?

us Offline tommywp

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:08:43 PM
You have no problem of it falling off? It just seems so little to be reliable. Just a thought

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hasn't slipped yet.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:26:14 PM
I made a bunch of key danglers out of paracord. They slide over the belt with a loop created between a couple of decorative knots and then a few more knots and then a loop at the pocket end. I use a dogleg snap clip to hold my keys, and that snaps into the paracord loop. I used to have a metal clip on my belt with a split ring and clip the keys to that but it messed up the finish on various belts and was annoying to move every time I changed pants since I have a small number of favorite belts.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:33:35 PM

Can you snap a picture?

Be a while before I have access to a camera, but here are a couple of links to some of my EDC shots that show the dangler.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22112.msg1152666.html#msg1152666
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42565.msg1152678.html#msg1152678

It's basically an S-hook with one end closed into a ring and the other flattened into an elongated U. I then test fit it to the seam on my jeans pockets and adjust the opening with pliers and a ball-peen hammer until I'm satisfied with the ratio of snugness to ease of removal.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 05:16:03 PM
Ive been carrying my Rebar for the last few weeks, just a simple S hook on the lanyard riing. Its so simple, but incredibly effective. It fits neatly next to my phone, hanging on the seam.

This carry method fits all but one pair of shorts, because those pockets are too short for the rebar on hook.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline tommywp

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:52 PM
Toolslinger - this is going to sound weird, but can you snap a picture of Troublemaker in your pocket. I would love to be able to pocket carry a 5 layer SAK. I've been skeptical but sounds like the hook makes it possible for you.

sLaughter - Impressed that this works well for a Rebar.

00 Offline haackeg

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 05:56:34 AM
I have been loving the s hook!  When I use it, I can carry my Swisschamp in my pocket and not even know it's there!!

us Offline tommywp

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:09 AM
I have been loving the s hook!  When I use it, I can carry my Swisschamp in my pocket and not even know it's there!!

The virtues of suspension clips are well known by many, but I just always dismissed big SAKs...thinking they would be too uncomfortable in the pocket. Earlier today I taped a Pioneer and Harvester together to simulate a 7 layer 93mm and for the few minutes that it was in my pocket I was shocked by how unnoticeable it was. Good to hear that this is also the case when carrying for a full day. Now I get to obsess over my ideal 5-6 layer mod!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 164.18 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 95.07 KB)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:22 PM
Here's a shot of the Troublemaker in pocket riding on my homemade dangler. The pants are 5.11 Taclite Pros and the seam where the dangler rides is as thick as the seam on my jeans (reinforced for knife carry). I carry my SAK on the left side as a dedicated folder rides on the right.

I've comfortably carried a Swisschamp on this dangler and it's like there is nothing there. I orient the hook so that the backside of the tool rides along the seam/out side of the pants. Due to the position of the keyring, the SAK hugs the outside of the pant and doesn't want to drift into the main pocket area.

If I was really concerned about visibility, I'd hit the dangler with some flat black metal paint (BBQ paint) that I have in the garage. As it is, it's not really noticeable at all and there is negligible pocket bulge even with a Swisschamp in there. It is to be noted that I prefer relaxed fit pants and have not (and will not) try it in anything resembling skinny jeans or other tight fitting pants.
IMG_0227.JPG
* IMG_0227.JPG (Filesize: 175.2 KB)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:45:33 PM by Toolslinger »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 03:12:13 PM
Toolslinger - Great information re the orientation of the knife in your pocket. I know exactly what you're talking about...IMHO factoring in the natural way that things fall is the key to comfortable pocket carry. It took me a long time to figure out how to get things to fall exactly right on my keychain but it made a world of difference once I did.

Your early comment about the SAK twisting in towards the fabric has peaked my interest now that I understand how the SAK is positioned.

Good stuff   :tu:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:47 PM
Ive been carrying my Rebar for the last few weeks, just a simple S hook on the lanyard riing. Its so simple, but incredibly effective. It fits neatly next to my phone, hanging on the seam.

I've also found that the phone in the same pocket as the dangled keys/tool is the way to go. This was a big surprise to me...this seems like a lot of stuff in one pocket and I've always believed that the phone gets to ride solo in a pocket.  But the keys/tool really stay tight and in place (never touching the screen or falling behind the phone) and fill the right amount of space so that the phone stays put and can't fall horizontal.  Compared to the p7, the dangled object rides much hire and tighter using the S hook, and I think this is a big positive when it comes to sharing the pocket with the phone.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 03:15:51 PM
Any of you guys have a Vic Spirit you can try with a dangler and compare comfort wise to a 6+ layer SAK?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:30:54 PM
Spirit doesn't have a lanyard loop. Closest thing is the slot for the corkscrew attachment and that is halfway down the long side of the tool.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:39:53 PM
Spirit doesn't have a lanyard loop. Closest thing is the slot for the corkscrew attachment and that is halfway down the long side of the tool.

Oops. Not sure why I thought it did. My bad.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 08:17:13 PM

Oops. Not sure why I thought it did. My bad.

No problem. I tried attaching a hanger/lanyard to the corkscrew slot, but it wants to hand horizontal and is a no-go. It's also terribly inconvenient in use.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 04:42:06 PM
After carrying a Craftsman in my front pocket for a while I've found it to be more comfortable when it dangles a bit lower and when it's got a aaa light next to it...the light kind of ramps up to the thicker SAK and smooths out the pocket. Both were surprising.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 176.66 KB)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:20:16 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 03:41:50 PM
Improved it a bit.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 102.19 KB)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:33 PM
Also trying out the McGizmo clipped right on my pocket. The amount of clip that hangs over isn't enough to stay put on its own, but with the spring applying pressure too, it seems like it might work. Going to carry my PST II this way all weekend to see if the McGizmo fails at all. This is the smaller of the two Mcgizmos...might be better with the bigger one but I don't have any.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 157.97 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 131.63 KB)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:51 PM
Here's a comparison of what's visible with the McGizmo, s-hook, and p-7.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 216.53 KB)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:35 PM
Hows the McGizmo treating you? Is the spring easy to disengage while attached to the pocket?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline tommywp

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 02:05:37 PM
Hows the McGizmo treating you? Is the spring easy to disengage while attached to the pocket?

It worked ok. Definately stayed in place. The inside of my pocket was a bit frayed and the spring would sometimes get caught in the fabric which was a pain.  I also didn't like the way the McGizmo was flopping around on the PST, but I think that's mostly do to where the lanyard hole is on the tool. I'm trying to go as small as possible with the clip...so that it is discreet and also to limit how much it flops around when using the tool.  Here's my latest attempt.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 159.26 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 142.67 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68