Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would you survive right now?

Megan · 60 · 5181

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Would you survive right now?
on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:16 AM
The power grid has collapsed and there is no hope of having power again in your region for over 4 months.
Worst of all, your city/town has been blocked from the rest. So you're unable to leave or escape.

You and your family + pets will need to survive without proper power for 4 months.
You probably won't be able to make it to a store as others have looted there already.

Would you survive with what you have at home?
What would you have at home?
What would you do?
Who would you take care of?
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Would you survive right now?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:20:48 PM
Wow! Was this the reason you've been so quiet lately?! You were stockpiling food and survival gear to get ready for this?...

:think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:27:10 PM
Is there still running water?

Honestly our biggest problem is the lack of water storage containers for drinking and sanitation.

Based on our grocery cycle, I doubt our supplies would last a month if consumption is at a constant rate.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:30 PM
step 1 - eat the pets
Step 2 -......

:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:44:56 PM
I know for sure that I opened the last bag of coffee beans at the weekend so the answer could only be a few days at the most. :o

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:04 PM
Hey, I got knives and sticks and 20+ years younger than my neighbours...

I'll do just fine!
 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 02:20:02 PM
I am a heart failure patient and would not last long at all without my medication  :-\
SAW

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 02:36:47 PM
My favorite episode from South Park--they were all trapped in a gym, and discussing whom to eat first...and Kyle just said, "Guys, it's only been a few hours...".

Seriously,

Would you survive with what you have at home?
No, I live in an apartment, and there's just no space to stockpile food.  My spam and ramen noodle stock will only last us a week or two.

What would you have at home?
A lot of SAKs, MTs, gears, I might consider to trade them for food...if push come to shove.

What would you do?
I will find a place where I have internet connection, and ask this question in 'Break room' and sit around for answers.  I will closely observe how the community evolves while planning a grand escape, if there is absolutely no law and people were acting like they were in the wild west, just leave the darn place and play walking dead.

Who would you take care of?
Family first.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 03:13:57 PM
No power :think: hmm, so no refrigerated food, but boxed and caned goods out the wazoo, no electric stove but over 40lbs of charcoal, also like zephon said running water? Now with the upcoming weather, I have a small propane heater, but not enough to last 4 months, yet if it was April I'd be set, so tough call! Although, the kids without tv, PlayStation, or even their tablets, idk if I'd be able to take them! Back in I don't remember when 2010, we crashed , the whole state was out for over a week, and we were stuck at home, and we had no prob. The only thing we had was running water, cooked with the camping gear, and heated one room with the little propane heater only once before bed and once when getting up in the morning to get the chill out, cause it was in the upper 50's during the day, but dropped into the 30's at night.. Still have that heater, but not enough propane to last the next four months..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
4 months? I would have a very slim to no chance at all. City dweller, no place for that kind of stockpiling. Now, being cut off from the world for 4 months? In Europe? I think that kind of scenario would involve other problems which would require more complex/difficult/etc solutions than just stockpiling food and securing a source of water. Even cutting off large areas of Europe from the world is a nightmare scenario, as France is the only country in Europe more or less self-sufficient with food. Fair enough, larger units have more flexibility, but densely populated regions are utterly dependent on trade.

What would I do? As I said, this requires an extreme and odd natural disaster or a strange kind of war. Both of which boils down to mobility and cash (or gold) being far more worth than the ability to tough it out in the wilderness. Yes, your scenario defined being forced to stay in one place (and I do see the link between mobility and bushcraft, I am a regular here... :) ), but that would basically imply scenarios which only the most commited (or paranoid) plan for around these parts.

Read an article a few years back written by a guy who maintained a stockpile and base in the wilderness, which was designed to live under the radar for 1 year given av TEOTWAWKI situation. (Basically an invasion, given the country and time the article was written.) He seemed a realistic enough guy, and one of his better points was the amount of soap you will need for surviving on your own for, let's say, 4 months. People have a tendency to focus on food and water, but given several months survival, you have to care a lot about hygiene.

A city cut off from the rest of the world for 4 months? Cholera, looting, dysentery, violence, you name it...

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 04:07:43 PM
Several wells for water, long term storage food for emergencies (cows/game for long term), fruit trees, firearms/bows/tools, a butane and a wood stove, SW radios/batteries/flashlights and books....probably get by if my health holds.  This is how folks in the country live. Plus being a Boy Scout and living 50+ years in Tornado Ally gave me an "Always be Prepared" mindset. In the past, we've had mini outages out here in the sticks so we expect it now and then.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 04:13:17 PM
Wow, that's a great thread :D My family and I have actually really wondered for how long we'd be able to survive on what we have at home in such cases.

We definitely wouldn't make it for 4 months, though. A month is possible, although no power is really a disaster. We may have some packages of flour and meat in the freezer,  but .... that won't make the most delicious of a meal or bread with no power :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 05:15:05 PM
Several wells for water, long term storage food for emergencies (cows/game for long term), fruit trees, firearms/bows/tools, a butane and a wood stove, SW radios/batteries/flashlights and books....probably get by if my health holds.  This is how folks in the country live. Plus being a Boy Scout and living 50+ years in Tornado Ally gave me an "Always be Prepared" mindset. In the past, we've had mini outages out here in the sticks so we expect it now and then.

Yessir!

Water for me would be the toughest part.  I'm not too worried about no electricity since the climate I live in is warm and even at the coldest it's easily manageable. 

I have enough fuel for my Camp stoves and there are enough trees around for a camp fire type cooking scenario.  I had already began to assemble food stores and other needed items for this exact scenario MINUS water.  I'd be ok again unless there was no water.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 05:43:21 PM
Let me see no powder that means no gas, no money, no water no food medical or medical supply's. If you have stores of supply's their will hordes of angry armed people wanting to take it all from you. I don't have to worry with my health I won't last long.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 05:58:14 PM
Step 1: Eat wife
Step 2: Go to the store and stock up on provisions
Step 3: Play with baby until world ends...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 06:01:23 PM
Short answer: No!
Long answer: Not on my own!

I would simply walk the 5km to my parents house. Simple reason, they can heat with wood (and have wood stored), so warmth and cooking is not a problem.
Between my storage and my moms (she likes to preserve and store food), it should be plenty for a month. In addition to this the military has bunker-ed food, so I probably could get rationed supplies at the local shelter.
Finally, water is not a problem, apart from the main line with two independent sources between my parents and my home there is about a gazillion independent small sources feeding the quadruzillion fountains that are everywhere.

Of course Europe being tiny, my first choice would be to get into a car and visit relatives in the Netherlands :angel:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:02:31 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 06:03:34 PM
Step 1: Eat wife
Step 2: Go to the store and stock up on provisions
Step 3: Play with baby until world ends...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSCNlrxjgbU
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 06:10:48 PM
step 1 - eat the pets
Step 2 -......

:rofl:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 06:18:15 PM
Zombies are coming, better get ready

------------
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 06:53:37 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:13:12 PM
NO
Maybe.
Bug-in? Definitely not.
This is is something that bothers me, and I simply don't have the space to store the amount of water I would feel comfortable with.

Two months ago I bought canned food for this purpose for the first time  :D
The same space limitation applies, so I don't have nearly enough.

This is not something that's been discussed, but we have family farms within a 250km radius that would be the best place to go as far as resources are concerned.
Local political situation considered that might be the worst place to go. A major concern is I don't have enough fuel to get to my favoured alternative location, and the main concern would be water.

I've also undertaken to buy at least one box of .357's a month........no reflection on MTO  :facepalm:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:16 PM
I hope it's alright to post this link.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sophiegadd/how-long-would-you-actually-survive-in-the-apocalypse#.ogBD915dD

Sometimes their quizzes seem quite accurate; this one is relevant to the topic. It says I'd last for a month in an apocalypse, whatever the author means by that term.

@OP; ...... :wait: :twak: Interesting topic but it stresses me out and I don't need that right now! :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 09:18:38 PM
I've got a 100L water butt that I use for the garden, which is probably about 80% full, but would need sterilising. Future supply depends on weather, or a hunt for a natural water source, which would have several thousand other people using it too.

I have frozen food which I would make my way through for the first 2-3 days, but cooking facilities would either be a camping stove or a fire in the garden. I'd be paying close attention to whether I could convert foods for alternate storage, such as turning frozen fruits into jams, or thawing, cooking, and dehydrating. Root vegetables and canned foods would last me maybe two to three weeks. Only food left in the garden is a few smallish apples, jerusamlem artichokes, chinese artichokes, ramson bulbs, and dahlia yams. It's been a bad year in the garden.

Fuel supplies would last less than a week, so I'd have to go collecting wood. I could take a sledgehammer to the bricked up fireplace to make it usable again if I knew for certain we're in for a four month ordeal, and I'd improvise some kind of hearth from whatever I could find.

I would be isolated from family, so I'd be rallying round the neighbours to form some kind of collective and house sharing arrangements to minimise local fuel consumption for heating and cooking, and establish work rotas for fuel and water and cooking etc etc. If they decide they don't want to contribute, they can struggle on their own.

The first month shouldn't be too bad aside from societal decay. After that, it's anyone's guess. I did two and a half weeks in the depths of winter with temps down to -17C a few years, but it wasn't a pleasant experience, and that was with a small stocked woodpile, and a wood burning range. I wouldn't be starting with either of those today.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:12 PM
Food and water might be a problem but I've got a few just in case ideas
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:54 PM
Hey people. I think Megan just wants you to reveal your supplies so that she knows where to attack first when this scenario happens :pok: Don't give away your secret storage stuff :whistle:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 12:42:11 AM
We live in the city. Living on the city during a crisis like this frightens me. We do have a lot of canned food and water. Not nearly enough food to ration for that long. Nor enough pet food.
We have ways to:
Protect ourselves with force if need be.
Sterilize water.
Hunt in the areas that have deer or even small game. I guess any bird could really become food too.
We have a lot of first aid supplies.
No gas stockpiles.
We do have a lot of fuel for stoves. And some that run on twigs and cobustibles. That's something.

We wouldn't be ready. But we would be savvy enough to sort ourselves out I think.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 12:52:50 AM
  Our stove is LPG and we usually have to container thingys that go go for a month each ( I guess). Plus it's winter now and were getting temperatures in the 30-ish area of the celsius scale, so we could probably cook using the giant flaming ball in the sky to dave fuel.
  I must have 100 some liters of waters plus some 1500 from the rain collection and the reservoir. But that is about it, I guess that we could last a month food wise with what we have in our pantry but I would die of boredom in the first couple of days. Despite having lots of books to read I just don't think it would be enough. I need my fix...

Let me see no powder (...)

of interwebs.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:54:14 AM by WWW »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 01:02:05 AM
Those of you who live in areas with regular rainfall should really take advantage of harvesting it.  You'd be surprised how little to set up and capture free water.  I wish it were possible here but we get little if any rain.  We are in a serious drought as it is. 

Food wise, just but 3 meals each time you shop for provisions.  Buy extra toiletries as money allows.  Fuel, propane stores well vs gas and for the camp stoves like my coleman there are conversion kits to run propane when the fuel runs out.

I live in a townhome so theres no realistic way to store that much water.  I have cases of water bottles but no where near enough.  Dog food I should be good to go since my dog is 3lbs haha.       
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 02:38:14 AM
Those of you who live in areas with regular rainfall should really take advantage of harvesting it.  You'd be surprised how little to set up and capture free water.  I wish it were possible here but we get little if any rain.  We are in a serious drought as it is. 

Food wise, just but 3 meals each time you shop for provisions.  Buy extra toiletries as money allows.  Fuel, propane stores well vs gas and for the camp stoves like my coleman there are conversion kits to run propane when the fuel runs out.

I live in a townhome so theres no realistic way to store that much water.  I have cases of water bottles but no where near enough.  Dog food I should be good to go since my dog is 3lbs haha.     
Due to the container we're only able to collect 310l. But when it rains, even a little, the amount that you can collect is very surprising, indeed. The problem is how rare such meteorological phenomenon became.

And now that you mentioned toiletries, I should get a lot more TP. Cause like clamps, it never seems to be enough.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 02:57:19 AM
This seemed fitting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbZISg5mOY

:rofl:

I am ok with food and gear. My problem would be heat as I have a gas furnace. No wood stove here, although plenty of fire making supplies.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:58:54 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24