Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would you survive right now?

Megan · 60 · 5179

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Re: Would you survive right now?
Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:13 AM
I'd be fine, I live in rural-ish eastern Iowa, and am proficient with almost all types of guns, and have deer and canned goods for at least three months if we are conservative, and power has never been an issue for me, I don't depend on it at all. But if it was winter, it would be a completely different story; my house is heated on natural gas, and I can jerry rig up a portable generator to the gas supply, and from what I have heard, it isn't that hard to make a gasification system for the generator, and running water would be fine, since I can just run a line out to the well. So really no big issue for me, as long as I have my SAK collection!

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:53 AM
I was reading this article and thought of this thread

The RV for the end of the world: 18-tonne, $890,000 vehicle that looks ideal for people who like holidaying outdoors - in a warzone
Massive camper van painted in military green and described by Austrian makers as a 'motorhome for global cruises'
'Action Mobil Global XRS 7200' costs holidaymakers £585,000 and comes complete with a 720-horsepower engine
Interior features  23 sq ft of living space, satellite TV, a washer and dryer, and a lift at the back to carry a motorbike

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246096/Forget-camper-vans-meet-camper-TANK-18-tonne-585-000-vehicle-looks-ideal-people-like-holidaying-outdoors-warzone.html
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 10:19:38 AM
Look like the ideal vehicle for zombiefest or comic-con...Sat TV, washer and dryer, are these really what we need to prepare for end-of-world scenario?! :facepalm:  :D

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:59 AM

The RV for the end of the world: 18-tonne, $890,000 vehicle that looks ideal for people who like holidaying outdoors - in a warzone
Massive camper van painted in military green and described by Austrian makers as a 'motorhome for global cruises'
'Action Mobil Global XRS 7200' costs holidaymakers £585,000 and comes complete with a 720-horsepower engine
Interior features  23 sq ft of living space, satellite TV, a washer and dryer, and a lift at the back to carry a motorbike

So that thing runs on sunlight?
Or are they planning to get fuel at all the abandoned service stations? :D

From the IT side I have lots of experience at service stations, and without power on those I wish you much luck getting at the fuel  :salute:

Just had a thought - has there ever been a situation where the majority lived so close to utter disaster by choice?  Empty shops and dry taps + 3 days is all it might take.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 10:52:04 AM
What no zombies  :pok:  :D lets just say i would try my hardest too survive for my families sake  :salute:

now where are thoses zombies   :ahhh  :ahhh  :mn:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2015, 04:41:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246096/Forget-camper-vans-meet-camper-TANK-18-tonne-585-000-vehicle-looks-ideal-people-like-holidaying-outdoors-warzone.html

Not bad, although I'd prefer a different colour.

Show content
Does it come with brunettes or redheads?...

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2015, 07:14:48 PM
We wouldn't survive 4 months, I don't think.

Water wouldn't be a problem, I don't think. I have methods for purification.

Food would be REALLY slim after a month or two.

The real problem would be heat. While we have a wood burning stove, it's in our garage, and I don't stock wood. I have a bag of wood pellets, and could scavenge deadfall. That'd last a few days, maybe.

I have tried repeatedly to get a 'heater buddy' but it always falls into low priority, and never gets got. Even then, those are a short term solution to heating.

If this same scenario happened in in spring or summer, we'd probably survive, but there would be a lot less Lynn by the end of it. I call it the 'Apocalypse Weight Loss Plan'.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:11 PM
I think I'll starve, think I have food to last one, maybe two weeks.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 01:39:45 PM
No.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 01:58:58 PM
We would deeply struggle with heating issues here.
We don't have a wood stove or a heat source that wouldn't take power.

I think 4 months is a fascinating time-line. By that point most folks would have had to have discovered a new way of life. A way to procure more food, water and resources.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 03:22:23 PM
I'll just leave this happy happy joy joy gem here.....

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/how-to-die-when-the-shtf-09232015
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:42 PM
If I can not leave my house then no. Just not enough water.

Have redundant ways to sterilize water and a few freshwater rivers near by.

I am EMT, been through the Special Operations Combat Medical Course and have the best medical supplies the US Army can buy.

Food. Enough MRE's for everyone in our home to eat one a day for three months. That plus regular canned foods and the like in our home would be plenty. Even better if I could be successful at some hunting or fishing. Competition would be off the charts for this I bet.

Does not get cold enough here to need heating, just some blankets and warm clothes could get us by in the coldest time of year.

As far as keeping what we have I make it a point to buy a little ammo every payday and lets say I know a bit about the two way gun range.

Great thread idea and welcome back stranger.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 12:39:32 PM
One survival group on FB discussed dogs as a survival item.  The discussion was whether dogs were a liability or whether they were worth the investment of food and maintenance they will need.

Quite frankly I can see few situations in which decent sized dogs would not be a benefit to a survival situation.  There's a reason early man domesticated dogs after all.  That having been said, I think a 50-60 pound dog would be a lot more reasonable than the 120 pound monster currently sleeping on my leg. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 02:01:58 PM
Training Ground  :D 

the Wasteland Weekend, which takes place every year allows lovers of the Mad Max movie franchise to see what it is really like to live in a society where civilisation is crumbling.
The festival sees attendees abandoned in the harsh Mojave desert without modern-day amenities such as electricity and running water.
All attendees go the event in outlandish costumes with festival organisers designing elaborate sets complete with Mad Max-style cars.
The four-day post-apocalyptic party in the Mojave desert began in 2010 and has seen steady growth each year.
Now it is the biggest post-apocalyptic themed festival in the world, with this year's being the biggest event to date with 2,500 festival goers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3251766/Festival-inspired-Mad-Max-movies-sees-enthusiasts-try-survive-post-apocalyptic-world-middle-desert.html

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 02:04:50 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 02:56:36 PM
One survival group on FB discussed dogs as a survival item.  The discussion was whether dogs were a liability or whether they were worth the investment of food and maintenance they will need.

Quite frankly I can see few situations in which decent sized dogs would not be a benefit to a survival situation.  There's a reason early man domesticated dogs after all.  That having been said, I think a 50-60 pound dog would be a lot more reasonable than the 120 pound monster currently sleeping on my leg. 

Def

My 2 muts are a prime example, the sheepdog-ish one was neutered too young by the SPCA, he's scares easily, food is the focus of his life, and that's just the start of his personality issues - waste of food in a survival situation.......except if you view him as self-transporting food.....  :facepalm:
The other one is quiet and friendly, if he does bark you best get up and take a look.  He limits his own food intake, and despite his friendly demeanour when he goes on the attack he doesn't stop........I would want him with me for sure.

Offline Crocker

Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:29 AM
Short answer...yes.

What we might be missing in foodstuffs we can can hunt/gather. The legalities might be questionable, but we could do it.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 05:53:35 AM
Training Ground  :D 

the Wasteland Weekend, which takes place every year allows lovers of the Mad Max movie franchise to see what it is really like to live in a society where civilisation is crumbling.
The festival sees attendees abandoned in the harsh Mojave desert without modern-day amenities such as electricity and running water.
All attendees go the event in outlandish costumes with festival organisers designing elaborate sets complete with Mad Max-style cars.
The four-day post-apocalyptic party in the Mojave desert began in 2010 and has seen steady growth each year.
Now it is the biggest post-apocalyptic themed festival in the world, with this year's being the biggest event to date with 2,500 festival goers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3251766/Festival-inspired-Mad-Max-movies-sees-enthusiasts-try-survive-post-apocalyptic-world-middle-desert.html

More like a hardcore comic con to me, these folks look far too happy to be in apocalypse.  >:D

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 07:43:05 PM
 We live in our RV so some things are built-in like 60 gal of drinking water propane to cook just not 4 months worth propane and water. I have back up heat and cooking. Liquid multy file lantern\ heat cooker. And have 6 to 8 month supply of food. Water would be my biggest problem assuming nothing happens at the Hanford nuck reservation next door to me.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: October 04, 2015, 08:09:30 PM
We live in our RV so some things are built-in like 60 gal of drinking water propane to cook just not 4 months worth propane and water. I have back up heat and cooking. Liquid multy file lantern\ heat cooker. And have 6 to 8 month supply of food. Water would be my biggest problem assuming nothing happens at the Hanford nuck reservation next door to me.

Lot to be said in favor of this lifestyle!!!   :cheers: :cheers:  I used to know lots of folks who after they retired sold everything, bought a RV/Trailer and enjoyed traveling the national parks all year.   :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline anon

Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 09:52:39 PM
I can go without electricity and have before... I keep quite a bit of bottled water on hand in case of emergencies and some of my neighbours have well water. Food would be in short supply but I'm sure I would figure something out.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 02:47:27 PM
I can go without electricity and have before... I keep quite a bit of bottled water on hand in case of emergencies and some of my neighbours have well water. Food would be in short supply but I'm sure I would figure something out.

How did you live without electricity? Care to share?
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:42 PM
How did you live without electricity? Care to share?

Growing up we had a holiday home in a tiny coastal town called Henties Bay.  First 5 years my parents owned it there was no electricity.
We had LPG geysers for hot water, and paraffin lamps for light.

Ask anybody that experienced Henties Bay in those days and they would gladly go back.

Still very common on farms across the country are what we call donkeys - wood fired boilers basically.

Candles.....

Speaking from experience of living on a small holding outside town a few years ago, you would not believe how much time you have if there's no electricity.
This was before smartphones, FB, internet forums  :P and all the rest, and back then I didn't have tv anyway, internet only at work.

To this day can't figure out why it just felt like I had so much time out there....

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 07:23:19 AM
If I'm not allowed to relocate, no. My apartment has no provisions for heating without electricity and regular deliveries of propane, and the trying to access the well without electricity would be interesting to say the least.

If I get home, sure. Yes, the pump at my folks is electric. Thats why there is a battery back up and solar panels by the pump house. The only danger then is we get the super cold and late snow they had last year- it is a 75 yard run on that pipe, and it froze up a lot. But by salvaging the batteries from the cars, maybe it could be rigged up to keep a trickle running 24/7 when it's 20 below out.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #54 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:50 PM
Although i dont like the answer: NO
We wont make the 4 months, although i do have a little bit of a prep mind set i only have knives, multitools, ferro rod with cotton balls soaked in vaseline and a maglite led 3d cell with enough batterys to keep it powered for about 150 hours. We also have an axe and have a small stockpile of scrap fire wood in the back yard, it wont power a family of four for four months.
Me and my friends do have fishing gear and know how to gut and prep a fish but i dont think we can catch enough fish to feed our families. I do know a farmer who has a natural water well and has acces to milk and meat of course although i don't know how to gut and prep a cow.

To survive 4 months i would need a way to purify water although this can be reached by boiling it on a fire powered by wood.
We can catch fish but not enough to survive, i dont know how to prep a cow. I think we should get some chickens to eat and use the eggs. That would be a good solution, although chickens will probably be very sought after when the power goes out.
Luckily i have good contact with farmers so i have better acces to these products.
I think the prep mind set that you will survive alone is wrong, i am very mechanincly skilled. So i can fix and repair or make things. I can trade these skills against food, milk, animals etc. I think you wil have to work together with the local farmers, butchers, bakery etc..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: October 19, 2015, 09:00:29 PM
We wont make the 4 months, although i do have a little bit of a prep mind set i only have knives, multitools, ferro rod with cotton balls soaked in vaseline and a maglite led 3d cell with enough batterys to keep it powered for about 150 hours. We also have an axe and have a small stockpile of scrap fire wood in the back yard, it wont power a family of four for four months.
Me and my friends do have fishing gear and know how to gut and prep a fish but i dont think we can catch enough fish to feed our families. I do know a farmer who has a natural water well and has acces to milk and meat of course although i don't know how to gut and prep a cow.

To survive 4 months i would need a way to purify water although this can be reached by boiling it on a fire powered by wood.
We can catch fish but not enough to survive, i dont know how to prep a cow. I think we should get some chickens to eat and use the eggs. That would be a good solution, although chickens will probably be very sought after when the power goes out.
Luckily i have good contact with farmers so i have better acces to these products.
I think the prep mind set that you will survive alone is wrong, i am very mechanincly skilled. So i can fix and repair or make things. I can trade these skills against food, milk, animals etc. I think you wil have to work together with the local farmers, butchers, bakery etc..

You sir would be a hot commodity. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 09:28:25 PM

You sir would be a hot commodity.

Exactly. The folks with the most skills will be rewarded. Being useful would matter.
-Megan
Send me a message.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:56 PM
I'm a problem solver   :2tu:   but my proficiently with firearms will probably rate higher with zombie mutant bikers.      >:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: October 20, 2015, 01:31:33 PM
I am a lover..  ;)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 04:55:43 AM
I believe I have enough supplies on hand to go at least a couple of months if necessary and I'm trying to build up enough to last longer.  I recommend that people find out what is really going to be important by reading Fernando Aguirre's blog on surviving the economic collapse in Argentina at: http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html

I can tell you from my own experiences that swarms of predatory hordes of violent looters is not likely to happen.  The natural order of things is order rather than chaos and you will find that the community will band together to take care of each other and strive to return to a state of normalcy.  Doctors will take care of the sick, police will enforce the laws, mechanics will fix things.  Abhorrent behavior such as looting will be dealt with quickly and will not be allowed to become a problem. New Orleans after Katrina was a notable exception, but for the most part we've seen people coming together and helping each other as recently as the floods in South Carolina a few weeks back and that was my experience after taking a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

If you're talking about some end of the world calamity that can not be recovered from, then you are still better off staying in your home for as long as it remains safe to do so.  That's where all your supplies are (however limited). Bugging out with only what you can pack in your car or on your back means leaving everything else behind.  Why would you do that?  If you reach a point where you are out of everything and there's no help coming then, yes, you may have to bug out, but so will everyone else.  You don't want to get stuck in the middle of a mass exodus or evacuation.  That's where and when you're more likely to encounter the violent predators.

The best option is to fortify your home so you can stay there for the duration.  Bugging out is a last resort option and is best carried out with a specific place to go so that you're not wandering aimlessly.  If you have a secure location to bug out to you can stock that location with supplies before the need. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%