Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Classic Surefire.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Classic Surefire.
on: September 24, 2015, 09:13:57 PM
I placed this here as well as in the deals and auctions because many members who are into lights may not see it in deals and auctions section.

If you're interested in classic Surefire lights this may be of interest to you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252088339438?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here are the specs on this light.
http://www.surefire.com/lx2-lumamax.html

Good luck.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Classic Surefire.
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:13:09 PM
This seller sold 30 of these NIB Surefire lights in a few days.

I offered him $80.00 and he accepted it and I received it in todays mail.

DSCN2379.JPG
* DSCN2379.JPG (Filesize: 186.38 KB)
DSCN2377.JPG
* DSCN2377.JPG (Filesize: 184.86 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:10:37 AM
Good snag, my brother.  I have yet to own a Surefire.  All in good time. I keep hoping they'll build a light that supports my favorite battery - the 18650 lithium ion.  I can't stand using disposable CR123 batteries, for a whole bunch of reasons, and I stopped buying them about three years, when I made the transition over to lithium ion batteries.

I'll probably eventually break down and buy a 6P classic, bored out to accept a 18650, to use whatever P60 drop-in suits my fancy (I'm a huge P60 fan, for the versatility).

Is this your first Surefire light?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:10:04 AM
Good snag, my brother.  I have yet to own a Surefire.  All in good time. I keep hoping they'll build a light that supports my favorite battery - the 18650 lithium ion.  I can't stand using disposable CR123 batteries, for a whole bunch of reasons, and I stopped buying them about three years, when I made the transition over to lithium ion batteries.

I'll probably eventually break down and buy a 6P classic, bored out to accept a 18650, to use whatever P60 drop-in suits my fancy (I'm a huge P60 fan, for the versatility).

Is this your first Surefire light?

Thanks.

No it's not my first Surefire.I own about 25-30 Surefire lights.

David,Surefire does make a light that is 18650 compatible.It's called a P1R Peacekeeper.

The next two pics show the light with its 18650 rechargeable battery and its size.

This next picture shows the two chargers,left is a12DC car charger and the AC charger.

This last picture shows the Peacekeepers size compared to the M3 Combat Light.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:03:09 AM
Cool.  Thanks for sharing those pictures :D

The reason I specifically mentioned the 6P is that it's P60 drop-in compatible.  That means, I can change out the drop-in, at will, as newer ones become available (Well - after having the body bored out to accept a 18650 battery. 

The technology advances, so quickly, with these lights, that modular design is a must, at this price point; for me, anyway.  They also make aftermarket cooling bezels for true super high-powered drop-ins, to keep the light from overheating.  That's an investment I could see myself making, if I were going the Surefire route. 

So, the light never becomes obsolete.  For the $300.00 price tag of the P1R, I'd want to be able at least upgrade the drop-in, periodically.

I looked on the Surefire website, but it seems that the drop-in is non-removable.  Maybe I'm mistaken. 

Also, 600 lumens isn't exactly considered super high output, by today's standards.  I'm also very picky about tints.   I don't feel Surefire have kept up with the advances that other makers have improved and revised, during even just the past two years or so.  Having options for neutral and even some warm tints, is important to me.

The more I spend on a light, the more flexibility I expect the light to have.

Thanks for the heads-up!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:07:24 AM by David Quevedo »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:56:10 PM
Nice score. Love Surefire. I carried a Defender for years.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:07 AM
If all we had were P60 hosts,this would be really dull world.Lights that use P60 drop-ins are also too big to carry while wearing suits,as I and members of my profession wear.The best lights for carrying,while so attired,have been the Surefire E series.I do have more liberty to carry different lights since my retirement.

If knife collectors only wanted the latest in technology we also wouldn't buy Victorinox or Wengers.I also could own 150 Chinese knives rather than 30 Randall Made knives.I could go on and on,using knives as an argument for not just buying the latest offering.

As far as the lumen output is concerned,the P1R has 10 times more output than is necessary to temporarily blind an opponent and provide the time needed to take appropriate action.

If I'm not mistaken Surefire is one of the few companies the U.S. military trusts to provide the needed durability during combat.

At canldepowerforums.com tint snobs and wall hunters have a blast discussing these aspects of flashlight collecting.It's always humorous reading some of their posts.Their arguments contrast sharply with people who use their lights professionally.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:28:26 AM
Nice score. Love Surefire. I carried a Defender for years.
That's us mobile.
Nate

Thanks Nate,it's always interesting to find Surefire lights being offered at such a reduced price.

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:11 AM
If all we had were P60 hosts,this would be really dull world.Lights that use P60 drop-ins are also too big to carry while wearing suits,as I and members of my profession wear.The best lights for carrying,while so attired,have been the Surefire E series.I do have more liberty to carry different lights since my retirement.

If knife collectors only wanted the latest in technology we also wouldn't buy Victorinox or Wengers. I also could own 150 Chinese knives rather than 30 Randall Made knives.I could go on and on,using knives as an argument for not just buying the latest offering.

As far as the lumen output is concerned,the P1R has 10 times more output than is necessary to temporarily blind an opponent and provide the time needed to take appropriate action.

If I'm not mistaken Surefire is one of the few companies the U.S. military trusts to provide the needed durability during combat.

At canldepowerforums.com tint snobs and wall hunters have a blast discussing these aspects of flashlight collecting. It's always humorous reading some of their posts.Their arguments contrast sharply with people who use their lights professionally.

Your points are well-taken.  Thanks for sharing them.  Clearly, your and my needs are different - and that's perfectly okay. 

This is a flashlight sub-forum, though - is it not?  People are going to have vastly differing opinions about what lights work best, for their uses (or job dress requirements, as the case may be).  I am always entertained at how radically different one person's needs are, compared with someone else's. 

Neither opinion is "right", or "wrong".  That's one of the many things that make forums like these so interesting.  If we all felt the same way about everything, there would be no real need for forums like this, at all.  We all have an opportunity to learn something every day, from our fellow EDCers, because of our differing opinions and experiences.  At least,  that's how I view it, and that's why I'm here. 

Fortunately, I very rarely find myself in a suit (or even wearing a dreaded necktie), other than to attend weddings, or funerals; so I'm not always in need of a a sub compact, "stealthy" light, as you may be (although they do have their uses, for fitting into tight spaces, where a full-sized light wouldn't do the job); but I do very much like the P60 platform, because of its great flexibility and economy of use  - without sacrificing the quality of light that they provide me.

You can purchase a top quality drop-in, that will easily keep up with a high-end (Surefire, Malkoff, Oveready, Elzetta, or other extremely well-built) host, and get the exact type of light you need, for the job, without spending an arm and a leg.  That was pretty much my point; that, and and the model you recommended probably wasn't going to suit my needs.  It was not a slam, or intended to be a disparaging remark, towards your new purchase, or the Peacekeeper model.  I'm sure they're both fine lighting tools.

They're just not for me. Not today, anyway.

I'm not in the military, or in law enforcement, so I don't really need to "blind an opponent" lol; but I do use high powered lights (although, generally not tactical lights, although I do own some.  They serve a very different purpose), ceiling bouncing some of those non-tactical lights, in still photography, because they greatly benefit the overall natural look of a picture (for indoor photography), as opposed to just using a front-facing flash (which is generally too harsh, and frankly, too bright white/washed-out, and casts too many unwanted shadows, making things look fake, and poorly-lit).  That higher lumens output (combined with a neutral tint - especially when used, indirectly) is sometimes necessary, for enough overhead light fill to do the trick.

In retrospect, after another viewing of the Surefire website, I would have to assume that their primary market is towards law enforcement and military/private security types, where the goal is not "natural" looking lighting, but to provide the end user with a tactical advantage over an adversary - generally in a high-stress situation.  Maybe that's another subconscious reason I've never purchased one of their lights.  I don't have this true tactical need, and my life doesn't depend on the ultimate reliability of the type of bullet proof lights they manufacture.

Some of the Candle Power Forums members are pretty hardcore.  I hear that, brother.  Although I'm a member, there (and Budget Light Forums, and others), I don't buy lights, just for the sake of buying them.  I use them, heavily - and definitely not for white wall hunting, or high lumen bragging rights, either.

As for "tint snobs", I suppose some people might call me one (chuckling).  I like a super bright white flashlights, as much as the next guy, and they certainly have their purposes; but, sometimes a more neutral tint is more desirable, to better render colors on whatever it is you're lighting up.  A super bright white light (especially at close proximity) can leave stuff looking washed-out, or make it hard on depth perception, especially at greater distances, and especially when they are the only light source around.  The goal of a high powered light (for me, personally), is not to blind someone, but to thoroughly light up something that needs to be lit, without blowing out my retinas, in the process, but while also looking as natural as possible. As little as just a few years ago, that combination of features may have been considered a very tall order, and not readily available, at any price point.  But, as I said previously, portable LED lighting technology has advanced radically, and continues to advance, by leaps and bounds.  That's why I like to have options, for upgrades, as they become available. 

Today's good, high quality LED flashlights are capable of almost limitless lighting uses.  Most people aren't really aware of what's available to them, since they're not always sold in every brick and mortar store.   They assume that what you see at your local Ace Hardware, Home Depot, or Lowe's Hardware, is all there is - and those lights are...less than stellar in performance.

Also, a lot of people don't know of, or partake in forums like these, where they can learn about the many lights available to them, on-line, and otherwise; places where they can view video reviews and read unbiased comments and findings, from knowledgeable, experienced flashlight reviewers.

There's a Surefire store not ten minutes away from me, and I've played with many of their lights.  I was just never really able to afford one lol.

Anyway, sometimes, a more neutral, or even a warmer tint is just necessary. For example, if you're an EMT, assessing a patient, an electrician, wiring up a multi-colored harness, if you're lighting up stuff for photo work, etc., it just works better, not having just a bright white light.  Sometimes, you can even combine certain tints, for an effect (in photography, and otherwise).  It's not that unusual.

I am not a professional photographer, by any stretch of the imagination; but I do like to take pictures...lots of them, and I like using some of my lights to better light whatever I'm shooting (usually indirectly). Flashlights make it possible for me to do this, without investing in thousands of dollars of photo lighting equipment.   I never really made the investment in this photo equipment; but I have invested in decent flashlights, that, for me, at least, seem to fit the bill, and can also double, for use as actual flashlights.  Best of both worlds.

I don't think that would necessarily make me any less or more deserving of a good quality light, than the guy in law enforcement, or someone in the military, or someone else using it "professionally". Do you?

I take really good care of my lights, like everything else; but they definitely see use (other than just as shelf queens).  I do expect my lights to meet certain minimum requirements (in waterproofing, drop resistance, decent anodizing, dependable user interfaces, etc.); but the bottom line is -  I simply do not have three hundred dollars to spend on a single flashlight, with no options for upgrading that light, other than completely replacing it.  That is a luxury I just do not have, at this time.  I just can't afford that.  I'm sure there are plenty of others here (and EVEN in places like Candle Power Forums), who cannot afford that (or, for whatever reason, would not rather make that steep a dollar investment in that), either.  I'm happy, for you, that you can. In your line of work, though - a nicely overbuilt light is probably a necessity, rather than a luxury.  Your life may very well depend on it. Since mine does not, it's very difficult for me to justify that kind of cash outlay, in one fell swoop, and on a single lighting tool.

I feel the same way about my guitars (for use, as actual musical tools, rather than ornaments).  I don't buy a guitar to simply look pretty, displayed behind a fancy glass case.  I buy it, so it can be played. 

Flashlights are basic tools, and come in many flavors.  What's perfect for lighting up a keyhole, may not be so well-suited for lighting up a large field, or an alleyway, from a hundred yards; thus the multiple choices of flashlights; and yes, tints, too.  I wouldn't use a screwdriver as a pry bar, or a file, as a hammer.  I firmly believe there is no one light that does it all - or I'd probably own just a handful of them, if that.  I like to use the right tool for the job; and since I'm an self-admitted flashlight fanatic, I buy different types of lights for different applications, and, for the most part, am pretty happy with my purchases.

I'll still buy that 6P host and build the P60 light of my dreams, at some point; but I don't believe P60 lights are the only way to go.  Sorry if I wrongly left anyone, here, under that impression.  They just happen do make up about a fourth of my "collection".  For me, it's an economical, but effective way to upgrade what I have, periodically (often enough), without nearly as huge a cash outlay as I'd have to come up with, if I bought a non-modular light.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:07:26 AM by David Quevedo »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 08:57:53 PM
There is accumulating empirical data that indicates that some people who spend several hours a week on the internet suffer from symptoms similar to A.D.D.I may be one of those people.Having said that,I did read your extensively long post.

As you stated it's your opinion.I agree with some of your statements and I disagree or am ambivalent to others.

Here is a quiz for you.

What company founder developed laser sights for handguns ?

What company loaned the Los Angeles police department swat team laser sighted weapons to use during the 1984 Olympic games?

What company developed weapon lights for low-light law enforcement and military operations ?

What company developed and marketed the P60 emitter of which you are so fond ?

These are not trick questions but the answer is the same for all of these questions.  Surefire and its founder Dr. John Matthews is the correct answer.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:35:40 AM
One word. Oveready :P
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%