Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I just got into pens

Corwyn · 37 · 3471

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
I just got into pens
on: September 24, 2015, 11:20:14 PM
I just got into pens... just what needed.. another money-churning hobby...  ::)

I never saw pens more than writing tools, but too many interesting ones came along and I got a bit feverish about these...

I just received my first "nice" pen and I have another four very interesting pens on their way - tba.

Anyone has any cool writing ustensiles  they might like to share?

Here's my first shiny - treated myself to it to celebrate my daughter's birth...

Sheaffer Targa 1007 Crosshatch 23K Gold Plated Ballpoint Pen
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I just got into pens
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:15:09 PM
I have tried a number of different pens but I keep going back to the trusty Fisher Bullet.  No pen seems to fill my needs like the Bullet, although it isn't perfect either.

I recently got a pen that may be the ultimate.  I will post photos and details in a bit....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:16 PM
Caran d'Ache 849 the quintessential Swiss Pen.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:48:20 PM
Hehe guys.. great minds think alike... out of the 4 I have on their way, one is a Fisher Space Pen and two are Caran d'Ache 849 ... but all with a twist  ;)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 03:32:03 PM
I just got into pens... just what needed.. another money-churning hobby...  ::)

I never saw pens more than writing tools, but too many interesting ones came along and I got a bit feverish about these...

I just received my first "nice" pen and I have another four very interesting pens on their way - tba.

Anyone has any cool writing ustensiles  they might like to share?

Here's my first shiny - treated myself to it to celebrate my daughter's birth...

Sheaffer Targa 1007 Crosshatch 23K Gold Plated Ballpoint Pen
(Image removed from quote.)
Nice looking pen! I tend to like fountain pens myself.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 03:47:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with that, as I too collect pens and have for many years. There are so many to choose from out there :D
SAW

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:51:07 PM
Nice pens! Myself I'm still a fan of the good ol' Ballograf Rondo, with the rubberized body... Damn shame I can't find those anymore  :poh:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:52 PM
I keep a zebra F-701 in my car, but one of these bics is on me 99% of the time  :D
WP_20150925_004.jpg
* WP_20150925_004.jpg (Filesize: 149.07 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:44:39 PM
Cool!

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:02:27 PM
I have allways loved Staedtler Stick 430 pens. Works like a horse, and is cheap. Very good ink, and good to write with.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 09:24:51 PM
Two of my favourites are Parker Jotter in stainless, and Zebra Expandz. I do quite like the Tombow Airpress too, and sometimes carry a Cleo Messograf at work as the caliper can come in very useful.

If I fancy a new pen, my first port of call is usually www.cultpens.com

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 09:33:52 PM
Damn it Al! I just had to look at that website...LOL!
Thanks for the link. Gonna be a while before I order any new pens. My GSX 750e and farm machinery has been taking up all of my funds.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:13 PM
 >:D

The good news is there's some affordable offerings on there too  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 10:15:25 PM
I keep a zebra F-701 in my car, but one of these bics is on me 99% of the time  :D

I also use this pen.  I have a couple space pen bullets but not a fan of the ink.  I'm a lefty and its a bit too bloppy ( technical term ) for me.  I am looking for Zebra G301's to try in them. I like Gel and I typically only like blue ink as it shows up better on photo copies and other documents IMO.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 12:38:11 AM

I also use this pen.  I have a couple space pen bullets but not a fan of the ink.  I'm a lefty and its a bit too bloppy ( technical term ) for me.  I am looking for Zebra G301's to try in them. I like Gel and I typically only like blue ink as it shows up better on photo copies and other documents IMO.

I like it, good grip and I like the little extra weight.

Al, I also like those parkers, I've got a couple kicking around somewhere  :tu:

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 03:25:17 AM
I love pens, buy more than I need but keep coming back to my trusty Fisher Space Pen telescoping.  The aluminum wears better in a pocket and there's no cap to deal with.
I use the bold point because I like it rolly.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:58 PM
Don't worry, the real money sink is fountain pens.  You get in to those things and all bets are off the table.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:47 PM
Don't worry, the real money sink is fountain pens.  You get in to those things and all bets are off the table.

Don't worry. I doubt I will.. I guess they write nicer, don't ruin your writing and are fancier, but back when I was young we didn't have modern pens.. ballpoint, roller, gel, even mechanical pencils... sometime in my fourth grade the first ones appeared on the market...
Even then the teachers would only let us write with lead pencils and fountain pens... as such I spent 16 years fighting poor fountain pens, dodgy nibs that would bend, ink that would either dry up or spill all over me, bodies that would shatter and cover me in ink or just poorly sealed ones that I'd gnaw on and get my lips blue... I got my fill of fountain pens for two lifetimes  :D

Offline ryankdespain

• New User
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 10:14:48 PM
I hav to limit myself from spending to much on a pen or I would just fall into a spiral of spending haha I stick to my Fisher space pen with a super fine ink cartridge

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 12:07:27 PM
Not really one of the fancy pens I meant, but here's my newest ballpoint...
It's just a BPR 6 Chinese made Ballpoint pen... what could it have special?  :whistle:

Show content

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 12:20:07 PM

Don't worry. I doubt I will.. I guess they write nicer, don't ruin your writing and are fancier, but back when I was young we didn't have modern pens.. ballpoint, roller, gel, even mechanical pencils... sometime in my fourth grade the first ones appeared on the market...
Even then the teachers would only let us write with lead pencils and fountain pens... as such I spent 16 years fighting poor fountain pens, dodgy nibs that would bend, ink that would either dry up or spill all over me, bodies that would shatter and cover me in ink or just poorly sealed ones that I'd gnaw on and get my lips blue... I got my fill of fountain pens for two lifetimes  :D

Same here, but then I discovered that most of the new fountain pens are much better made than the ones I used at school 30 years ago, same holds true for the ink as well. So fountain pens is another rabbit hole I've gone down  :twak:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 04:20:03 PM
So fountain pens is another rabbit hole I've gone down  :twak:

I know the feeling... And there are so many rabbit holes to go down left.  :ahhh

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline anon

Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 09:16:52 PM
I use a Fisher AG7 or an Ordning och Reda ballpoint pen.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:59 AM

Same here, but then I discovered that most of the new fountain pens are much better made than the ones I used at school 30 years ago, same holds true for the ink as well. So fountain pens is another rabbit hole I've gone down  :twak:

Trust me, it can be a very, very deep hole.

Anyone wanna try guessing the MSRP of those two pens together is?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 01:15:35 AM

Well about £159 on the Platinum and I think the other is a Pelikan so around £240?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 01:58:41 AM

Well about £159 on the Platinum and I think the other is a Pelikan so around £240?

The second is a Delta Dolce Vita Oro, so about 2x more than your estimate (I didn't pay anything close to that, thankfully).

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 02:02:03 AM
Very nice, I've been looking at the Platinums

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 04:39:15 PM
Woohoo... no way I'm going to pay that...

Back to start, so I was saying I got into pens and only posted the Scheaffer and the Video SpyPen (shame on you guys for not noticing it).

First, I just got two Caran D'Ache's from UK. They are both 849s. The Neon Pink I got off eBay with two refills for 5 Euros!!! and the Totally Swiss I got from cultpens.co.uk.

And yes, I got the pink one for my daughter, I'll just hold on to it for a while  :D

Verdict here is.. underwhelming, with all the hype about Caran D'Ache and it's high price I was expecting something amazing, but it's not:
Plus:
- Great, retro looks
- Nice resilient paint
- Strong metal body
- Both red and especially pink are gorgeous colours

Minus:
- They don't write that great -a 1 Euro Bic or Senator writes nicer
- The tip slips - definately not what I'd expect from a 30 Euro pen
- The pattern on TS is off center and the flags and name are doubled - awful, huge mistake that shouldn't have gone through QC
- The flags on TS are painted (poorly) on and some faded in 5 minutes
- The button detente is.. 0... I imagine it's designed to be so, but...  :think:

Caran D'Ache 849 Neon Pink

Caran D'Ache 849 Totally Swiss

And a set of 3 pens I got yesterday from the flea market for 4 Euros.. yes 4 Euros for the guys below. Didn't have time to identify or check them thoroughly, but they seem to sell for about 30 Euros each on the Bay of Evil...

Daniel Hechter:

Reden's France Fountain Pen

Waterman
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:32:10 PM by Corwyn »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:28 PM

Went looking for those, found a Pilot VPen instead.

Going to try it out for awhile. So far I'm liking it. I just miss a heavier pen, this is a real plume...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Grathr

Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 05:34:53 PM

Went looking for those, found a Pilot VPen instead.

(Image removed from quote.)

Going to try it out for awhile. So far I'm liking it. I just miss a heavier pen, this is a real plume...

Ive recently gotten into fountain pens. (Somehow my writing suddenly became readable )

At the office I have a Pilot refillable fountain pen. (Cant find any pics)
And I just ordered a bunch of those disposable ones, so I can always have one with me, without worrying about loosing it or it drying up.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%