Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hi from Australia :)

au Offline Scoon

Hi from Australia :)
on: September 28, 2015, 09:31:49 AM
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a little while so I thought I may as well register.

At the moment I am obsessed with multitools and DIY-type stuff. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm currently studying at uni, which means hour upon hour of quiet study in front of a computer, so when it comes to my free time I crave doing things with my hands.

At the moment I've got a Tinker and a Hiker. The Tinker is my first SAK that I bought while I was on a trip to Korea a couple of years ago (yes, it's legit lol, I bought it from the store in Seoul that's listed on the Vic website :P).

The scales have cracked a couple of times from being dropped, so I filled in the gaps with Sugru (http://www.sugru.com). If you haven't heard of it, it's AMAZING stuff. I don't know if you could call it a mod as such, but it was less bother than getting new scales and in a weird way it makes it feel like it's *mine*. I'm strangely attached to this one, and it's my EDC.

I also have a Hiker, but the only time I carry it is when I go off on expeditions to find wood to carve; it's a hobby that I'm starting on. The extra thickness makes it just a tad too bulky to carry in my jeans on a daily basis.

I've been thinking about getting a leatherman as well in order to use for home repair jobs. Having pliers is probably the only thing that's missing from most SAKs, but I might just end up getting a swisstool instead :P

Well, that's my story :)
foto_no_exif (1).jpg
* foto_no_exif (1).jpg (Filesize: 76.98 KB)
foto_no_exif.jpg
* foto_no_exif.jpg (Filesize: 66.57 KB)

au Offline Scoon

Re: Hi from Australia :)
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:37:39 AM
Also, when did carrying a folding knife drop out of tradition? It's a shame, because they're not only incredibly useful, I think it can be a declaration of personal style. It's also great for confidence.

I sometimes get stares when I pull it out for innocuous things like slicing up an apple, or using the bottle opener. How on earth did we get to this state of affairs? And it's only a Tinker! Personally, I reckon that every man should own one, and should teach his son/daughter to use one some time around 10 to 14 years of age.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:45:12 AM
Thats a tinker with character  ;) welcome  :cheers:

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:51:16 AM
Welcome mate, Nice saks there, enjoy the stay, this is a family and you will feel that :)

Interesting stuff sugru, but give those saks a new face a buy some new scales :) and try a Swiss champ not big pliers, but an awesome tool combination :)

Cheers

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:41:25 AM
Nice job on the repairs,and yes,I fully agree with you on this strange change in society's view of a very practical device.

Welcome to the forum. If you take the plunge on a Leatherman,a Rebar might be a good start,but,if it's within your budget,have a look at a Victorinox Spirit :multi:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:03 AM
Welcome to the forum. If you take the plunge on a Leatherman,a Rebar might be a good start,but,if it's within your budget,have a look at a Victorinox Spirit :multi:

+1  You won't be disappointed  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:13:38 PM
Welcome mate. And yes, take a look at the Spirit
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 07:13:28 PM
Globally something has gone wrong when carrying a knife has been lost thru the years.  It may have something to do with the "buy it new" mentality as well.  Don't fix it just replace it mentality.  Anyways Welcome  :)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:21:03 AM
Welcome aboard.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:59:48 AM
G'day and welcome. I'm in Bris myself.

I agree that everyman (& woman if they choose) should carry a multi, at minimum a small folder & definitely something that should be passed down to your children. I will be to mine. 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

au Offline Scoon

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 03:57:14 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Donations

Operational Funds