Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smaug's Den

Smaug · 103 · 7827

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Smaug's Den
on: September 29, 2015, 08:43:59 PM
(Inspired by Crow's Nest) This'll be my blog thread.

I feel like I don't have enough to say to start new threads all the time, but I'll put MT, SAK, and tool-related stuff here that is more on the personal side.

Yesterday was my son's Court of Honor, he officially made Scout rank. (had to memorize the Scout Oath, Pledge, Motto, demonstrate a square knot, describe the meaning behind the Boy Scout symbol, learn the scout salute, handshake, and sign.

Once again, he was a minor hero with his Swisschamp on his belt. I had brought my Sportsman (a simple 2 layer SAK) thinking I wouldn't need anything really. But he "saved the  day" with his scissors, de-tagging his scout scarf and pen, to fill out a permission slip for the camp out this weekend.

I've stopped buying MTs and SAKs for the time being.

I'm going out to CA this weekend to visit my sister's family again, and will see if TSA will let me through with a bladeless Wenger Esquire. (has a flat micro screwdriver instead of the blade) The scissors are pointy, so it is kind of risky. I figure I'll bury it in my carry-on, rather than trying to pocket carry it, and that will increase my odds. Maybe I'll bring a self-addressed stamped envelope, in case they decide to be difficult. :D

My son's first scout campout is this weekend. I'm sad I won't make it. We need to buy a sleeping bag and maybe a tent before Friday afternoon. (the scout Troop has some tents, but I don't know if we can count on that...) The campout theme is Wilderness survival. I think I'll lend him my Bushcraft book. (which someone here recommended one time) Maybe he'll build a snare with his Swisschamp. :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:32:41 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: Smaug's Den
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
Oh, and I added a handkerchief to my EDC. Can't believe I went all these years without one. It's especially handy for parents with young kids, whose noses seem to always be running.

To US-based folks, the package of plain white Dockers ones that Amazon sells are good quality and a fair price.

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for bandanas at the thrift shop to mix it up a bit.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:30:48 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:14 PM
:tu: always enjoy hearing your pov on things. 50ft-trad also should start one. :whistle:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:37 PM
Thanks Demel.

Oh, by the way, I also picked up two of these belt pouches. ($6)  One's for my brother for Christmas.

For those times when I want to carry more than just an MT, but not quite to the point of carrying a full-on tool belt or toolbox.

Haven't tried it yet. I'll report back when I do.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:38 PM
Thanks Demel.

Oh, by the way, I also picked up two of these belt pouches. ($6)  One's for my brother for Christmas.

(Image removed from quote.)

For those times when I want to carry more than just an MT, but not quite to the point of carrying a full-on tool belt or toolbox.

Haven't tried it yet. I'll report back when I do.

I have one that hold my sockets, mini adjustable wrench, bits, mini ratchet and magnetic extender.  I quite liked mine and ran it for a few months till I found myself wanting to overload it.  Now its part of a kit that I add to my tool belt when I want a few more tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:49:00 PM
I just deployed the Manager at work in the lab to loosen two big #2 Phillips screws to open the wiring compartment of a commercial baler.

I can't BELIEVE I got away with this, without damaging the little 58mm SAK...

That has to be the most versatile Phillips in all of the multi-tool world. It literally works equally as well on #1 or #2. Super-tight #2s might break it, but it hasn't happened yet!
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:32:15 PM
For only six bucks you can't beat that
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 11:44:52 PM
I cant stop staring at that red button  :ahhh  :ahhh

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:41 PM
(Inspired by Crow's Nest) This'll be my blog thread.

I feel like I don't have enough to say to start new threads all the time, but I'll put MT, SAK, and tool-related stuff here that is more on the personal side.

Yesterday was my son's Court of Honor, he officially made Scout rank. (had to memorize the Scout Oath, Pledge, Motto, demonstrate a square knot, describe the meaning behind the Boy Scout symbol, learn the scout salute, handshake, and sign.

Once again, he was a minor hero with his Swisschamp on his belt. I had brought my Sportsman (a simple 2 layer SAK) thinking I wouldn't need anything really. But he "saved the  day" with his scissors, de-tagging his scout scarf and pen, to fill out a permission slip for the camp out this weekend.

I've stopped buying MTs and SAKs for the time being.

I'm going out to CA this weekend to visit my sister's family again, and will see if TSA will let me through with a bladeless Wenger Esquire. (has a flat micro screwdriver instead of the blade) The scissors are pointy, so it is kind of risky. I figure I'll bury it in my carry-on, rather than trying to pocket carry it, and that will increase my odds. Maybe I'll bring a self-addressed stamped envelope, in case they decide to be difficult. :D

My son's first scout campout is this weekend. I'm sad I won't make it. We need to buy a sleeping bag and maybe a tent before Friday afternoon. (the scout Troop has some tents, but I don't know if we can count on that...) The campout theme is Wilderness survival. I think I'll lend him my Bushcraft book. (which someone here recommended one time) Maybe he'll build a snare with his Swisschamp. :D

Depending when is your flight and whether there is a post office nearby, at any rate, I'd think the chance of losing that Esquire could be pretty high and suggest better leave it in checked-in luggage (unless you just wanna experiment, but the result may or may not be replicated)  :think:

Love that bushcraft book, it is probably my second favorite after Mor's book "Bushcraft". :tu:

Good luck with your son's camping trip!  I was just looking for new material for groundsheet the other day, and do strongly recommend consider using the DuPont tyvek sheet as groundsheet(it's on evil bay), super light weight and reusable.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 08:47:20 PM
The tyvek is so loud tho Comis, dont you think?

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:02:24 PM

That I don't know yet, I just started looking into it and looks kinda promising.  I think it may be a good replacement for my REI blue nylon tarp.

From other reviews on youtube, it looks like it may soften and make less noise, if you just machine wash it with cold water(and nothing else).  Have you tried it?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 09:33:02 PM

It's very quiet compared to a typical plastic tarp...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:40:52 PM
No but Ive been on new construction and seen it on homes.  I think the washing it may be the way to go.  There is also a "soft" tyvek used as PPE for Hazmat clothing.  That's as far as I got into looking at the stuff.  Very neat material non the less.   
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 05:15:10 AM
Nice blog. I will bookmark this.

Hope you get your Wenger through TSA. Three times i have gotten knife or multitool through checkpoint. Once Wave knockoff, they looked at it, and let it go. Second time i did not even know i had small lockback forgotten on sidepouch of my bag. They looked at it, and asked, will it lock? I said no, because lock was broken, and they let me go with it. Coming back, and i did not find it anymore to put it in cargo. Went through checkpoint, and no one asked anything. Later i found it tucked at my trousers pocket wich was at my hand luggage.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 03:22:51 AM
I'm on the plane now to sunny Burbank California. I wonder how I'll get on with the castrated Wenger Esquire. As useful as scissors are, I'm sure I'll miss a proper blade, even a tiny one.

It makes me wish Victorinox would step up their game and bring out some more fully-equipped Jetsetter models.

On tap for this week:

• Visit my sister and her family for the weekend
  • Drive up to San Jose on Monday for training Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Fly home Thursday
  • Spend all day Friday catching up with work emails
  • Pick up my 3 year-old daughter for the weekend
  • Back to the grind on Monday
The next weekend, I'm volunteering with my ham radio club to provide comm. support for the medical teams at the Chicago Marathon.

I'm tired just thinking about the next couple weeks.

What are you guys up to for the next couple weeks? Please share a snapshot into your life.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 07:27:26 PM
Just back from California, where I carried nothing but the bladeless Wenger Esquire. There were a couple times I would have preferred to have a knife, but the scissors got lots of use. I used the nail file once, and also the micro screwdriver once to tighten some #0 Phillips screws on my reversible belt.

I'm carrying the Explorer now; it feels good to be packing a full-fledged pocket knife again.

I'm volunteering with my ham radio club to provide communications for the medical teams at the Chicago Marathon this Sunday. That's going to be fun! (but also a long day) I'm thinking I'll pack the Spirit X that day, and maybe the Classic just to have something fast with a toothpick & tweezers. I'm betting the Spirit will not see daylight, but that the Classic will...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 01:08:19 AM
Wow great start to what's an awesome blog.

Congratulations to your son as well, coming from an Eagle Scout, I still remember my scout rank court of honor!!

As he camped yet?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:22:12 AM
Wow great start to what's an awesome blog.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to keep it interesting, and not just make it a "me show."

Congratulations to your son as well, coming from an Eagle Scout, I still remember my scout rank court of honor!!

As he camped yet?
Kind of. He went a couple weekends ago up to southern Wisconsin for his wilderness camp out. But when they got there, there were police choppers with searchlights all over the area. Turns out a murderer was on the loose! The police didn't say so at the time, they just "recommended" they not camp in this area this weekend.

So they came back to our town and they all camped in one of the other parents' back yard.

Today, he just left for Camporee, which I understand is a bit of a contest weekend for some of the skills that are in the boy scout book. I hope it turns out well for him!

Eagle Scout, eh? Wow, that's a lot of work. (and service) How did you manage that. I think it takes until about college age, doesn't it?

I'm grateful we found something for him to do that takes his mind off of TV and video games.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 06:25:27 AM
I just got around to uploading this.

Here's my niece Clover using the nail file of her bladeless Wenger Esquire to extract Play Dough from its can. Makes me cringe a bit to watch it now.

I gave my niece and nephew each one of those the last time I was there, last month.

Now, they are both "lost." Lost is in quotes because I think maybe my sister disapproved but didn't want to tell me so, and made them disappear after I left.  :-\
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:31:37 AM
No incidents with carrying the bladeless Wenger Esquire on the plane. Burying it under some other metallic junk in the shampoo/soap/toothbrush compartment of my carry-on was a sound strategy.

I expected that they'd spot it on X-ray and I'd have to show them there was no knife blade, but they didn't even notice.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 12:52:44 AM
Now that is a true camping story!! No camping involved lol

Camporee's you could say are a test, very fun though, my troop ran 2 while I was active SPL and they were themed "TV Guide" and "Re-Run"

We chose tv shows and aligned them with games that would test scout knowledge. Kids got extra points for dressing up too!

Eagle Scout is definetly a good goal for every scout to have always on the back of their mind. It's really not bad as long as you have some good leadership experience. You have to send your "packet" (application) to the national scout office before your 18th birthday in order to be eligible.

The hardest part will be keeping him active scouts when video games, girls, high school, sports, etc... Start calling.

I started with a group of 12 kids from my grade and 1 of them made it to Life Scout, and I made it to Eagle.

I DEFINETLY recommend having him fill up his class schedule at summer camps with as many merit badges as possible. It's such a better experience being in a real class. Not to mention most camps can bring in experts on the field.

Plus he will need them for rank, it's usually one of the limiting factors before you can move on.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 03:29:21 AM
Yesterday, I bought my daughter her first Swiss Army Knife. It's a pink camouflage Classic.

She calls it her "big girl knife." She's quite smart for a 3 year old, and she knows not to touch the sharp edge of the knife blade. I think she's a little scared of it, since I've been telling her it is dangerous to touch that edge.

She just loves the scissors, nail file/SD, toothpick and tweezers.

I'm sure there'll be more to come on it in the future.

The build quality is not quite up to Victorinox's usual level though. The blade and nail file rub on each other when closing.

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 03:38:40 AM
That's awesome^^^

The rubbing is a little odd IMO.

You letting her pocket carry? Or does she come to you for it?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 06:38:08 AM
Looks like the circle of influence are expanding, and looking forward to see them join MT.O someday!  :popcorn: :D

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 04:15:49 AM
Got a snack yesterday. It had that indication on it that if I carefully tore it, it would have a nice curved opening. But my experience has been that it tears the whole side of the bag off.

So I calmly took out my classic and cut the corner off properly.

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 04:29:29 AM
My son and I went for a walk in the woods today.

We found a nice little sugar maple sapling that had a nice crotch for a slingshot, and a nice base for a shelleiigh. So we deployed our saws and went to work.

First, I cut it off at the ground:

Then, LiFu went to work on the crotch:

Here's the shelleileigh:

He used the file on his Swisschamp to smooth out some rough spots on the gripping area:

It was then that I noticed my boy's fingernails looked more like a girl's:

I put him to work with the scissors and file:

And all was well for the morning.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 05:30:30 AM
Those nails!! Dang!!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 05:40:31 AM
Another busy day. Got up at 6:30 and slacked off until about 9:30 until my wife and son got up.

Cooked brunch. (coconut pancakes, turkey bacon, fried eggs and fresh apples.)

Supervised LiFu, while he was practicing writing Chinese. He is losing the knack for it and forgetting easy words alreay, after only a year away from his fatherland. So he's got to practice every week, so he can keep his "free" third language.

Took him to his soccer game, where his team won 11-3. Wife went shopping. Someone backed out into her when she was trying to leave the lot. Some woman in a giant SUV who could not be bothered to look behind her first. So she has to deal with that tomorrow.

Came home and I worked for an hour and a half. Then, had dinner; beef stew that I cooked yesterday, along with some bok choy w/garlic that she stir-fried up.

Just watched a documentary on deer. (boring; no hunting or road kill footage) Went for a walk with my wife. Winding down now, catching up with you characters. ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 05:36:28 AM
We have a couple popular threads here: "What did you use your SAK/MT for today?"

Well, today, I thought I'd show you what I didn't use my SAK for. I took the kids to the skate park: my 3 year old on her tricycle (she loves it!) and my 11 year old on his Rip Stik. (casterboard)

Here's the lad in action on his caster board. Daughter's behind him. The other two aren't mine:

I rode my long board. The trucks have gotten looser than I like them. But all I had on my was my trusty Explorer Plus. Probably my favorite MT. But alas, it falls short when a nut needs tightening.

Maybe it's for the better. If they were too tight, I may have rounded them off a little if I'd used the grippers on a pliers-based MT.  ::)  It was not urgent anyway. I just needed to keep the speed below about 15 mph, which I normally do. (esp. with kids in tow)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:28 PM
Flying low huh?  :dwts:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!