Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smaug's Den

Smaug · 103 · 7820

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Smaug's Den
Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 06:11:23 PM
Flying low huh?  :dwts:

(Image removed from quote.)

Of all the good stories and updates available here, it's interesting how you focus on that part of detail... >:D :rofl:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 05:42:14 AM
Well, that is not exactly how I meant to entertain, hehehe.

I went ALL day like that, and no one told me.  :think:
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 02:40:51 PM
Well, that is not exactly how I meant to entertain, hehehe.

I went ALL day like that, and no one told me.  :think:

Maybe they are just too used to it... :cheers:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:57 PM
What have you been doing lately?

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 02:47:38 AM
Quote from: Crow
What have you been doing lately?

Thanks for asking Crow. I hope you don't regret asking, from this "wall of text" response. ;)

I've been busy.

My son finished his soccer (football to non-Americans) season. He's in Boy Scouts too.

Daughter is sick; complaining of leg pain at night and has a 103*F fever.

Wife is being cold to me. Always complains, no matter what I do. Doesn't tell me what she's thinking unless it is to complain about me. I haven't talked to her in a day and a half.

Dad cannot walk; he's only 71. But he's so lazy he watches TV all day and cannot be bothered to get up. So his muscles have atrophied to the point where he can't even get up now. He got to the point where he called the paramedics 3X per day to help him get up, when he fell down trying to go to the bathroom.

I've been into audio lately; bought a turntable and some kickass speakers. (Klipsch RP-160m) and have been buying a lot of records on the cheap. Wife complains about every penny I spend. Makes me depressed and makes me long for the days before she came along.

Right now, I'm ripping a record from my mom's old record collection and turntable. Telemann Methodical Sonatas for Flute and Continuo. (, if you like baroque flute)

She donated most of her records in the 90s, but kept her absolute favorites. (maybe 15) I asked her for them, and she gave them to me with the agreement that I either rip them for her or give them back if I decide I don't want them. When I was born, she was a music teacher at a conservatory: piano and flute. When my parents divorced when I was 5, she gave that up (it didn't pay enough) and went to teach primary school, but also kept teaching private flute lessons. As a result, I remember her giving flute lessons while I was growing up, and I now have a soft spot for flute.

My daughter is really enjoying records too. She likes the whole process of playing them, and watching them turn. (I have to admit, I do too...) Here's a video of it.

Isn't she about the cutest damn kid you've ever seen? (except maybe your own kids? ;) )

Here's her Christmas present from ebay, which just arrived yesterday. It's a Fisher-Price record player from 1978. You can see that my son is flabbergasted by it. Media that actually has to move is a new thing to him:

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 02:56:50 AM
A bit more on-topic:

LiFu wanted to play cribbage with me, but he had lost the pegs long ago.

So he took out his Swisschamp and whittled some new pegs: with the bark on for one color, and with the bark stripped for the other color.

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 04:20:36 AM
Looks like the son is making good use with the Swisschamp and loving it, awesome.

I am no expert in maintaining relationship, but from my own experience, living with a spouse is like pendulum with emotions, I learn to be more accepting and forgiving as time evolves.  Sometimes my work does get busy, and together with tons of side projects/hobbies, I don't always spend enough time with her, and often that's when her starts to complain and being grumpy.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 05:14:02 AM
Isn't she about the cutest damn kid you've ever seen? (except maybe your own kids? ;) )

Yes.   :tu:   :tu:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 05:43:22 AM
Sorry to hear troubles in your family. Hope you get to talk to your wife, and sort issues out. Sometimes it is good to give space to each other.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 06:10:08 AM
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 05:57:49 PM
Did you miss me? I have been in "MT Remission." I took a break from checking MTo daily. I feel like I have enough now, believe it or not.

A couple events of note happened recently:

1) My wife and I went on a cruise to Grand Cayman island, and Cozumel, Mexico. I brought the Victorinox Skipper. Used the wonderful serrated main blade quite a few times for cutting meat. The butter knives they give us just don't "cut it." But I missed the scissors, magnifier, and file. Would've been better off with the Explorer Plus and a Classic. I don't believe I'll do another island-hopping cruise, but will try to find one with more time at the destination. Snorkeling in Cozumel was awesome, and I tasted GOOD tequila for the first time. Had it Mexican style, with a salted lime wedge prior. Woo, it was good.

2) My technician buddy at work lost his Gerber MP400 at home somewhere. He makes it out like it's not big deal, but I can tell he's doing a lot more walking these days as a result. I'm thinking of loaning him my MP400 that I keep in my desk drawer, but he's one of those tool abuser types, so I probably won't. Maybe I'll offer to sell it to him for $20...

3) I used my MP400 to repair an old Panasonic motorized pencil sharpener for my mom. It just needed the thermal cutoff replaced.

4) I also used the MP400 to help disassemble a bunch of gate operators at work.

During my MT Remission,  the MTs I found myself picking most were:

• Vic Classic
  • Vic Manager
  • Vic Explorer Plus
  • Gerber MP400 (because it is the one in my desk drawer at work)
I've been carrying the Explorer Plus and Vic Workchamp to the Boy Scout activities. Today's boy scout off spring of muggle parents seem to gravitate toward cheap Chinese lock back knives and SAK knock-offs. It's very disappointing to me, as I live in a pretty wealthy area. They have designer clothes and are generlly spoiled rotten, but can't bother to get their kids a proper SAK or MT. They are all jealous though, when LiFu breaks out his SwissChamp.

There's a camping/skiing trip coming up the weekend of Feb. 19. I'll probably bring a #3 Phillips (snowboard bindings) and some kind of plier-based MT. We got LiFu a small hatchet for Christmas; I'm anxious to see it put into action. If he brings that, a SAK, and our folding camp saw, he should be able to earn his Totin' Chip. (Boy Scout badge indicating he knows how to safely handle these tools.)

I'll post some pix soon.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 08:46:41 PM
Hey, good to hear from you again. I think someone even posted in the Break Room wondering where youve been...

Glad you enjoyed the cruise (gosh i love hearing about peoples vacations... I think ill start a thread about it soon...). I think ToolJoe went on a similar cruise while you were away actually. Who did you sail with? (and more importantly, how did you get a real knife on board?)

I find that wealthy people actually tend to be the pretty cheap on the whole, outside of things that improve their appearance, and their hobbies (mrs. sLaughter likes to joke that that's the reason they are still wealthy).
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 10:53:25 PM
Hey, good to hear from you again. I think someone even posted in the Break Room wondering where youve been...
Yeah, Crow mentioned it in his blog thread. So I looked it up and replied there too.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise (gosh i love hearing about peoples vacations... I think ill start a thread about it soon...). I think ToolJoe went on a similar cruise while you were away actually. Who did you sail with? (and more importantly, how did you get a real knife on board?)
I went with Carnival Cruise Lines and my wife. It was a bonus for buying into a Vacation Club/timeshare. It was "free" except for the airfare, taxes, tips, alcohol, and shore excursions. Still, it was a 5 day, 4 night vacation for two someplace warm for under $1200, so I consider that pretty good.

I find that wealthy people actually tend to be the pretty cheap on the whole, outside of things that improve their appearance, and their hobbies (mrs. sLaughter likes to joke that that's the reason they are still wealthy).
Are you saying I'm wealthy? (I wish)

And Cheap!?  :twak:  (I jest)

I know a lot of folks that have a lot of money, and they don't seem as happy as me, who spends the money, hehehe. In all seriousness though, my wife has made some success with me and we're making great progress toward saving up for a house. Probably move in the next year or so out of our tiny little apartment.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:37 PM
Oh, and as for that getting on the ship, their rule is < 4" blade is OK.

But I did have to pay $25 to check the back while flying to the cruise terminal. (would've had to anyway, I brought a bottle of wine too)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 04:40:46 AM
Just caught up, first, I'm glad the cruise went well! I've been a couple and enjoyed them all. Actually kinda surprised at Carnivals blade policy.

Really makes you appreciate vacations a lot more. The first cruise I ever went on was terrible, I couldn't wear contacts and all my family did was snorkel! All I saw was blobs of color swimming around.

I would definetly recommend St. Thomas, and I agree with the non-hopping plans, 2 or 3 days in a port would be so much better.

I wonder if some cruises allow you to drop off via one ship and pick up on another a few days later?

As far as scouts, good luck to LiFu!! I was the only member of Troop 52 to never lose any corners on a Totin' Card or Fire Card :D I would ask your troop about their policy of laminating the cards.

Some troops allowed it, some troops didn't, their thought was if a kid can't be responsible with a paper card they can't be with a knife or fire. (Which is ridiculous IMO)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 04:05:49 PM
As far as scouts, good luck to LiFu!! I was the only member of Troop 52 to never lose any corners on a Totin' Card or Fire Card :D I would ask your troop about their policy of laminating the cards.

Some troops allowed it, some troops didn't, their thought was if a kid can't be responsible with a paper card they can't be with a knife or fire. (Which is ridiculous IMO)

Thanks for the recommendation of St. Thomas, I'll keep it in mind.

LiFu is in Troop 52! Are you local to me? (Deerfield, IL) If so, we should definitely get together and geek out some time.

He is really careless, he would lose the card before he would nick it up. I hope he grows out of it.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 06:58:44 PM
I did not know Carnival allows sub 4 inch blades. I don't think paying $25 to check a bag in so I could carry an SAK would go over well with the other half.  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:57 PM
I did not know Carnival allows sub 4 inch blades. I don't think paying $25 to check a bag in so I could carry an SAK would go over well with the other half.  :whistle:

I don't know of any ships where you can get off at one port and hop on another ship at the same port.

I'd go back to Cozumel in a heartbeat. I loved it there..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:55 PM

Thanks for the recommendation of St. Thomas, I'll keep it in mind.

LiFu is in Troop 52! Are you local to me? (Deerfield, IL) If so, we should definitely get together and geek out some time.

He is really careless, he would lose the card before he would nick it up. I hope he grows out of it.
I wish I was close!!

I was in Gulf Coast Councils Troop 52, here in Florida

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 08:29:07 PM

Well, we were checking a bag anyway.

- She had more than 3 oz. of girly hair stuff she wanted to bring.
- We had a bottle of wine. (a bottle of wine on the cruise ship costs $24-40)
- I had the MT and some walkie-talkies that I wasn't sure about.

If it weren't for the other things, I would have brought my bladeless Wenger Equire instead and done carry-on.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 08:52:58 PM
Good to have you back. :cheers: life happens but it is good to know you are safe and sound.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 05:50:55 PM
I took my daughter and a friend from Hong Kong to the planetarium yesterday.

There was only one MT-related moment. We had to wear those Tyvek admission bracelet things for entry to a movie about the sun, moon, and earth. Constanze had her "Big Girl Knife" (pink camouflage Vic Classic) around her neck. We asked her to cut them off of us. She really did feel like a big girl. (she's 3) I don't have pix of that moment; I didn't think of it at the time.

Here are a couple of pix I/we shot throughout the day though.

In the fist pic, you can spot the Classic around her neck on a blue paracord necklace.

In another one, we're looking up at her favorite planet, Jupiter. Did you know the red spot is a storm that is 2-3 times as big as earth, which has been raging for over 150 years? ...and that it has 66 "moons", many of which are asteroids that have been captured by the planet's massive gravity?

Another pic shows my friend in front of the planetarium.

If any MTo-ers want to meet up in Chicago some time, I can give you a little tour. Just give me some planning time.
IMGP0124_2.jpg
* IMGP0124_2.jpg (Filesize: 812.13 KB)
IMGP0136.jpg
* IMGP0136.jpg (Filesize: 738.9 KB)
IMGP0147.jpg
* IMGP0147.jpg (Filesize: 445.31 KB)
IMGP0150.jpg
* IMGP0150.jpg (Filesize: 433.87 KB)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:54:16 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:49 PM
A couple more. One is Constanze in front of the Chicago skyline.

The other is a toy I bought her at the gift shop. It is a little wand, and if she pushes the button, it starts spinning the head. The head has 4 LEDs, attached to wires of different lengths. If one rotates her hand a bit while it's spinning, it looks like an animated model of a molecule.

(click for full size [1200 pixels max. dimension])
IMGP0154.jpg
* IMGP0154.jpg (Filesize: 331.42 KB)
IMGP0160.jpg
* IMGP0160.jpg (Filesize: 732.3 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 08:04:27 PM
Looks like a great time!!

Those spinning orbitals always became weapons of some kind in my family, or we would remove the  wires and put a model plane on it

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:22 PM
Here's a couple uses of the Gerber MP400 that lives in my desk drawer at work. I was taking apart a gate operator for construction review.

One shows taking staples out of boxes; these always end up cutting me later, so I nip that in the bud by just taking them out right away.

Another shows loosening the bolts that hold the plastic housing on; just a turn or so, then I can finish them by hand.

Lastly, using the excellent (but short) #2 Phillips to loosen a couple screws on the control box.

In other MT news, the MP600 "Pro Scout" arrived the other day. I need to test the wire cutter, and maybe replace the can opener with a large flat head, and it should replace the Wave nicely for me.

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:41 PM
Looking for a pre-made belt hanger for your larger SAK or MT?

The wrist strap that comes with most compact point & shoot cameras is perfect. Here's an old Olympus one. Somehow, the plastic bead to cinch it tighter on the wrist went missing. I found a nut that fits just right.

These are about the perfect length to carry that MT or SAK vertically in your hip pocket, so it's more comfortable and stays out of the pocket lint a bit. These can be found pretty cheap on feeBay.

Had some yummy sushi for lunch the other day:
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 09:42:32 PM
Mmmmmmm yum
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 06:37:21 PM
I'm into my photography phase again. Just bought a Lumix (Panasonic) FZ1000 a couple weeks ago, and I have a Canon G9X on the way.

The Lumix replaces my old digital SLR, a 10 year old Pentax K100d.

The Canon G9X replaces my (gone but not forgotten) Canon S90.

Here, you can see some of my latest efforts. Mostly family stuff, but hopefully a bit better quality than everyday family photos.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5815036305

I'm finding that photography is a great motivator to stay active in these cold winter months. For example, it made me want to go to that Boy Scout meeting to learn about camp (dutch) oven cooking. There's a ski/camp trip that I will miss this coming weekend because of Assistant Scoutmaster Training on that same day. (damn!) There's a week-long camping trip coming up this summer that should provide a myriad of photo ops that can be used on the troop's website.

Of course hanging out with the Boy Scouts will give some more opportunities to sue my MTs/SAKs.

It also is a great hobby to accompany other hobbies, as it will allow better photos to be posted on fora. (not that my photos of MTs have been above average, as I'm usually as lazy as the rest of you and just use my phone to take the pix, hehehe) But I will try to do better in the future. Look for great pix from me in the future! (if not a ton of participation here...)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 03:21:39 PM
Has the troop decided where they are going for summer camp?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:44 PM
(...)

Of course hanging out with the Boy Scouts will give some more opportunities to sue my MTs/SAKs.

(...)

Just be careful and behave, you'll avoid that...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD