Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mega Multi-tool Saw Test - Pocket Size Multi-tool

comis · 17 · 1646

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Mega Multi-tool Saw Test - Pocket Size Multi-tool
on: October 04, 2015, 10:03:13 AM
Hi, everyone.

Thanks for reading and your warm support on the making of this video. :cheers:  After long, grueling 2.5 hours of sawing thru semi-hard wood beam, this video will review and analysis the saw for some of the more popular Pocket size multi-tool.

Personally, I define small/pocket multi-tool as a MT around 3in-4in in length, lighter than mid or full size multitool, and is perfect for pocket carry.

More video about Mid and Large size MT saws will be up and coming.  Subsequently, more testing video in other MT tools are in planning as well.  Hope you like this vid, and please do feel free to subscribe!  Cheers!  :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Mega Multi-tool Saw Test - Pocket Size Multi-tool
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:34:02 AM
Excellent job Comis  :cheers: I really enjoyed watching that, and it was very well thought out and very informative  :tu:

Hooray for celidor  :drink: :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:23 AM
Excellent job Comis  :cheers: I really enjoyed watching that, and it was very well thought out and very informative  :tu:

Hooray for celidor :drink: :D
+1
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:58:26 AM
Thanks for putting in so much effort and time into this  :drink: :drink:
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 01:24:07 PM
Bad news for the Farmer it seems

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 01:38:05 PM
Good video. :cheers:

I'm a bit surprised by the SwissChamp averaging in roughly the same time as the Camper cause the thickness of it always made it not so easy to use. But I see you grip differently than I usually do. I prefer a full hand grip while sawing.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 02:36:51 PM
Great test! I find big differences in performance between hard, soft, fresh Wood. Some work better with Vics double way cut while they get stuck easy on other where LM excel. I'm surprised the Champ did better than the thinner models. I thought the Farmer would excel. It's my choice for day hiking.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 03:27:21 PM
@ 50ft-trad, Etherealicer, styx
It's kinda interesting outcome, isn't it?  I always think the Alox would be better at sawing, and going in with the mentality that the Alox scale would have better retention at the surface...but both Huntsman and Camper does better than Farmer, and I think it's hard to dismiss those results.  However, to farmer's defense, the difference is noticeable, but not too dramatic.

@ enki_ck
You brought in a very good and valid point, and I will explore that idea more in the second video(or in the tips video).  In mid size tool, grip and sawing strategy, does come into play a lot and do affect the result.  Overhand grip is what I would prefer when using mid size tool(I could exert more force and leverage).  But for the first video, I try to maintain the same grip and strategy through out the video.

Swisschamp performace is great, partly because the handle is wider, so you will have more handle to grab onto, and that extra control allow me to saw more  straighter and faster.

@Mextreme
I thought about the idea of soft wood too, but do worry that it's difficult to ensure the consistency of the girth or density...and for future prosperity, it is maybe difficult to procure the same branches to reproduce similar test environment.  But thanks for bringing it up, I will bare that on menu for future vids.

Farmer is really popular choice for hikers/campers, if do the youtube search, I won't be surprised Farmer have more sawing video than most other MTs.  Maybe that's where our preconception comes from, that it really excels for sawing.  Nonetheless, I still love my Farmer, because its durability and the beefier blade/lockup.

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 04:25:56 PM
To be fair, the most comparable model to the Farmer in my mind is the Huntsman. The difference there is 20 seconds which is nothing if you're doing something smaller, but certainly noticeable in this test.

Where the reality of Farmers popularity lies is the in line awl and the durability of the Alox scales when compared to Cellidor, even if it is only perceived. A similar thing could be observed in an Alox Pioneer v Tinker as a general EDC knife.
As a side note I do believe that Alox provides better traction if your hands are sweat prone like mine are since I've never dropped the Farmer but have had instances where other SAKs slipped out of my hand

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:59:32 PM
That video was incredible, and I'm amazed at the amount of work you put into this.

I think this is going to be the new standard for saw testing for the foreseeable future.

I am amazed and delighted by this body of work, sir.  :hatsoff:

As for the results... I guess I can only say that I have been amazed at how well these little pocket sized saws work, and my Wenger Evogrip 16 was amazing when i tried it compared to some larger tools' saws.

I'm very curious to find out, when all your tools are tested, how the larger tools (particularly if you have a Rangergrip) will test.

I suspect you won't see much difference in time between these and the medium size Leatherman tools (like Sidekick, Rebar, and Wave) and possibly the Vic Spirit.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 05:41:51 PM
@Styx

Absolutely agree on Farmer's awl, love it and surely is a highlight tool on 93mm SAK.  I think in the grand scheme of things, you are right on nail that if we are only using it very occasionally, the result difference probably will not be very noticeable.  Only if we are using it a lot, then the fatigue and performance may be a concern.

In terms of tool retention in use, I too kinda wonder if there is difference between wet vs dry hand on alox vs cellidor...but there is no real way I could test that and be consistent on how wet is the hand. :rofl:  Any other interesting element is whether thicker cellidor model may provide better retention than the thinner model of Alox.

@Lynn

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I did a some research on how best to conduct these tests, and this is definitely a collective effort/ideas from MT.O and other forum members.

Currently, I finished another 5 hours of sawing with mid size tools, and will soon start testing on large size MT.  Not to be too much of a tease, I think I will save those results and discussion till the next mid size vid is up.  But with many more contestants, large variation of ergonomics, the analysis does get more complicated for sure.

I too am eager to find out whether it is true that bigger is always better theory is true.  Meanwhile, I must admit that there is some human element/error involves in this kind of testing.  But I think if the difference is significant, we should be able to pick that up regardless. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 06:01:41 PM
 :hatsoff: OUTSTAND WORK Comis.

Thank you very much for this in depth video and testing.  My take away, I was surprised the SC did so well vs the Alox Farmer.  I also would have thought the S17 with the ergo scales would have been faster.  It goes to show that like you said all the saw are very capable "if" you should find yourself needing a saw ( within reason ). 

I really liked the way you set this up and presented the information.  Again thank you for this and I can only imagine there will be many using this as a reference for their choice in a pocket tool for outdoor use.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 06:41:34 PM
Great video!

I really enjoy videos on comparisons and actual use videos like the "challenges".  It nice to see th saks/mts put to actual use.

Keep up the great work!!! :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:23 PM
Great video.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 08:56:54 PM
@Aloha007
No kidding, I too was a little surprised by the results.  If we take a look at the delemont S17 scales, I felt they are more optimized for the blade more than for the saw, but they are just as comfortable to hold onto for sawing.  Even though it is just 6mm shorter in body, maybe the 85mm body is a slight disadvantage since it offers less material to hold onto?

@sir_mike and Chako

Thanks for watching!  I will try to do my best. :salute:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:20:48 AM
Great video, thank you :salute:

I must say I'm most surprised by the LM Juice result. A few years ago I did an, albeit very primitive compared to yours, saw test and found the Juice saw to be the best in dry wood :think:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 05:45:29 PM
Great video, thank you :salute:

I must say I'm most surprised by the LM Juice result. A few years ago I did an, albeit very primitive compared to yours, saw test and found the Juice saw to be the best in dry wood :think:

Thanks for the link, it's interesting to see different result from other testers. :tu:

I think it is inherently difficult to find absolute definitive result or design a test without human/natural error.  But if we take away the human element(no hand sawing) and the wood(no organic matter), then the experience will be entirely different and we can hardly relay to those results.

I guess in my tests, I try to control the test and minimize all the variables, by the following:

--Trying to repeat the same sawing in similar conditions, 12 times
--Rotate the order of testing, so less favoritism towards any tools
--Do not try to finish all test in one go(12 rounds = 2.5 hours collectively, humanly impossible), and taking necessary rest in between.
--Consistent and commonly found wood sample, hopefully less variable in density
--Non-slip mat under the wood sample, to reduce unnecessary displacement of wood during sawing
--All tools are brand new, so as long it is not a lemon, the saws should function well

The only major variable I can see is how different grip or sawing strategy may affect the outcome, but that's just personal preference and hard to be objective to say which technique/strategy will work for which person.  I wouldn't pretend my test is definitive in any way, but I just try my best effort to yield more meaningful results.  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%