Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty/Replacement

ca Offline rovot

Leatherman Warranty/Replacement
on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:45 AM
Hi Guys,

New Here at the forum. But was lurking here and there from time to time, and decided to finally register.  :cheers: First Post...

I recently sent my First Gen Wave to Leatherman for repair and/or replacement (some minor chips on both the straight and serrated blades and the annoying wobbling handle when closed). I really love the first Gen Wave, but I'm anticipating that they will replace it with the new model which I have no problem with...My question is, do you think I can ask that if in case they're going to replace it, is it possible to request for the black oxide finish?

It could be a long shot though, but just want to know if any of you had that experience or somewhat a special request that was granted in a way by leatherman. :D price point I think theres not much difference, because I think the Sheath is what dictates the higher price of the black oxide from the stainless one based on my observation.

Let me know your thoughts...

TIA!

se Offline Mextreme

Re: Leatherman Warranty/Replacement
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:10:50 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Leatherman is known for a no questions asked attitude for the warranty so Im certain they will replace your tool with a refurbished one. I do not think you can claim any special version of the Wave but with a little luck it could be a black oxide, I saw someone else get that.

With that beeing said. I don´t think that Leatherman has any obligation to exchange your tool. The wobble may be considered under warranty and can surely be made tight again by adjusting/peening the pivot.
I consider that normal maintenance after 10+ years of service.

Chips in the edge should not be under warranty, in my opinion, if there is nothing seriously wrong with the heat treatment of the blades which is doubtful and could probably be eliminated by sharpening the blade and putting a new edge on it.

However Leatherman is known for taking the easy way and don´t take the effort to investigate but simply replace it.

ca Offline rovot

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:32 AM
Hi Mextrene, thanks for your input. I wrote the Toronto Warranty Service, and they told me they don't have the Black Oxide, But if I wanted that I can ship to the Portland office.

But I think I can settle for the stainless finish, cause I feel naked without my wave. :D

It is most certain that they will replace it according to the email for they don't  fix them here in the Canada warranty office.

Cheers Mate!

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:58:06 AM
I sure hope you kept that great Gen 1 sheath. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline rovot

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:17 PM
 :D Yup, I did plan to keep it. I still think the old sheaths were hands down the best.

:cheers:

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:47 PM
Don't get rid of it. It's a bloody classic and I wish I had one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%