Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Orange Hunter Pro in The Martian

comis · 27 · 7918

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Victorinox Orange Hunter Pro in The Martian
on: October 05, 2015, 10:39:10 AM
Just watched this movie over the weekend, and saw Matt Damon using the Vic Orange Hunter Pro in opening packets, 55 million km away up in Mars. :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Orange Hunter Pro in The Martian
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:21:08 PM
And here I thought it was some larger Spyderco.  I (obviously) couldn't ask the projectionist to rewind it so I could double-check. :facepalm:

I suppose they were opting for something lightweight. *cough*

us Offline cody6268

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:44 PM
I thought astronauts were issued the Master Craftsman?  Anyway, it's been retired for ages.  Even though I am not a fan of the Hunter Pro (I'd prefer the Buck 110), still glad to see a Victorinox product in a movie.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:50:09 PM by cody6268 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:59:53 AM
Spyderco might be cool to see on a movie, but I would imagine you will need a XL opening hole in order to use it with Space suit gloves.  :D

Lightweight is important, and in terms of weight-dimension-to-tool ratio, it's still gonna be hard to beat the good'o 91mm models.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 03:04:44 PM
Spyderco might be cool to see on a movie, but I would imagine you will need a XL opening hole in order to use it with Space suit gloves:D

Lightweight is important, and in terms of weight-dimension-to-tool ratio, it's still gonna be hard to beat the good'o 91mm models.

Am I wrong to think it might be unwise to use razor sharp, pointy knives while wearing a space suit? 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:27:06 PM
Spyderco might be cool to see on a movie, but I would imagine you will need a XL opening hole in order to use it with Space suit gloves:D

Am I wrong to think it might be unwise to use razor sharp, pointy knives while wearing a space suit? 

Ok, 111mm OHO trekker would be an even better choice...obviously NASA didn't consult MT.O before deciding what tool to bring to Mars.  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:30:51 AM

Ok, 111mm OHO trekker would be an even better choice...obviously NASA didn't consult MT.O before deciding what tool to bring to Mars.  :D

What whould be the perfect tool to bring to Mars? :think:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 08:58:28 AM

What whould be the perfect tool to bring to Mars? :think:

I would imagine whatever that is, it will mostly be used inside the craft/station.  And possibly something without bits.  :pok:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:14 PM
I'm, DEFINITELY, going to see this flick!!! :tu:

Though I must confess.  An OHT would have been a easier to use with space gloves :think:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:52:19 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:47:26 PM
I would think pretty much all the tools exept the knife blade would be near impossible to operate with space suit gloves. :think:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:05 PM
Kinda what I was thinking.

That's us mobile.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:17 PM
I am thinking if they do have to use some kind of tools with bulky space gloves, it's not gonna be any kind of multi-tool that we use to see(just can't imagine tumbling around just to get a tool out),  but simple powertool with fixed bit and maybe a blunt head fix blade(like a dive knife).  :think:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 09:46:17 AM
Actually NASA's bit with knives started off in the old capsule programs on the idea of escape and survival after tropical water landings. The first blade was a folding machete for jungle survival if the recovery crews couldn't get to the capsule. Then came something more multi role with the Randal Astro which is basically a beefed up cross between the survival and pilots knife sturdy enough to pry open the door if need be. With the shuttle program came a custom Emerson with a modified tanto blade that had a notched tip for opening freeze dried food packets. Last I heard NASA no longer has an official knife instead letting crews pick their own with in reason, usually a SAK.
I kind of went nuts on the space knife research one night and this is the overview I remember, it is far from complete and I don't remember the pages aside from that Randal still offers the Astro.

The Russians on the other hand require all personnel to be armed with firearms at all times, though they did supposedly develop a high intensity dazzler laser pistol to permanently blind, but I don't know if it has ever been issued in space.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:51:18 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 10:51:22 AM
Actually NASA's bit with knives started off in the old capsule programs on the idea of escape and survival after tropical water landings. The first blade was a folding machete for jungle survival if the recovery crews couldn't get to the capsule. Then came something more multi role with the Randal Astro which is basically a beefed up cross between the survival and pilots knife sturdy enough to pry open the door if need be. With the shuttle program came a custom Emerson with a modified tanto blade that had a notched tip for opening freeze dried food packets. Last I heard NASA no longer has an official knife instead letting crews pick their own with in reason, usually a SAK.
I kind of went nuts on the space knife research one night and this is the overview I remember, it is far from complete and I don't remember the pages aside from that Randal still offers the Astro.

The Russians on the other hand require all personnel to be armed with firearms at all times, though they did supposedly develop a high intensity dazzler laser pistol to permanently blind, but I don't know if it has ever been issued in space.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting read.

I kinda wonder what those firearms are for...maybe to ensure personal or safety in case they landed wrong?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 09:28:49 PM
Just saw the Martian and saw the knife.  Great movie by the way.
But who thought it would be a good idea to bring a orange knife to Mars?

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:08 PM
Russian space program is military, gun is part of the uniform. The laser was actually developed for use inside a crew vehicle without risking structure or systems. In other words they are not intended for the the return trip but rather other astronauts.

US on the other hand separated NASA from the USAF to make it a civilian agency decades ago. USAF and USN still supply NASA pilots due to training needs, but have there own separate space commands for managing unmanned assets.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:35:21 AM
Russian space program is military, gun is part of the uniform. The laser was actually developed for use inside a crew vehicle without risking structure or systems. In other words they are not intended for the the return trip but rather other astronauts.

US on the other hand separated NASA from the USAF to make it a civilian agency decades ago. USAF and USN still supply NASA pilots due to training needs, but have there own separate space commands for managing unmanned assets.

This may be a little derailing, but thinking about the oddity of space mission, there are probably a million and one things that could go wrong, and if I were an astronaut, I would like to have the comforting thought that my teammates are trustworthy and reliable.  To me, it is a sad thought to have weapons on board, just in case of people going berserk or become suicidal.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 08:38:16 AM
I'll just leave this one here  :whistle: :

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:46:19 PM
About 10 years ado I spoke to a guy who claimed to be a psychologist working for NASA on personality types for the space program. Apparently there had been fist fights on every long duration space flight prior. He said the problem was the kind of people that get through the program are so intelligent they can actually out smart all the testing, and they can hide any hint of propensity for violence. I guess there is something that happens to people when they are stuck inside a tin can up there for weeks or months at a time.

Back to the Martian. What did he cut himself free with? I thought it might have been a FE blade Gerber MP600?
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 06:45:09 AM

About 10 years ado I spoke to a guy who claimed to be a psychologist working for NASA on personality types for the space program. Apparently there had been fist fights on every long duration space flight prior. He said the problem was the kind of people that get through the program are so intelligent they can actually out smart all the testing, and they can hide any hint of propensity for violence. I guess there is something that happens to people when they are stuck inside a tin can up there for weeks or months at a time.

Back to the Martian. What did he cut himself free with? I thought it might have been a FE blade Gerber MP600?

Cut himself free? I cant seem to remember that scene :think:

au Offline TheDude

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 12:30:43 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!  :facepalm:

At the begining when he cuts himself free from the harpoon cable thingy  :think: I think.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 06:29:57 AM

Fist fight?  Really?  It reminds me an episode of Battlestar Galactica, where onboard the ship they host boxing matches on a monthly basis, just for people to vent.

It's been a long while since I saw the movie, can't really remember now.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:30 PM
Fist fight?  Really?  It reminds me an episode of Battlestar Galactica, where onboard the ship they host boxing matches on a monthly basis, just for people to vent.

We used to do that. It started getting out of hand....

I looked up that Randall Astro and thought it actually looked like something I'd use, then I saw it was $500.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:21 PM
I'm watching the movie for the second time and have seen it numerous times. Mrs tj told me to stop pointing it out.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:39 PM
I kinda wonder what those firearms are for...maybe to ensure personal or safety in case they landed wrong?

The Russians recovered their space capsules over land...probably deep in remote locations like Siberia...cosmonauts were armed for survival purposes.

Cosmonaut Survival Weapon

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 04:50:48 PM

The Russians recovered their space capsules over land...probably deep in remote locations like Siberia...cosmonauts were armed for survival purposes.

Cosmonaut Survival Weapon

thanks for the interesting link :tu:

au Offline TheDude

Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 11:45:40 AM
Looks like something out of "Mad Max" aka "The Road Warrior".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD