Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I send it in?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Should I send it in?
on: October 06, 2015, 02:17:38 AM
I recently purchased a well-used '93 Soldier off Ebay for $30 shipped.  However, when it got here, I noticed the very tip end of the awl was broken off, but flat, almost perfectly to be used as an eyeglass screwdriver. 

The awl is the most battered tool in it.   The edge is also quite rough. 

Should I ship it off to Switzerland to have a new awl put in?  Or should I just live with the fact that my awl is now an eyeglass screwdriver?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Should I send it in?
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:40:15 AM
Can we see a photo of it?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:45:18 AM
Wow...interesting dilema!

Since you bought it used on eBay and I assume there were pictures, I figure you shot yourself in the foot on that one.  And Victorinox warranty work in North America is done in Connecticut and Ontario...you wouldn't need to send it to Switzerland. 
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:37 AM
I just sent in my old cross Electrician along with a Champion to get fixed up. It went to Connecticut. They called and told me that they are unable to replace the blade on the Electrician. Something about old, rivets, etc. He was very nice but didn't know exact details. He said I could send it to Switzerland but that it would be a "whole other ballgame". So I told them to just send it back.

I think I may try using it for my first mod.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:07:22 AM
 :worthless:

Can you not clean it up yourself?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:18:16 AM
As zoid said  :tu: possibly regrind it back too a awl  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:35 AM
I must say that if you bought a knife after seeing pictures, or even decided to take a gamble on an old knife not knowing the condition 100%, then the responsibility for the condition of that tool lies with you. You can either accept what you bought, or talk to the seller if you are unhappy with your purchase. I do not see this as the responsibility of the manufacturer to fix at their cost. If you want something in new condition, then go buy a new one.

I personally believe (and I know others disagree), that Leatherman have suffered misuse of their warranty my people (dishonestly in my opinion), buying second hand tools and then sending them in to be made fresh. I believe this has harmed the company, and that they now have to factor in additional profits in their current sales and production to cover the servicing of 25 years worth of previous products, whether legitimate or illegitimate.

Please do not do this to Victorinox. They give us fantastic products at excellent prices, and I'd hate for them to start being faced with this same kind of abuse  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:35:20 PM
If it was a much loved knife with sentimental value it might be worth sending in for a replacement Awl but I would expect them to charge you.

I don't think they would agree that grinding the awl into a small screwdriver would count as a manufacturing defect  :)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:45:29 PM
I would have paid to have it done, but from looking at things, I can file it down to what it needs to be. No need to send it in.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:59 PM
Nice one  :tu:

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 03:47:46 AM
Reamer edge is now razor sharp and no longer rough  and the point extremely pointy--all it took was a couple minutes stroking the edges with my Leatherman PST II's diamond side of the file.  It's officially fixed.  Sometimes, what might look unfixable actually is fixable.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 04:27:46 AM
 :tu:   :tu:   :tu:

Offline Einstein

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:22 AM
I want to see the picture too.

* 1196453940-SAKgif.jpg (Filesize: 4.29 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 09:39:25 AM
Reamer edge is now razor sharp and no longer rough  and the point extremely pointy--all it took was a couple minutes stroking the edges with my Leatherman PST II's diamond side of the file.  It's officially fixed.  Sometimes, what might look unfixable actually is fixable.

Excellent! Well done :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%