Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PST II scissors

us Offline tommywp

PST II scissors
on: October 07, 2015, 01:39:01 PM
How good/bad are the PST II scissors? Are the scissors on later tools superior to the early ones, or anything like that?

My benchmark for MT scissors is whether they can cut a clothing tag...most fail...can the PST II handle this? 

:salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: PST II scissors
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:14:28 PM
Personally i prefer the older pstll /og wave scissors,much larger and dont stab you while you deploy them,there a great bit of engineering IMHO  :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:18:58 PM
The first PST II scissors had a design flaw which causes the handle to slip past its stop. They fixed that in later models. I'm not sure what year the fix was made. I think they are great scissors and can easily cut a tag.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:47:53 PM
I have the PST2 scissors on the OG wave.  They are great, very tough.  The only thing is (and this may be specific to mine), but every time I close them, about halfway through the closing motion they make this really loud click and I always think I've broken them. 

us Offline tommywp

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:56:22 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to hear the scissors work well. So it sounds like I'd be better off not getting a really earlier model PST II, but otherwise it doesn't matter as  there's no difference in the scissors.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:57:29 PM
I think they are the same scissors as Micra, very good
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:31:53 PM

Similar but different   :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 10:32:29 PM

Yeah but the blades are the same?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:43:46 PM

yes they are.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:37 PM

yes they are.
Then they are great.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:18 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to hear the scissors work well. So it sounds like I'd be better off not getting a really earlier model PST II, but otherwise it doesn't matter as  there's no difference in the scissors.

If you happen to get one the scissors are an easy fix, five minutes with a small hobby file.The scissors on these early models had a design flaw which caused the handle to slip past the stop when cutting anything heavier than paper. LM later fixed the problem by putting a bevel on both pieces. I modified these scissors in the same way so they work perfectly.

20191204_170334_LI by SteveC, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:14:32 AM by SteveC »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:37 PM
First, great post SteveC. My PST II is apparently of that old variety.

Second, just thought I'd throw in my opinion. They're awesome. In fact, I have an old beat-up PST II that if it weren't for the scissors, I'd probably trade away. Yes, they cut clothing tag. I just checked. AND, I also checked the Wingman and Wave as well. All passed both left and right handed.

The differences are two-fold. The cuts made with the PST II scissors are longer per stroke, and the handle is longer, with more ergonomic thumb rest, meaning it both takes less effort to push the scissors closed and is more comfortable doing it.

This is an awesome scissor design that I'm very sorry to see go.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:08 PM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:37 PM
I have a PST II which other than a few marks on the outside from the rivets on the sheath, is pretty much in mint condition. I was thinking about selling it, BUT I also have a SOG S61 Powerlock which is missing a few tools for a full loadout...... :whistle:

My Powerlock will be furnished with these scissors and a diamond file in the not too distant future  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:50 AM
The SOG scissors are terrible. This is a solid idea. I love the SOG compound pliers, but everything else is meh at best. Cool to put together a tool from all the best available bits.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 12:44:00 AM
The SOG scissors are terrible. This is a solid idea. I love the SOG compound pliers, but everything else is meh at best. Cool to put together a tool from all the best available bits.
Yea the sog scissors are bad, but still better than the wingmans imo they cut paper fine. But anything else not so much
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 01:12:47 AM
The PST II's scissors are among the best on any multitool IMO. I'm sure Lynn will now respond to that with graphs and such proving me wrong..... ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 01:16:11 AM
Demel: I've had 3 Wingmans (Wingmen?) and all of their scissors were fine, and much better than the SOG's. One set DID have that weird lock disengage thing though.

JD... Funny, I never did the scissors test on them. I know they're good, but I don't know HOW good. I honestly don't think I'd argue with 'among the best'. So... sorry? :D

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 01:22:41 AM
Demel: I've had 3 Wingmans (Wingmen?) and all of their scissors were fine, and much better than the SOG's. One set DID have that weird lock disengage thing though.

JD... Funny, I never did the scissors test on them. I know they're good, but I don't know HOW good. I honestly don't think I'd argue with 'among the best'. So... sorry? :D
No worries. It's also possible after being spoiled with vic scissors, I have much higher expectations for others that are unreasonable. I'll pick up a wingman tomorrow and do some comparisons. :tu: I can say for me the sog scissors are more comfortable not sure why but they are good in hand 
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 01:32:41 AM
Oh, I'm not a fan of the Wingman Scissors. It's just that they're better than the SOG I had (I had two Powerlocks, and both scissors were atrocious).

As a lefty, scissors are always a little less functional for me, so I'm very picky. I absolutely would NOT rate the Wingman Scissors as high as the Vic's (91mm specifically).

Here's a link to some test rankings I did. Vic 91mm are very highly rated.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.msg678429.html#msg678429

I think I'd finished it long before you showed up. The methodology is explained in the first post of the thread.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 02:02:38 AM
Looks great, I'll have to take some time to read through it. :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 02:03:27 AM
Apology accepted. :D

Demel, Lynn's testing on the scissors is first-rate. :tu:  Just don't get her started on can openers...... :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 02:16:17 AM
Oh, hey, I DID test the PST II scissors: +9 score
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.msg828105.html#msg828105

This means that (used) they tested as well as a used Micra. That means they tested really well.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 02:57:09 PM
Thanks for the excellent guidance everyone! My PST II came yesterday...paid on the high side for it but it looks almost unused so I'm happy. The scissors are as advertised..very good indeed!

I'm really digging the size of this thing.  More pocketable than a 4 layer SAK and it feels more capable IMHO...perfect dimensions for pocket carry. I'm going to try to swap a SOG saw in for the blade and then carry it with a folder, and I think this is going to be awesome. Funny that even with all the new stuff out there the old one turns out to be what I've been looking for.

I have the PST2 scissors on the OG wave.  They are great, very tough.  The only thing is (and this may be specific to mine), but every time I close them, about halfway through the closing motion they make this really loud click and I always think I've broken them.

This happens with mine too. If you hadn't of mentioned this, I definately would think that something is wrong given how loud the click is. Has the loud click led to problems for anyone?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:12:41 PM by tommywp »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 03:27:52 PM
PST II and OG Wave scissors have been clicking for years and are still  kicking  :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:45 PM
They're great until they break like mine did  :-\
SAW

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 03:51:58 PM

Which part broke ?

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 03:56:43 PM

Which part broke ?
The spring quit working...
SAW

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Online ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 02:36:49 PM
I love the scissors on my PST ll. As a boy, before Leathermans existed, I carried SAKs all the time. They have very good scissors. I put my PST ll scissors up with those on a SAK Delux Tinker. Same for my Micra, if not more so, because of the extended handles.

My OG Surge scissors are also great, except for that stupid dollop of Zytel they could not resist placing in the handle. Almost as if they had some leftover molten Zytel that was nearing its expiration date and had to come up with a place to use it, when they could have made the contact points more like  pst ll

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%