Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP600 Bladeless Vs. Vic OHT/Soldier

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Gerber MP600 Bladeless Vs. Vic OHT/Soldier
on: October 20, 2015, 12:43:47 AM

I think I have it narrowed down to what I want to carry next. It is down to the Gerber MP600 bladeless or a Vic One Hand Trekker/Soldier and a pair of standalone pliers (lineman). I figured out either one of these two setups would give me the most bang for the buck. I would carry the MP600 in my work bag since I always carry a knife based mt in my pocket or carry the standalone pliers in my work bag and the Trekker in my pocket. Any recommendations?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ph Offline Zephon

Re: Gerber MP600 Bladeless Vs. Vic OHT/Soldier
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:46:29 AM
I'm one to actually go with an actual pair of pliers, given the chance.  I mean using a multi-tool is cool and all that and nothing beats it if you've got nothing else on you, but if I know I'm gonna need a pair of pliers for a given task then I found it better to just bring a heavy-duty pair of pliers (or vise-grips). 

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:48:02 AM
Of those options, there are a couple good reasons to go with the Vic/pliers instead of the MP600 bladeless:

• You'd have a knife
  • You'd have a working wire cutter
  • Longer stock saw
  • Toothpick and tweezers
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:00:28 AM
I carry and use a BN MP600 but only because I'll have another tool handy for cutting wire.

For me, as a stand alone tool it is a fail. More so IMO if it's the needle nosed version. The blunt nosed is better.

Hmm, that gives me an idea for a thread.

Edit: I see it wouldn't be stand alone.

What knife based multitools do you carry?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:03:12 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:47:13 PM
90% of the time it is a Crater C33T and the other 10% is a Vic Tinker.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:48:59 PM
I'm going to put a new spin on this one: Bladeless MP600 v Rebar v OH Trekker/dedicated pliers..

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:47:36 PM
I'm going to put a new spin on this one: Bladeless MP600 v Rebar v OH Trekker/dedicated pliers..

In that case, let me throw a wrench into your thinking....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62309.0.html

Basically, someone at Leatherman screwed up, and accidentally listed both Skeletool RX and  Knifeless Rebar under a list of compatible items with their sheaths. Leatherman officially dented the RX, but ignored the knifeless Rebar.

So what I'm saying is that it may be worth it to wait on the Rebar, and get the knifeless version when it comes out in the near future, even though my personal choice on the matter is get the Rebar.

I know, I'm so helpful in decision making! Just going my part :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:51:05 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:08:12 PM

Here's my take on it....

MP600: Comfortable handles, and the tools inside can be relied upon. The file isn't the greatest though. Needle nosed or blunt nosed pliers are personal choice, with a good main gripping area, but the indexable cutters are too brittle for hard wire, and aren't close enough for thin stranded materials. The standard MP600 plier heads without the inserts, are better for wire cutting in my opinion.

Rebar: very uncomfortable handles in my opinion, with lots of hotspots and a more splayed too. Drivers are good (apart from the taper on the smaller one which stops you getting into connector blocks etc), good file and saw are good (though expect to get a build up of crud in the nail access slots). Blades feel too delicate for the size of tool to me. Better wire cutters, but heavily compromised main gripping area, and no choice of blunt/needle nose unless you introduce them to Mr Grindstone

OH Trekker & dedicated pliers: I personally don't like the 111mm range. Stick with 91mm unless you specifically want a longer saw and longer locking blade, in which case skip the 111mm and go straight to 130mm. Pliers depend on what you choose  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:09:38 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:03 PM
MP600 :2tu:
SAW

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
If I go with option three, I would go with some shorter length lineman pliers or combination (as knipex calls em) pliers.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 06:12:10 PM
I think it's now down to a Rebar or a Trekker/Soldier with some dedicated pliers now..

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:44:55 PM
I'm leaning towards the bladeless MP600 now. I already have a couple dedicated blades I could rotate for carry (Crater C33T/Gerber EAB) so the bladeless MP600 would be a good compliment to what I carry that day. I've never had a Gerber MT so i'm itching to give them a try.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:10:45 AM
I'm leaning towards the bladeless MP600 now...

I have a few MP600s in different configurations, including a bladeless version.  One regret I have about the bladeless MP600 is that the replaceable carbide cutter blades don't work as well as the conventional cutters for doing electrical work (copper wire). 

The replaceable cutter blades require more force than the conventional cutters when cutting wire.  Plus, I haven't been able to strip insulated wire with the replaceable cutters.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 08:27:42 PM
Parness I found the same thing. Best wire cutters I found were. SOG compound leverage and swisstool were way better than MP600 or Leatherman. But I still like the MP.
Cause it's..... ah.... nifty!
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 03:14:20 AM
Joe, it's hard to explain just how bad the wire cutter is on the MP600 with the carbide insert.

If you're itching to try an MP600, find a pre-carbide one for sale. The cutter on my MP400 is orders of magnitude better than the one on the carbide MP600.

I second TheDude's recommendation re. wire cutters. Did you see my wire cutter comparison video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0pqFR3yVU

Rebar with a OHO knife is a good combo. You'd have a quick blade with the OHO knife, and everything else with the Rebar. (including a reasonable wire cutter) I had one, but returned it in favor of a used, great condition Wave. (which cost about the same as the new Rebar)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 04:33:45 AM

Here's my take on it....

MP600: Comfortable handles, and the tools inside can be relied upon. The file isn't the greatest though. Needle nosed or blunt nosed pliers are personal choice, with a good main gripping area, but the indexable cutters are too brittle for hard wire, and aren't close enough for thin stranded materials. The standard MP600 plier heads without the inserts, are better for wire cutting in my opinion.

Rebar: very uncomfortable handles in my opinion, with lots of hotspots and a more splayed too. Drivers are good (apart from the taper on the smaller one which stops you getting into connector blocks etc), good file and saw are good (though expect to get a build up of crud in the nail access slots). Blades feel too delicate for the size of tool to me. Better wire cutters, but heavily compromised main gripping area, and no choice of blunt/needle nose unless you introduce them to Mr Grindstone

OH Trekker & dedicated pliers: I personally don't like the 111mm range. Stick with 91mm unless you specifically want a longer saw and longer locking blade, in which case skip the 111mm and go straight to 130mm. Pliers depend on what you choose  ;)

I beg to differ on how comfortable is the MP600 handle vs Rebar handle, especially if we need it to saw(MP600 Pro Scout).

@OP 

Between LM Rebar vs MP600, I would probably prefer Rebar for smaller footprint/easy carry/minimalist feel, and great price/performance.

Judging from your usual carry of Crater/Tinker, I think you would like and appreciate Vic OH Trekker better than the other combo, especially if you don't need use 1/4 bits or constantly need pliers.  Personally, I would prefer to have fast easy access to my blade/simple tool in my pocket, then to fish out a MT everytime when I just need a simple job done.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 07:51:46 PM
I'd love a Swisstool but why are so they dang expensive  :ahhh

After watching that video, it looks like it affirms that the cutters on the bladeless mp600 are lackluster.

Looks like its down to the Rebar or Trekker/Pliers.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:34 AM
To throw another card in the mix, what about the SOG Power Lock or Power Assist?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 03:10:52 AM
To throw another card in the mix, what about the SOG Power Lock or Power Assist?

I'm considering giving one of them a try too.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 03:36:35 AM
Another good thing about the SOG's is they seem to be very mod friendly and interchangeable for parts..

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 09:36:50 AM

I'm considering giving one of them a try too.
No experience with the Power Lock but I suggest you try that one... the Power Assist has too many hot-spots on the handle (with the locks etc.), the Power Lock looks better that way.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
I'm also thinking about going with a variant of the Trekker and this big set of pliers:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_464614-16878-55754_1z0wcfw__

Lowes has it on sale for $10..

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:31 PM
I think at this point, I am going to cancel the bladeless MP600 out of the equation due to the less than stellar things I have had about it.

At this point, it is probably down to a Spirit w/butter blade vs. a OH Trekker/Pliers.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:37 PM
Update: I think I am going to go down the avenue of Trekker/Soldier/GAK and dedicated pliers. I seem to get along better with SAK's more than plier based mt's..

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 12:12:48 AM
I bought a Vic oh soldier from feline vet :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD