Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza SAKs?

Grass · 135 · 16050

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Swiza SAKs?
Reply #90 on: October 25, 2015, 08:08:51 AM
I like the design. The locking blade will be unlocked by pressing the cross on the scale (works from both sides).
Too bad they don't feature a toothpick.
If they throw in scissors (non-serrated) at some point, I'll grab one.
The only thing I can say about the design so far is:
When using the knife, it's very uncomfortable as your fingers grip the tools, not the handle (similar problem as with the OHO loop of the 111mm, but along the full length of the tool).
And I'm a bit skeptic about pressing the cross... will be interesting how this holds up over the years.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:10:06 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline crackout

Reply #91 on: October 25, 2015, 11:30:51 AM
When using the knife, it's very uncomfortable as your fingers grip the tools, not the handle (similar problem as with the OHO loop of the 111mm, but along the full length of the tool).

I guess you're right.
From looking at this picture the closed tools really protrude too much.

Say my name.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #92 on: October 25, 2015, 05:05:26 PM
Also, they haven't gotten to the difficult part, like making great scissors!

Many have tried, many have failed. Even the Spirit scissors outperform any other manufacturer including Wenger and even their own Delemont line now. I predict a win for Vic in the scissors category. IME nothing even comes close. :salute:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #93 on: October 25, 2015, 05:50:01 PM

Many have tried, many have failed. Even the Spirit scissors outperform any other manufacturer including Wenger and even their own Delemont line now. I predict a win for Vic in the scissors category. IME nothing even comes close. :salute:

I actually prefer the LM Squirt S4 / Style CS and possibly Micra and some say SOG Crosscut eats zip ties and leather in a class of it´s own, but I never handled one.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: October 25, 2015, 06:53:06 PM

I actually prefer the LM Squirt S4 / Style CS and possibly Micra and some say SOG Crosscut eats zip ties and leather in a class of it´s own, but I never handled one.
My S4 / Micra and SOG CrossCut all can go home when it comes to cutting soft/thin/chewie materials (thin paper/plastic, padded envelopes etc. especially bad are those plasticized bags used for milk powder and the like). Zip ties is of course different as the larger handles make them more comfortable.
Have you tried one of those on something larger (not just zip-ties) where maneuverability and thickness can become an issue? Like cutting open a tin can?
That might shock a few people here, but if I had to choose between a Micra/S4/CrossCut based on scissors, I probably would choose the Böker City tool! I find it quite comfortable at cutting heavier materials :tu:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:54:54 PM by Etherealicer »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: October 25, 2015, 08:09:37 PM
I tried to buy one 1 Swiza D04 = 39 CHF = 36,15 €

But plus shipping 20CHF!!!! = 18,53 CHF (From Switzerland to Spain???, come on men...!!!)  :twak: :twak: :twak:

I refused to purchase it  >:(

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #96 on: October 25, 2015, 08:17:43 PM
Remember, at this stage, they're still building their infrastructure. They don't have an outlet network, and probably are using the "safest" mailing option instead of the cheapest. It's going to take them a while to get settled into the market and iron out the wrinkles in the system. Even though these are guys that have been in the biz for a few years, it's going to take them a while to get everything running like a swiss....... knife  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #97 on: October 25, 2015, 08:22:25 PM
@Mextreme&firiki,
Thank you.

:salute:

I, for one, would like to see nylon scales more readily available.

Victorinoooox? :twak:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #98 on: October 25, 2015, 08:33:23 PM
I tried to buy one 1 Swiza D04 = 39 CHF = 36,15 €

But plus shipping 20CHF!!!! = 18,53 CHF (From Switzerland to Spain???, come on men...!!!)  :twak: :twak: :twak:

I refused to purchase it  >:(

Remember, at this stage, they're still building their infrastructure. They don't have an outlet network, and probably are using the "safest" mailing option instead of the cheapest. It's going to take them a while to get settled into the market and iron out the wrinkles in the system. Even though these are guys that have been in the biz for a few years, it's going to take them a while to get everything running like a swiss....... knife  :whistle:

The quote below is from another thread and it is about ordering a Swiza. This practice is totally, totally inacceptable for me.

OK, so I registered and went to the ordering process (I am weak...   :facepalm: ).
During the whole process it showed free shipping   :D .
Then I was sent to paypal to pay, and about 20 Euros were magically added to my bill...  no thank you  (I m not stupid....  ::) )

With that stealth shipping cost it is not really worth it, unless you are buying several and the shipping stays the same.  >:( >:(

gr Offline firiki

Reply #99 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:16 PM
Quite frankly, the more I read the more I believe Corwyn called it (and nailed it) early on  :-\

Definately not Vic. I imagine Wenger's former CEO was like: "Silly Victorinox, firing me and my brilliant ideas. I'll show them and make a better knife with French-speakers, nicer steels and all the things I think saks need improving upon. We can even shove a white cross on it, use an existing watch maker and we can ride the Swiss coat-tails."

(Image removed from quote.)

Ok, it's a knockoff. It has a very cheap and generic appearance and is not a real swiss army knife.

I'm with you.
No innovation. Just a hipster-ized Victorinox.
Also I agree on cheap looking.
Also I agree that it can't be called a Swiss Army Knife if the Swiss Army never used it  :D

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #100 on: October 25, 2015, 09:03:02 PM

My S4 / Micra and SOG CrossCut all can go home when it comes to cutting soft/thin/chewie materials (thin paper/plastic, padded envelopes etc. especially bad are those plasticized bags used for milk powder and the like). Zip ties is of course different as the larger handles make them more comfortable.
Have you tried one of those on something larger (not just zip-ties) where maneuverability and thickness can become an issue? Like cutting open a tin can?
That might shock a few people here, but if I had to choose between a Micra/S4/CrossCut based on scissors, I probably would choose the Böker City tool! I find it quite comfortable at cutting heavier materials :tu:

You may be right. I tested on Zip ties of differnt size. I´ve used and like the Victorinox scissors for 35+ years so I´m happy with them. However noticed that on zip ties, that are tough since they have plastic with high tensile strenght and slippery surface, they had less bite than some LM scissor based tools and wants to slip out.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #101 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:30 PM
@Mextreme&firiki,
Thank you.

Actually the advances in platstics have been big in the last 15 years and with modern 2 components moulding machines Vic could up their game a lot without adding much cost, but knowing Vic they are more of the "if it aint broke"# philosofy and who could blame them. They are the most succesfull cutlery manufacturer ever.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #102 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:06 PM
@Mextreme&firiki,
Thank you.

Actually the advances in platstics have been big in the last 15 years and with modern 2 components moulding machines Vic could up their game a lot without adding much cost, but knowing Vic they are more of the "if it aint broke"# philosofy and who could blame them. They are the most succesfull cutlery manufacturer ever.

A part of me agrees with that "if it ain't broken" mentality. I have a Soldier 2008 and a Forester, both with two components on the handles, and I love them. The only thing that annoys me is that the black part seems to make poket-carrying these a little uncomfortable at times because of friction. On a side note, that black part seems indestructible so far!

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #103 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:56 PM

You may be right. I tested on Zip ties of differnt size. I´ve used and like the Victorinox scissors for 35+ years so I´m happy with them. However noticed that on zip ties, that are tough since they have plastic with high tensile strenght and slippery surface, they had less bite than some LM scissor based tools and wants to slip out.

I just use a blade most often with zip ties, even plastic strapping for lumber is no problem with a sharp Pioneer or similar. I have used the scissors on some tiny zip ties, but larger than the 58mm size is best. Same for leather, a well sharpened blade works for me. So for zip ties a Swiza would work, it appears to have a decent blade.  :)

That Böker looks pretty cool E!  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #104 on: October 25, 2015, 10:01:27 PM
@Mextreme&firiki,
Thank you.

A part of me agrees with that "if it ain't broken" mentality. I have a Soldier 2008 and a Forester, both with two components on the handles, and I love them. The only thing that annoys me is that the black part seems to make poket-carrying these a little uncomfortable at times because of friction. On a side note, that black part seems indestructible so far!

Yes why fix it! :D

https://www.moma.org/learn/moma_learning/carl-elsener-victorinox-swiss-officers-knife-champion-no-5012-1968

http://www.moma.org/collection/artists/1722?locale=en
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline gregpost

Reply #105 on: October 25, 2015, 10:12:56 PM
Remember, at this stage, they're still building their infrastructure.

Yeah, I'll wait till these hit Amazon prime. I like their website.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:30:07 PM by gregpost »

Offline cdv1962

Reply #106 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:42 AM
I looked over the Swiza website; the knives advertized may be good value.  I would need to get my hands a on SWIZA knife, and do some chores with the knife before I say YEA or NAY. 

But, I withhold any judgement until I test a SWIZA knife.   I will keep my eyes open for the chance to obtain a SWIZA knife.  Then I will report back.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #107 on: October 26, 2015, 08:29:20 AM

I just use a blade most often with zip ties, even plastic strapping for lumber is no problem with a sharp Pioneer or similar. I have used the scissors on some tiny zip ties, but larger than the 58mm size is best. Same for leather, a well sharpened blade works for me. So for zip ties a Swiza would work, it appears to have a decent blade.  :)

That Böker looks pretty cool E!  :tu:

I do the exact opposite. I find it difficult to get a blade under a strapped zip tie in a safe way, It´s easy to cut what is beeing strapped and since they are from high tensile plastic, quite an amount of force is necessary which is difficult to control in a safe ay when that zip tie gives, so I use nippers if I have them, but scissors are second choice.
On the soft material you mention like thin paper/plastic, padded envelopes ,plasticized bags , I find a sharp blade way faster than scissors.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:40:29 AM by Mextreme »

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #108 on: October 26, 2015, 08:40:25 AM
I do the exact opposite. I find it difficult to get a blade under a strapped zip tie in a safe way, It´s easy to cut what is beeing strapped and since they are from high tensile plastic, quite an amount of force is necessary which is difficult to control so I use nippers if I have them, but scissors are second choice.
On the soft material you mention like thin paper/plastic, padded envelopes ,plasticized bags , I find a sharp blade way faster than scissors.

I used to mainly use the heavy duty scissors on a 130mm Wenger for zip ties, but eventually converted to just using a 111mm sak blade. There are a few angles that can work even when the blade can not get underneath it. It often more dangerous and you look a bit crazed, but it is fun and effective.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #109 on: October 26, 2015, 08:56:56 AM
I do the exact opposite. I find it difficult to get a blade under a strapped zip tie in a safe way, It´s easy to cut what is beeing strapped and since they are from high tensile plastic, quite an amount of force is necessary which is difficult to control so I use nippers if I have them, but scissors are second choice.

I used to mainly use the heavy duty scissors on a 130mm Wenger for zip ties, but eventually converted to just using a 111mm sak blade. There are a few angles that can work even when the blade can not get underneath it. It often more dangerous and you look a bit crazed, but it is fun and effective.

If the zip tie is rather small you can bite of the whole square part, where the zip locks, with multitool pliers but on 6mm (1/4") and wider it doesn´t work. I actually can´t see a safe way to cut zip ties other than the minimal 2-3mm (1/8") in a somewhat safe way with a blade.
I cut a lot of 5-10 mm zip ties and the best are nippers, especially the ACT TL-ACT-MG-1400 that has a special notch that protects cables but sharp thin point scissors with good geometry of the shears are fine.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:58:15 AM by Mextreme »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: October 26, 2015, 09:28:40 AM
See the inner workings here

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #111 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:49 AM
Can we confirm the overall length of the Swiza? Is it more comparable with the 91mm, 93mm or 111mm length?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:13 AM
Can we confirm the overall length of the Swiza? Is it more comparable with the 91mm, 93mm or 111mm length?
Its a bit an odd shape to measure but its longest dimension (diagonally) is about 96mm. Corner to corner on one side is about 90mm (measured from the middle of the corner).
measure.jpg
* measure.jpg (Filesize: 112.72 KB)

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #113 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:33 AM
Its a bit an odd shape to measure but its longest dimension (diagonally) is about 96mm. Corner to corner on one side is about 90mm (measured from the middle of the corner).

How is that awl working. Can it drill holes in wood and plastic?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: October 26, 2015, 11:33:09 AM

How is that awl working. Can it drill holes in wood and plastic?

Have patience with all things but first with yourself
- Saint Frances de Sales

:D

I will eventually get to that in my OBC thread

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #115 on: October 26, 2015, 03:10:16 PM
Thanks for reviewing these E! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #116 on: October 26, 2015, 04:59:54 PM
No hook?!

:rant: :rant:

NEXT!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #117 on: October 26, 2015, 06:06:12 PM
So its a plastic scaled pioneer with some backtools... what is the selling feature. 

Seems pointless to me.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline pingu

Reply #118 on: October 26, 2015, 06:11:42 PM
So its a plastic scaled pioneer with some backtools... what is the selling feature. 

Tweezers?  :rofl:

Except I prefer no T&T.  And I like a lanyard ring, so the Swiza is a big fail for me.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: October 26, 2015, 06:47:40 PM

Tweezers?  :rofl:

Except I prefer no T&T.  And I like a lanyard ring, so the Swiza is a big fail for me.
Actually, the tweezers are IMHO better than the ones from Vic/Wenger.

Also, as a usually well informed source just told me, there will be one with a wood saw soonish...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%