Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM OHT owners, what do you think of this tool?

sawman · 52 · 5622

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
LM OHT owners, what do you think of this tool?
on: October 23, 2015, 08:00:35 PM
I was just hoping to hear any details and comments you OHT owners may have. Love it? Hate it? Somewhere inbetween?

Pics welcome but mostly I just want to know if this should stay on my wishlist...

Thanks in advance!
SAW

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: LM OHT owners, what do you think of this tool?
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
Somewhere inbetween, here. Still making up my mind.

Short version ( pun intended :D ), IMO the pliers are comfortable, the rest of the tool is for small tasks. :salute:

OHT and SwissTool.jpg
* OHT and SwissTool.jpg (Filesize: 300.01 KB)
OHT tools fanned.jpg
* OHT tools fanned.jpg (Filesize: 405.31 KB)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:25:57 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline sawman

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:05 PM
Thanks firiki, does it come with a sheath? If so, what kind?
SAW

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:41 PM
The first time I saw a pic of the OHT here I said to myself that this was one Leatherman tool I would never buy, bulky, short knife and saw, no file or scissors ...   ::)

Until Kirky won an OHT in a giveaway here, and started posting pics of it ...  A bit later I saw the OHT in real life for the first time, played with it for about 5 minutes and decided that maybe, just maybe I should give this one a chance, so I took one home with me.  And since then, it has fought its way into my EDC schedule.

Yes the knife and saw are quite short compaired to the size of the tool itself, but they get the job done.  Yes it's a big tool, but for some reason I think it feels quite light for its size.  I really like the springloaded pliers, the phillips works great and has quite some reach for those "hard to get to" screws, the strap cutter works great on straps (duh ... ), but I also use it for opening cardboard boxes.

Long story short, I didn't expect much of the OHT, but it has surprised me every time I used it.  I always carry it in combination with a SAK (usually my Swisschamp),  which makes it an awesome EDC setup in my opinion.

Just my humble opinion, as always  ;).

P.S.  I think it looks awesome in BO version, and those sliding pliers are just ... addictive  :ahhh.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:21 PM
The OHT comes with the Leatherman Molle Sheath (not the same Molle sheath that comes with the MUT, but the smaller "lower quality" one ... ).

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:38 PM
I think TG said it nicely: I didn expect much,but every time I use it,it surprises me. I think I said at he time I was testing it,it reminds me of the PST. Yes,tool load is limited,but you keep finding ways to make it work for you.

Get one,it is well worth having!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:26 PM
The OHT comes with the Leatherman Molle Sheath (not the same Molle sheath that comes with the MUT, but the smaller "lower quality" one ... ).

TG24 beat me to it :salute:

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:57:18 PM
I've grown used to the MP600, so the shorter tools don't bother me much.

I do like what I'm seeing so far, except would rather have a file than a saw :tu:
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:00:20 PM
The other comparison I made,I think,is valid. The Gerber is a AK47, the OHT is an Armalite,be it a M4 or  a M16.

The tool I would miss most would be scissors,but,this is MTo. If you've a SAK with scissors(and a file)...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:12:24 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:11:44 PM
I will be watching/reading this thread as I just picked one of these OHT's up and it should be showing up here soon. 

FWIW - the only real negatives I have heard is what was already said, the size of the MT vs the small blade tools.  :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 09:15:49 PM

us Offline forest77

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 09:38:25 PM
The OHT is my most recent purchase.  I have carried it daily for the past 3 weeks and I love it. I usually carry a medium folder with a MT , so the smaller blade doesn't bother me. At first I was a bit bummed because the only one available at my local store was the silver/black version . But carrying it daily the color has grown on me.
Mind not for rent!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 10:15:27 PM

I am lazy, so I do like that all the tools are on the outside and can be opened easily, even the pliers. Mine was a recent purchase too and have not got to use mine yet but it looks like a solid tool.

There are two things I dislike.
1. Short saw.
2. Only the tip of the Pliers touch and there is like a half mm gap on the needle nose jaws when closed completely. I have no idea why it was designed like that.

There are two things I wished it had.
1. Scissors which I use a lot. Wish they had the gut hook on the serrated blade like the Charge TTi and had scissors instead.
2. Awl which I like to have. Wouldn't mind losing the can opener for an Awl.

I know this is meant for first responders but wished they made a general use OHT for others. There are a lot of instances where you got only one free hand to use a tool.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:28 PM

OHT Jaws that put's me off...  did I get a defect?  :think:

OHTJaws.JPG
* OHTJaws.JPG (Filesize: 76.31 KB)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:27:04 PM

I am lazy, so I do like that all the tools are on the outside and can be opened easily, even the pliers. Mine was a recent purchase too and have not got to use mine yet but it looks like a solid tool.

There are two things I dislike.
1. Short saw.
2. Only the tip of the Pliers touch and there is like a half mm gap on the needle nose jaws when closed completely. I have no idea why it was designed like that.

There are two things I wished it had.
1. Scissors which I use a lot. Wish they had the gut hook on the serrated blade like the Charge TTi and had scissors instead.
2. Awl which I like to have. Wouldn't mind losing the can opener for an Awl.

I know this is meant for first responders but wished they made a general use OHT for others. There are a lot of instances where you got only one free hand to use a tool.

In my opinion, that's the way Leatherman should go, make a couple of "different" versions of their existing tools, just as Victorinox does with their Swisstool and Spirit.  A MUT with a blade exchanger and scissors, a Rebar with scissors, an OHT with a file or scissors ...  I mean, this should be quite easy to do for Leatherman, and I bet people would buy them (I know I would).

P.S.: There's also a 1 or even 2 mm gap on the pliers when closed on mine.

Edit: And when opened, they look exactly like yours  ;).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:28:13 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:28 PM

Like a fool I had to think hard first, then grin and laugh. I got it eventually  :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 10:42:34 PM

Like a fool I had to think hard first, then grin and laugh. I got it eventually  :cheers:

My apologies mate, I think in Dutch and then have to translate in my mind, sometimes this goes well, and sometimes ...  :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 11:37:31 PM
I can't recall seeing any quality issues on these, and most users do seem to take to them quite well. I've not tried them as it's not a tool set that suits me personally, but for those it does suit, it usually ends up with positive feedback, and allegedly the ergonomics are better than a lot of other recent/current Leatherman tools too. I can't remember how it fared in wire cutting test though? I know Cupboard and someone else did some good threads on wire cutting tests, so might be worth doing a forum search on that....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 11:52:42 PM
I had one, I think it is too big for what it offers.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 01:20:22 AM
This was a tool that I wanted to try as well.  I love the sliding pliers especially being spring loaded.  This is a huge win for me, lets also add to that the replaceable wire cutters.  Now truth is I really don't cut all that much wire but having them being replaceable makes sense to me. 

Knife blade is short but IMO a nice shape.  Very usable size and mine gets razor sharp.  I know this tool is meant for a targeted audience but I could do with out the oxygen wrench/strap cutter.  The can opener is a total waste of space IMO.  Why not put an awl like mentioned?  The flat drivers while short do a fine job.  The phillips has nice reach and works like a charm. 

Things I'd change would be ditch the serrated blade for scissors or ditch saw for file or both.  The tool can pinch since the handles nearly touch.  Just need to be aware this can happen and all is good. 

I also got the BO which looks killer.  As mentioned this tools doesn't feel as hefty as say the ST300 or Surge. I'm rather fond of this tool and also pair it with a feature rich SAK like my Swisschamp or Champion.       
IMG_9278.jpg
* IMG_9278.jpg (Filesize: 300.31 KB)
IMG_9235.jpg
* IMG_9235.jpg (Filesize: 321.8 KB)
IMG_9292.jpg
* IMG_9292.jpg (Filesize: 169.57 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 01:43:02 AM
I've always wanted to try the OHT- it's just that for the same price I can get a BO Swisstool which has more or less proven itself to me. I'm just waiting for a sub-USD100 deal for this locally.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 02:01:08 AM

OHT Jaws that put's me off...  did I get a defect?  :think:

Nope, same here too. I can see me cutting off a few millimeters in the future  >:D I don't like that big flat surface they put on the tip there. Plus I think this will improve the jaws' bite.

Please take pity on fool me and explain? :think:

That's a nice way to put it.

For me, the OHT is missing an awl and scissors. Had it at least one of those two I'd be looking at it differently.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 10:00:57 AM
G'Day,

I am a fan too.

It has been my EDC for a couple of months now. I like the feel of the tool in the hand and the pliers is very good. I don't like spring-loaded pliers, but these ones are good. As others have said, there seems to be very little, if any, QC issues with the OHT.

You quickly get used to the shorter tools, and the thicker overall tool-size makes it a good grip when you need to used any of the tools. Maybe a slightly longer blade, but like wanting a scissors it is not a deal breaker. The belt cutter has way more uses that cutting seatbelts... Open sweet wrappers, plastic packets, cardboard the list goes on.

I made a leather pouch for mine, I find the Molle pouches to big on my belt. Combine it with a small SAK / Micra and there is not much that you are missing.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 10:11:02 AM
I understand sliding pliers take up space, since that is not a feature I desired, OHT is too big for what it can offer to me.

us Offline sawman

Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 01:35:00 PM
You folks have me convinced, I DEFINITELY WANT this tool! :drool: :drool:

Again, I don't mind the shorter tools and the spring loaded pliers do not bother me. The more I look at this tool, the more I like it. Therefore, I will be saving towards one of these as one of my next purchases.

I want to thank everyone who contributed, especially those who provided pics :tu:

:cheers:
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 07:48:44 PM

Again, I don't mind the shorter tools and the spring loaded pliers do not bother me. The more I look at this tool, the more I like it. Therefore, I will be saving towards one of these as one of my next purchases.

I want to thank everyone who contributed, especially those who provided pics :tu:

If you need a place to buy it from I know where you can get it for $57.50 shipped.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 09:09:23 PM

Pay off your debt first.  :twak:

us Offline sawman

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 09:12:30 PM

If you need a place to buy it from I know where you can get it for $57.50 shipped.
WOW that sounds great!! :D
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 09:52:59 PM
Sawman, if you like the MP600, the LM OHT is that on steroids. For its size, it is rather light and eats barbed wire like nothing.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 09:55:23 PM
Sawman, if you like the MP600, the LM OHT is that on steroids. For its size, it is rather light and eats barbed wire like nothing.
That's good to know :D
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44