Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock problem. Help please!

us Offline forest77

Powerlock problem. Help please!
on: October 25, 2015, 02:57:36 AM
Hey everyone I am new to the site but not new to knife/multitool/ gun gear. I am a technical ype by prfession and hobby. But im am at my wits end on the powerlock MT. Tool clumping is relly bad on the side of Mt he tool that holds the combo knife blade. I hace tried adding a washer between the c ca p lifter and the blade, I have tried removing the blade and adding washers in place of the cap lifter and moved the cap lifter in the place of the blade. No matter what I doits still a pain to line up the lock. I thought myber its the washers im using. The other side of the tool does clump when I pull the saw out but once I push everything back in the lock engages. I see when I lift the knife blade I have to carefully roll the cap lifter back in just right ( not allowing it to over travel) . Placing the knife blade back in its slot is tricky because the cap lifter overtravels into the handle , and I have to lift it back oout to perfectly alighn it with the knife blade Very carefully so the lock will return to its proper resting position. Whew... that wore me out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  If I cant get this to go away I will t tr ade this tool. I dont want to get rid of it because I love it.
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Re: Powerlock problem. Help please!
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:59:04 AM
By the way its the powerlock 2.0
Mind not for rent!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:03:04 AM
Hi, pics might be helpful to figure this out.
SAW

us Offline forest77

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:19:49 AM
Ok. Gimmie about 30 min to get home.
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:03:18 AM
Here is apic wit the blade and cap lifter perfectly aligned. The lock underneath is perfect.
924201521582.jpg
* 924201521582.jpg (Filesize: 260.76 KB)
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:22 AM
Here is a picture with the blade and cap lifter nor aligned.  The lock underneath is not in its notch.
9242015215826.jpg
* 9242015215826.jpg (Filesize: 115.22 KB)
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:48 AM
Here is a picture of the lock position when the blade and cap lifter in the previous post (not perfectly aligned) . I hope these were helpful.
9242015215845.jpg
* 9242015215845.jpg (Filesize: 253.49 KB)
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:47 PM
I hope I didn't scare you guys away with all my typos. I was typing while on the train.:-)
Mind not for rent!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 03:14:11 PM
I'm a little confused  :think:

If the handle is full of tools, or has large enough diameter washers, and the correct size (original) pivot, there should be no misalignment issues, as everything holds itself square. As to the tool clumping, this is pretty standard, and most tool loadouts will need this to get access to certain tools.

The only other thing I can think of, is that the pivot pin isn't engaded in the opposing side of the handle. Try depressing the lock, and jiggling everything so the tip of the pivot pin seats in the hole at the other side. If it won't go, you might have got too many washers (or the washers may be too thick)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 03:31:39 PM
The problem is these tools have to be aligned properly for the lock to engage. I'm not seeing any issue with the tool itself.

With the Powerlock, you just have to make sure these things line up  ;)
SAW

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 04:04:14 PM
This is the piano style one right?  Where each tool has its own lock?  Is the blade and opener sharing one of the locking bars and that causing the troubles?

Ver 1 had the single lock bar, ver 2 had the separate, and 3 went back to single lock bar.  I wonder if it was for reasons like this.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline forest77

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 05:58:19 PM
It has the single lock bar. Bought n 1 yr. Ago. 2.0 version.
Mind not for rent!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 07:28:43 PM
Ok ive got a version like that but i cant for the life of me figure out why yours is behaving like that.  I wonder if its possible to rearrage the tools to helo that.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 07:55:21 PM
Mine is the same way.  I have the worst trouble trying to get the scissors to lock/unlock properly and also have issues with terrible tool clumping at the main blade and the file.  I think it's is just poor design and execution.  I sold my PowerAssist because of similar issues.  Decided to give SOG another shot with a PowerLock.  I think SOG needs to raise their game.  Their tools have so much going for them and still seem to fall short of other makers due to what seems like a simple lack of effort/attention to detail. 

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:51 PM

Decided to give SOG another shot with a PowerLock.  I think SOG needs to raise their game.  Their tools have so much going for them and still seem to fall short of other makers due to what seems like a simple lack of effort/attention to detail.

What I would like from sog is to put their tools on the powerlock on the outside. I really want to like the powerlock but it is such a hassle to get to the inside tools and the handle covers are so flimsy....I have a couple sog tools, the Switchplier and Powerduo, and love them both. It's their flagship tool that I really want but can't seem to bond with. :shrug: they could be a great tool company, but they need refinement. Ok I'm done ranting
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline forest77

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 08:58:42 PM
I agree. I will trade this tool for something else if I can't figure it out. Im gonna rearange the bits and see if it helps.
Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 11:34:54 PM
Ok. Heres what I tried. I swapped locations of the combo blade and the V-cutter, and it seems to be better.less clumping and easer to alaign the tools if it does clump. Not perfect, but better.

Thanks to everyone for there advice and rants. I will stop wineing now.
Mind not for rent!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 12:39:37 AM
If you can't ask for tool help here where else can you go? :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sawman

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 12:42:02 AM
I'm glad you found a solution to this. I hope you'll continue to get along with your Powerlock. It's a great tool :tu:
SAW

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:33 AM
Mine is the same way.  I have the worst trouble trying to get the scissors to lock/unlock properly ...

Mine, too.

Further analysis shows that when the knife blade is retracted there is a tendency for it to be folded too deeply into the handle.  In that position, the notch in the blade is misaligned and prevents the lock bar from engaging the notches in any of the other tools in the same handle.

One fix, which I have not applied yet, is to glue a small bit inside the handle, directly beneath the knife blade.  That bit should act as a "stop" and prevent the knife from folding too far into the handle.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 01:07:33 AM
Call it a little kantankerous but I just fidget with mine to get things lined up before closing or selecting tools. I'm used to this and don't consider it in any way a defect. I love my Powerlock.
SAW

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 01:24:20 AM

One fix, which I have not applied yet, is to glue a small bit inside the handle, directly beneath the knife blade.  That bit should act as a "stop" and prevent the knife from folding too far into the handle.

A different fix would be to use a Dremel type rotary tool and widen the proper notch on the knife (and other tools) which have a tendency to close too deeply into the handle.  A wider notch will permit the lock to engage properly.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:26 AM
Good tips but in my eyes this is something that could (and should) easily be corrected in production.  I've never thought myself to be a very picky person but maybe I am....  Lots of praise out there for the Powerlock but I don't see this issue complained about too often. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 05:50:46 AM
I think this older thread mentions that same problem (one I encountered myself)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36594.html

I would like to point out that the Powerlock was my first full-size name-brand MT, and I got rid of it fast because other than the very nice compound leverage pliers, I didn't like a single other thing about it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%