Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight options

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Flashlight options
Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 02:47:04 PM
... ... not to mention I have a ton of AA stuff already.

But you haven't got a LD11 :poke: Get one and let us mortals know what you think of it, what say you? :poke:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 05:04:13 PM
I'm with N_N_R on this one. You can get the Lumintop Tool for very little and it is a great light. Best knurling ever!!!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 05:57:29 PM
I'm with N_N_R on this one. You can get the Lumintop Tool for very little and it is a great light. Best knurling ever!!!

:tu:

us Online HarleyXJGuy

Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 06:49:33 PM

But you haven't got a LD11 :poke: Get one and let us mortals know what you think of it, what say you? :poke:

What I was trying to say is having my flashlight also be AA is good. Less battery types to carry/stock.

us Online HarleyXJGuy

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 06:51:13 PM
What is the difference between the LD 11 and 12?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 07:02:09 PM

:rofl:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 07:05:24 PM

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 07:29:36 PM
Not sure where to put this but figured a flashlight is a tool so here it is.

Ok so I am in the market for a small pocket light that is a clicky. Can be tail or on the body somewhere it don't matter.

Would like multiple modes and some good brightness for a small light.

Trying to stay away from a 123 battery.

This is something I plan to EDC so smaller over brighter is better.

Any ideas?

Umm ... the flashlight forum    ;)   :poke:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #38 on: October 29, 2015, 07:30:29 PM
Nitecore Tiny Monster 3800 Lumens .. Will blind you .. hahahaha  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

* Tiny Monster.jpg (Filesize: 9.25 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: October 29, 2015, 09:54:07 PM

Looks like you have to use the tail switch cycle through the modes on the 11. You have a separate switch on the 12 which is why I bought it. Set it where you want it.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gr Offline firiki

Reply #40 on: October 30, 2015, 12:02:54 AM

What I was trying to say is having my flashlight also be AA is good. Less battery types to carry/stock.

:facepalm: Sorry, my bad! AA is a very handy size, especially with these newer LEDs.

There are a couple of important differences between LD11 and LD12.

The LD11 is more pocketable due to lack of side switch, if it weren't for that I wouldn't really mind carrying the LD12 in my pocket. Also, a little smaller in size overall. It comes with a decent, helpful clip. The LD12's is insanely strong and it's bound to tear up the fabric you're using it on -it was probably just meant to provide better grip and anti-roll function.

Brightness: The LD11 has more than double the LD12's intensity for slightly worse but still outstanding runtimes for AA size. Brightness levels are spaced a little differently, LD11's total output is more than double the LD12's. The LD12 is already great for both outdoors and indoors, the LD11 should be a pocket rocket. My only fear is that Low on LD11 might be a little too much, I wouldn't know. All I know is I want one. Bad. Both lights have a neutral white tint which I think is a plus.

SPECS;

LD11

Size:
Length: 3.9” (99mm)
Width: 0.8” (21.5mm)

Weight: 1.9 oz. (53g) weight excluding battery

Batteries: One 14500 rechargeable Li-ion battery or one AA (Ni-MH or Alkaline) battery

LD12

Size:
Length: 4.1″ (105mm)
Diameter: 0.85″ (21.5mm)

Weight: 1.9 oz. (54g) weight excluding batteries and holster

Batteries: One  AA battery

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/ld11-fenix-flashlight/

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/ld12-fenix-flashlight/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:14:11 AM by firiki »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #41 on: October 30, 2015, 12:23:55 AM
Run a forum search on "Zebralight Learning Curve" for a fuller explanation of the problems  ;) :P

I did. Very enlightening and highly amusing. Thanks, I needed a good laugh, I swear :rofl:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:44 AM

:facepalm: Sorry, my bad! AA is a very handy size, especially with these newer LEDs.

There are a couple of important differences between LD11 and LD12.

The LD11 is more pocketable due to lack of side switch, if it weren't for that I wouldn't really mind carrying the LD12 in my pocket. Also, a little smaller in size overall. It comes with a decent, helpful clip. The LD12's is insanely strong and it's bound to tear up the fabric you're using it on -it was probably just meant to provide better grip and anti-roll function.

Brightness: The LD11 has more than double the LD12's intensity for slightly worse but still outstanding runtimes for AA size. Brightness levels are spaced a little differently, LD11's total output is more than double the LD12's. The LD12 is already great for both outdoors and indoors, the LD11 should be a pocket rocket. My only fear is that Low on LD11 might be a little too much, I wouldn't know. All I know is I want one. Bad. Both lights have a neutral white tint which I think is a plus.

SPECS;

LD11

Size:
Length: 3.9” (99mm)
Width: 0.8” (21.5mm)

Weight: 1.9 oz. (53g) weight excluding battery

Batteries: One 14500 rechargeable Li-ion battery or one AA (Ni-MH or Alkaline) battery

LD12

Size:
Length: 4.1″ (105mm)
Diameter: 0.85″ (21.5mm)

Weight: 1.9 oz. (54g) weight excluding batteries and holster

Batteries: One  AA battery

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/ld11-fenix-flashlight/

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/ld12-fenix-flashlight/

Thank you Firiki for completing that comparison. I was suffering from a health thing and had to wrap it up, neglecting the other areas.  :salute: I will say that in a situation where light discipline is important, the LD 12 allows you to set it on low and leave it there. No flashing through settings every time you turn it on. My uses includes using it on medium through the day around the house but at bedtime, I set it on turbo to investigate/engage things that go bump in the night without having to cycle through settings. I was so used to Gerber Ultra with one setting that I had to find a new one that fit my needs. Besides, all that clicking would hurt my thumb.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Online HarleyXJGuy

Reply #43 on: October 30, 2015, 02:18:07 AM

us Online HarleyXJGuy

Reply #44 on: October 30, 2015, 02:19:03 AM
Not sure where to put this but figured a flashlight is a tool so here it is.

Ok so I am in the market for a small pocket light that is a clicky. Can be tail or on the body somewhere it don't matter.

Would like multiple modes and some good brightness for a small light.

Trying to stay away from a 123 battery.

This is something I plan to EDC so smaller over brighter is better.

Any ideas?

Umm ... the flashlight forum    ;)   :poke:

Less smart mouth and more selling me that Farmer you beat me too.

us Online HarleyXJGuy

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2015, 02:24:21 AM
Where is the best place to buy Fenix lights?

They are giving a free 14500 battery with the purchase of a LD 11 at the Fenix store right now. Every bought from Fenix directly?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #46 on: October 30, 2015, 02:35:48 AM
It's maybe not the best place, but I buy all my flashlights at a place fairly near to my home, Grand Prairie Knives...

http://www.gpknives.com

Their prices seem pretty darn reasonable.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: October 30, 2015, 02:59:18 AM

They are giving a free 14500 battery with the purchase of a LD 11 at the Fenix store right now. Every bought from Fenix directly?

No I got my 2 off Amazon but they seem like a stand up company...deals and discounts abound on the site.  Sign up on their website to get deals in your inbox.

My LD12's shipped with extra o rings and battery.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:00:47 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #48 on: October 30, 2015, 03:06:12 AM
I've just said this elsewhere but have a good look at the Eagletac D25A Clicky.  By far and away my favourite light: small enough, bright enough, easy UI, choice of Cool or Neutral LEDs, good level choices, well made etc etc.  If I could only keep one light then it would be this one.

+1 on EagleTac lights.  They're very solidly made, and have nice interfaces.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #49 on: October 30, 2015, 10:42:05 AM
I've recently upgraded my flashlight to a side-button model (Nitecore MT20A).  Nice flashlight, great throw, red mode but the side-button UI concept is a pain.  Hard to feel and see in the dark, hey isn't that exactly when we need our flashlights, impossible with a gloved hand.  Used to find twisty a pain but thinking of returning.

I like what I read hear about the Fenix LD02/LD09.  Keep it simple.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:44:14 AM by pingu »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #50 on: October 30, 2015, 11:35:24 AM
I've recently upgraded my flashlight to a side-button model (Nitecore MT20A).  Nice flashlight, great throw, red mode but the side-button UI concept is a pain.  Hard to feel and see in the dark, hey isn't that exactly when we need our flashlights, impossible with a gloved hand.  Used to find twisty a pain but thinking of returning.

I like what I read hear about the Fenix LD02/LD09.  Keep it simple.

+1 on keep it simple. The side switch on flashlights can have its merits provided a dependable construction and simple UI. I use the pocket clip as a guide on mine. Multi-mode twisties are a no-no for me  :ahhh

I love the LD09, I was thinking of getting a spare and then I spotted the LD11.  :cry:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #51 on: October 30, 2015, 11:38:10 AM

Sorry, I can't help you with that, I try to buy locally.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you get one :tu:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:27 AM
I was so used to Gerber Ultra with one setting that I had to find a new one that fit my needs.

:salute: Boy, that's a huge leap, from a Gerber Ultra to the LD12!

One additional thing I like about LD12's memory mode is that it "remembers" the last setting used even if you remove the battery cell. Coupled with the physical switch (not electronic) this probably means no parasitic drain. I hate parasitic drain.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2015, 01:29:19 PM
I was so used to Gerber Ultra with one setting that I had to find a new one that fit my needs.

:salute: Boy, that's a huge leap, from a Gerber Ultra to the LD12!

One additional thing I like about LD12's memory mode is that it "remembers" the last setting used even if you remove the battery cell. Coupled with the physical switch (not electronic) this probably means no parasitic drain. I hate parasitic drain.

It was. Did a ton of research because I knew nothing about the current lights. The predominate complaint on reviews (by new users) was having to click through the levels or the order of those levels. The LD12's separate intensity switch eliminated all that. Wasn't the fanciest or the brightest but was the perfect choice for me.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

gr Offline firiki

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:00 PM
Has the disco modes hidden, too :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #55 on: October 30, 2015, 02:00:52 PM
A nice single AA battery torch have been using and have been really impressed with is the SOG Dark Energy DE-03. Light, 120 lumens, four modes. Starts at high and works it way down then on to strobe. Built like a tank. What I really like about it is that no matter what setting you was using when it is shut off, it always starts at high.
Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:16 PM
Lots of folks seem very happy with their Thrunite T10 lights.  If I didn't have my Eagletac D25A Clicky I'd have definitely gotten one myself.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #57 on: October 30, 2015, 02:56:39 PM
Lots of folks seem very happy with their Thrunite T10 lights. 

I like my T10.  As simple as 3 modes can be and about as compact as 1xAA can be.  A choice of twist or click.  Though I don't use pocket clip carry the screw on clip is secure.  I notice the current model now has a clip-on pocket clip.  Anybody tried it?

One area where the T10 disappoints (me) is the brightness.  I am unconvinced 1.5V is delivering 169 lumens, though that is the specification.  The working voltage is 0.9-3V and some reviews report a 14450 is brighter  >:D.  Well yes but is 3V brighter than 1.5V?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:57:43 PM by pingu »

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #58 on: October 30, 2015, 04:51:08 PM
Lots of folks seem very happy with their Thrunite T10 lights. 

I like my T10.  As simple as 3 modes can be and about as compact as 1xAA can be.  A choice of twist or click.  Though I don't use pocket clip carry the screw on clip is secure.  I notice the current model now has a clip-on pocket clip.  Anybody tried it?

One area where the T10 disappoints (me) is the brightness.  I am unconvinced 1.5V is delivering 169 lumens, though that is the specification.  The working voltage is 0.9-3V and some reviews report a 14450 is brighter  >:D.  Well yes but is 3V brighter than 1.5V?

I EDC (among others) the T10 (original twisty - cool white), and T10 2014 Edition (Neutral), and love them both.  Both are running on 14500 EagleTac lithium ion batteries, and yes -  they are considerably brighter running on those.  The only down-side, is that they run a lot hotter, so they can only be used (at their highest setting) for limited periods, before becoming extremely hot.  But, the additional output is worth it.

Left to Right: Thrunite T10 cool, T10 2014 Edition (neutral), Nitecore EA11, EagleTac P20C2 Mk II, Solarforce L2P with Sportac triple Nichia 219 2-mode drop-in, and Armytek Dobermann XP-L.
Bottom: Nitecore HC50 Headlamp (carried in bag).

I've just replaced the Nitecore EA11 with a Zebralight SC62W, which is incredible, for its size, and has a beautiful, neutral tint.

Here is the SC62w, pictured in between the P20C2 and the L2P (for size comparison).  If you could bring yourself to spending the extra money and entertain the idea of using a 18650 battery, you would be favorably impressed with this compact light.  It's just incredible. Low, Medium, High, and other (strobe, S.O.S., beacon).  The interface is very simple, but incredibly effective.

By default, clicking on goes straight to high, BUT:
Press and holding the switch goes straight to low, which can also be programmed to be moonlight (there are two alternate low settings), and can last for literally months, at this setting. All of the modes are fully and easily programmable.

Double clicking the switch, jumps to medium.

Triple clicking jumps to strobe (or whatever you have programmed).

Quadruple clicking tests the battery.  The light blinks for each 25% of charge on the battery.  Four blinks is the highest charge.  Very handy.

Essentially, you can really customize the user interface to do what you need it to do, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it, either.  I think their interface is genius.  Also, it has PID, rather than a timed step-down.  I have no idea what PID stands for, but that means it's thermally regulated;   so, instead of immediately dropping down to a lower mode after a few minutes, it only does so, gradually, and only as needed, based on the heat of the light.  I wish all regulated lights were designed this way. From what I've read in other forums, Zebralight has superb U.S.-based customer service, too.

Click below, for a YouTube video, demonstrating the light, in use, outdoors:
https://youtu.be/QJGB23ij_9o

Click below, to see comparative beam shots between the T10 cool white, and the T10 Neutral, taken in and outdoors.  The output is impressive, for such a small and inexpensive light, using the 14500 battery.

http://www.edcforums.com/threads/what-is-your-current-edc-flashlight-part-three.119042/page-96#post-2280166
(Please see Post # 1915)

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:27:56 PM by David Quevedo »

gb Offline pingu

Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 07:01:41 PM
 :tu:thanks for the T10 14500 info.

Returning to the OPs Q,  I completely forgot my normal 1xAA EDC is the Thrunite Archer 1A V2 CW running 1xAA.  I like it enough to carry it most days.  End clicky with a side button UI but its a slightly larger button than on most Fenix or Nightcores.  Its flat enough to stick a plastic button on.  Just this moment trying a cable tie in the clip groove with the head just to the left of the button, maybe to the right for lefties  :D  Working well though it might snag.

Something I really like is that there is no SOS and the strobe is not in the normal sequence but is a long side-button press from any mode.

The Thrunite website lists 1A V2 CW as "new" and 14550 capable  >:D  No idea if my 6 month old version is "new" or not.  Have emailed Thrunite.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%