Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Musings on the PPP, and SOG Warranty

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Musings on the PPP, and SOG Warranty
on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:02 PM
So I recently aquired an old Pocket Power Plier, and other than having a dull blade, chipped pliers jaws, and dull and scratched handles, its perfect. I love it! I think this may replace my Rebar in my EDC. I dont use my MT blades  often (only as backups), and I really like the file/flathead combo, and the awl is stupid sharp.plus its thinner than my Rebar, and more fun to play with!

I pocket carry everything, so to make it work, I took a lanyard ring from the plierless BO powerlock the PPP came with, and dangle it from the pocket with the "loose" arm riding against the pocket seam, gears down (for now). It is very comfortable, but only time will tell if they shred my pockets or not.

In other news, SOGs warranty department. Wow. Just wow. Its fantastic. I emailed them about purchasing a plier head for the powerlock I hadnt yet received, and they sent me one free, no hesitation! Holy cow! Then I called, as the PPP I recieved had a broken plier head, and they went ahead and sent me one too, and some handle covers for the Powerlock! Holy Guacamole! I knew that SOGs warranty service was good, but thays the best service ive ever heard of! Im truly blown away, and if the PPP plays nice with my pants I may have to come over to the Dark Side from Leatherman just because of the warranty service...

So tell me. Why do you like SOG?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:07:46 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline gregpost

Re: Musings on the PPP, and SOG Warranty
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:45:52 PM
The pocket plier I have has one of the worst files I've ever seen on a multitool. I'm wondering if it's possibly a bad file from the factory because the teeth on the file are very superficial, basically smooth to the touch.

I like some things about SOG pliers but the inside tools feel like an afterthought.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:04:32 PM
I'm a big fan of the Paratool and the PPP. The Powerlock is good,but too big for my hands.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:36:15 PM
Yeah the file is pretty weak, but the Pliers and wire cutting ability is outstanding
The PPP is nice and light/compact as well

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:04:20 AM
Why do I like SOG, well they have some of the best customer support, best wire cutters, great folders and there tools and blades just look bad ass. And they tend be considered as one of the under dogs in the multi tool world, which makes me like them that much more.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:12:03 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:21:36 AM
First off :hatsoff: to sog for giving you a story to tell. I am still "investigating" their tools. I have the new switchplier and powerduo. I love them both (even tho the powerduo gets a lot of flak) The only two tools I want from sog is the powerlock and crosscut. The crosscut will be an easy buy. But the powerlock I have trouble pulling the trigger on (mostly because of all inside tools) The main thing I like about sog is being able to swap tools without voiding warranty and the compound leverage really does work wonders. Maybe one day I'll invest in the ppp as well.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 12:42:01 AM
Ive got to agree, the file is not as good as say, my Rebar's, but it's far from bad, it's just not as aggressive as many other companies offer.

I really feel like I'm not going to like the powerlock as much, mostly because I cant get the darn thing to lockup!

The compound leverage has already come in handy, and the PPP handled bolts none of my other pliers, dedicated or otherwise, could handle. SOG really needs a blunt nose plier option

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:30 AM
There seems to be a bit of variation in SOG's files.  The one on my Switchplier 2 is poor, but not completely useless; whereas the one on my Pocket Power Plier was rubbish.  Just too lightly cut to be any use at all.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:59:59 AM
Even though I missed the West Marine Sale, I'm still considering the PPP. Would you guys say it's still a good value at ~$35?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:39:37 AM
Even though I missed the West Marine Sale, I'm still considering the PPP. Would you guys say it's still a good value at ~$35?
New, its not bad, ive certainly seen them go for much more. If you can swallow getting one used, there are better deals out there. I got mine in useable condition on ebay for about $20, and it came with most of a Powerlock (no pliers, or handlecovers).

If you choose to go the ebay route, search for "sog multi tool" and look for a PPP without the name of the tool in the listing. These tools always go for much less than ones labeled correctly. Listings with only one or two grainy pictures go for even less. Best identifiers for the PPP are the exposed gears, and no locks. Try not to confuse it with its big brother, the Power Plier which looks very similar, but has a larger bolt gripping area, and the tool blades appear "short" conpared to the rest of the tool.

This method actually applies to most of the multitools ive seen, except the original PST,as it is usually stamped "Leatherman Tool" and SAKs as there are too many SAK collectors I think. It just takes learning how to identify a tool from others that look similar, and learning and avoiding counterfeits/fakes.

Man, that post really took on a life of its own :shrug:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 03:38:47 AM
New, its not bad, ive certainly seen them go for much more. If you can swallow getting one used, there are better deals out there. I got mine in useable condition on ebay for about $20, and it came with most of a Powerlock (no pliers, or handlecovers).

If you choose to go the ebay route, search for "sog multi tool" and look for a PPP without the name of the tool in the listing. These tools always go for much less than ones labeled correctly. Listings with only one or two grainy pictures go for even less. Best identifiers for the PPP are the exposed gears, and no locks. Try not to confuse it with its big brother, the Power Plier which looks very similar, but has a larger bolt gripping area, and the tool blades appear "short" conpared to the rest of the tool.

This method actually applies to most of the multitools ive seen, except the original PST,as it is usually stamped "Leatherman Tool" and SAKs as there are too many SAK collectors I think. It just takes learning how to identify a tool from others that look similar, and learning and avoiding counterfeits/fakes.

Man, that post really took on a life of its own :shrug:

The info dump is much appreciated.

I'm not opposed to buying used; I probably have at least as many used MTs in my scant collection as ones I got new. But I'm also the kind of person who requires a very good price on used tools. The second another customer opened the packaging and touched the item, its value went down a lot more to me than ebay sellers seem to want to offload them for most of the time. And if there's any noticeable wear, I'm not likely to pay over 50% of retail. Unless it's a discontinued tool you can't buy new first hand anymore, then I factor that in.
It wouldn't kill me to pay $35 for a new PPP, but I just haven't handled one and don't know much about it. My only SOG MT is a Crossgrip which is great quality (aside from the horrendous phillips driver), so I guess what I'm asking is what's the quality like compared to other $35 tools like the LM Wingman and such?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 11:15:52 AM
They are just as good.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 11:15:20 PM
Well in that case, IMO...
Is it better than a Rev?
Yes.
Is it better than a Wingman?
Yep.
Is it better than a Sidekick?
Yep
Is it better than a Rebar?
not really, but they are usually much more expensive, and the PPP is slimmer
Is it better than an MP400?
Probably. Never had one, but if is truly just a smaller MP600 with a slightly smaller tool loadout, then this is a definite yes.
Is it better than a PST?
Only handled one, but PPP is more comfortable, and has better pliers, but is wider, and inside tools are not as good
Is it better than a Paratool?
Yep.

That was kind of fun. I need to make more lists   :rofl:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:36 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably have to bite on a PPP come 2016, it sounds good  :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 08:55:38 AM
I really dig the polish level of SOG multi, very smooth, not a single sharp edge of corner(Leatherman!) , very shiny but doesn't leave finger prints. (Victorinox!). Gerber MT is fully bead lasted, which I can not stand.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:57:52 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 09:05:27 AM
I been using my P³ for two weeks, I have nothing to complain about, powerful for its weight, slim, custom load out, fun to play with.

But watch out for gear of madness.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:08:12 AM by Kampfer »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:45 AM
I been using my P³ for two weeks, I have nothing to complain about, powerful for its weight, slim, custom load out, fun to play with.

That's why some prefer the Paladin PT-510 chassis (a SOG PPP with gear covers, something SOG never sold under their own brand).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 10:51:18 AM
Well in that case, IMO...
Is it better than a Rev?
Yes.
Is it better than a Wingman?
Yep.
Is it better than a Sidekick?
Yep
Is it better than a Rebar?
not really, but they are usually much more expensive, and the PPP is slimmer
Is it better than an MP400?
Probably. Never had one, but if is truly just a smaller MP600 with a slightly smaller tool loadout, then this is a definite yes.
Is it better than a PST?
Only handled one, but PPP is more comfortable, and has better pliers, but is wider, and inside tools are not as good
Is it better than a Paratool?
Yep.

That was kind of fun. I need to make more lists   :rofl:

Interesting comparisons  :)

I'd agree on the Wingman and Sidekick (never held a Rev, but on paper I would agree)

Rebar: PPP wins on pliers and knives, Rebar wins on drivers. As to ergonomics, chosing between a PPP and a Rebar is like chosing whether you want a stone in your left shoe or your right shoe....

MP400: I consider the MP400 and MP450 better tools in nearly every respect. The PPP only wins out if you need the compound leverage and can accommodate the handle splay.

PST & PST II is more comfortable in driver mode, and compatibility with the tool adaptor is a strong point. Pliers comfort is on a par depending what you are gripping/cutting. It mainly comes down to compound leverage and handle splay

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 06:02:39 PM

That's why some prefer the Paladin PT-510 chassis (a SOG PPP with gear covers, something SOG never sold under their own brand).
They are hard to track down.  :-[
For now, to overcome gear of madness, I use it with handles open at 90*, pliers head pointing outward.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:06:09 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 07:23:37 PM

They are hard to track down.  :-[
For now, to overcome gear of madness, I use it with handles open at 90*, pliers head pointing outward.
(Image removed from quote.)
That's a great idea kampfer! I'm going to try that the next time I use my PPP

us Offline gregpost

Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 07:58:10 AM
 I don't think it's better than a Wingman.

id Offline titohendrata

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 09:11:45 AM
once I ever have a MiniTool, MP400, Wave, SideClip, and Wingman. I sold that all, only keep my Pocket Power Plier ... not only for functional reason, but because Pocket Power Plier looks cool and brave to me  :salute: :salute: :salute:
indonesianblades #0084704015 jerzeedevil #20174
Leatherman OHT, FKMD-SOG PPP, Wenger Soldier 95, and ... some Balisongs LOL

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69