Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Fielder, my initial impressions

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
SOG Fielder, my initial impressions
on: November 10, 2015, 12:03:46 AM
As stated earlier, I picked up several of these from Walmart at a killer price. Anyhow, I haven't been this thrilled about a folder in a long time.

It first caught my eye the other day while passing the sporting good's area in Walmart. I was actually first drawn to the Micron which is is packaged with, as I have also been in the market for a 1.5" model for my keyring. I glanced over its accompanying Fielder and thought "That's a liner lock, it couldn't be very good", then I went on about my shopping empty-handed.

It wasn't until the next day I came back on a mission to give it a 'try'. So I headed back to the sporting goods section and proceeded to peruse over the various sets - carefully scanning for the best blade grinds mostly, until I settled on some good ones.

Upon breaking one out of the package and first handling - my initial impression was "What a solid knife!". It actually offered smooth and solid action both opening and closing, and I also fell in love with the digital urban camo ABS plastic handle inserts (also offered in G10 and wood).

I immediately ran both blades - the Fielder and the Micron - over my diamond stone and put a satisfactory edge on each. NOW we're in business!

Another thing I like about the Fielder is the tip-down pocket clip, which I prefer (and set up my Kershaw Cryo2 to conform to as well). I also dig the chrome-ish finish of the handle bolsters and the grip is fantastic.

As for the Micron, for a 1.5" blade, it's pretty wicked. It's now sharp, and on my keyring ready for any small jobs that arise. I'm tickled about this one too. TWO fine knives for under twenty bucks - just.... WOW :D

The blade steel is somewhat equivalent to a 420 on the Fielder and is 420 on the Micron. Not the best but quite adequate if you don't mind touching up your edge often - and I don't mind that ;)

So, Yes, I highly recommend this set to anyone who wants a good solid folder :2tu:
SOG 1.JPG
* SOG 1.JPG (Filesize: 362.94 KB)
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: SOG Fielder, my initial impressions
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:08:31 AM
Thanks for the review and first impressions.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 12:16:03 AM
No taking away from my patriotism, but I can't help but love some of these chinese-made products these days. When they're made as well as the Kershaws, some of the Bucks and now the SOG's, I just can't help but buy them. Especially for the kind of prices when money is so tight and now I can afford to own something NICE.

I digress, and I REALLY don't want this to turn into an "American-made vs..." thread, but we have to make the acknowledgement at some point...
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:58 AM
No taking away from my patriotism, but I can't help but love some of these chinese-made products these days. When they're made as well as the Kershaws, some of the Bucks and now the SOG's, I just can't help but buy them. Especially for the kind of prices when money is so tight and now I can afford to own something NICE.

I digress, and I REALLY don't want this to turn into an "American-made vs..." thread, but we have to make the acknowledgement at some point...

Hey i'm all for American Made knives, but there is no denying China, Japan, and Taiwan can made some incredible blades. This is when they are being run by a quality company like SOG, Spyderco, or Kershaw.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:20:48 AM

Hey i'm all for American Made knives, but there is no denying China, Japan, and Taiwan can made some incredible blades. This is when they are being run by a quality company like SOG, Spyderco, or Kershaw.
That's exactly my thoughts too, cap'n :D :cheers:
SAW

us Offline BASguy

Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 06:15:36 PM

I REALLY don't want this to turn into an "American-made vs..." thread, but we have to make the acknowledgement at some point...
Uhhhh why?

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69