Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walmart knife $3.87 kind of impressed.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Walmart knife $3.87 kind of impressed.
Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 04:05:14 PM
Decent cheapos are fewer and farther between these days.  That doesn't mean they don't exist,  it just means they are that much better when you do find them.

Def

I don't condone all the waste that is to to produce and sell all that sea of cheapo junk that's around so I've learned to spot 'em and avoid 'em like the plague  :ahhh

I'd much rather trash a decent, albeit cheap, knife or tool than go hunting on bargains; I'm too old and too poor for that kind of sport.

Having been young and less wise at some point in my life (legend has it), I admit I owe to cheapos a couple of lessons learned, like quality doesn't have to cost a fortune and if it does the reason for this must be more than obvious (no such thing as obvious IMO); in a few words cheapos taught me to appreciate quality. Still I hate them 'cause usually they're dangerous and I see them as garbage, air and water pollution, wasted ressources and wasted money.

Am I weird?

:drink:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:22 PM
    Picked these up today! Not bad for under $4.00! The black one on the rear was 9.89, but it came with a crappy flashlight!  :-\

image hosting 12mb

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

us Offline Pacu

Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 02:40:08 AM
I bought one tonight to check it out.

I was worried that the blade would slip on lock up it being so cheap but it is solidly locked. Handles feel pretty good. Not sure what steel it is but im gonna torture test it just for fun and post here. Might buy 2 more just in case it surprises me and is decent for the money.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 02:46:01 AM
Envelope with junk mail enclosed..sliced well.

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 02:48:22 AM
It's a nice knife. I gave one away as a gift to a friend tonight. He was crazy about it :D
SAW

gr Offline firiki

Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 11:10:25 AM

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
    Picked these up today! Not bad for under $4.00! The black one on the rear was 9.89, but it came with a crappy flashlight!  :-\

image hosting 12mb
Was your camo one hard to open and close. Mine was very hard, just wondering if it was worth trying to exchange

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 12:24:29 PM
Still I hate them 'cause usually they're dangerous and I see them as garbage, air and water pollution, wasted ressources and wasted money.

Am I weird?

No idea, but you do have a point.

Socially, the combined value of members' collections could build a hospital.....or get a small country out of debt  :D :P

Environmentally, you could probably use up 2 or 3 good knives in a lifetime, maybe, and the rest is just waste.  All the mining, manufacturing, transport and commerce to bring us these products....

I do suffer from collectors guilt, and funny enough my recent Enlan purchases only worsened that.

us Offline sawman

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 12:42:04 PM
Still I hate them 'cause usually they're dangerous and I see them as garbage, air and water pollution, wasted ressources and wasted money.

Am I weird?

No idea, but you do have a point.

Socially, the combined value of members' collections could build a hospital.....or get a small country out of debt  :D :P

Environmentally, you could probably use up 2 or 3 good knives in a lifetime, maybe, and the rest is just waste.  All the mining, manufacturing, transport and commerce to bring us these products....

I do suffer from collectors guilt, and funny enough my recent Enlan purchases only worsened that.
I'm thinking that it's perfectly Ok to collect things be it knives, stamps, etc. I don't see it as a waste, if it brings you enjoyment. Is Chako's collection a "waste"? ABSOLUTELY  NOT! I enjoy his collection and am glad he has every single piece that he does. He bought and paid for it and it is HIS to enjoy.

I digress...

Sorry for the short rant but I just don't feel it's a "waste" to collect things...
SAW

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 01:19:43 PM
That's why I said "I feel".....IMHO

I love Chako's collection, I want it to have my babies.

Love my collection just as much.

But I do know that I'm part of the 1%, and in this age of information it's difficult to keep your head in the sand.....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:20:57 PM by Gerhard Gerber »

us Offline sawman

Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 01:29:16 PM
That's why I said "I feel".....IMHO

I love Chako's collection, I want it to have my babies.

Love my collection just as much.

But I do know that I'm part of the 1%, and in this age of information it's difficult to keep your head in the sand.....
Indeed, these things bring us great joy, and that's what brings us all together :cheers:
SAW

gr Offline firiki

Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 02:02:22 PM
Sometimes I'm afraid I might get pregnant just by looking at Chako's collection  :D

My rant was about bad quality cheapos, not decent quality, cheap stuff. Having something break the first time I use it or shortly after without having been abused, that's a waste for me. Knives and tools breaking or wearing out prematurely during use without being abused can be dangerous and they certainly aren't cost-effective, for me.

For example, I bought a SILVA headlamp for my wife a while back. This summer I wanted to change battery cells in it; the cap broke clear without any chance of it being mended. No strain had been put on that headlamp previously, it hadn't been dropped not once nor compressed or otherwise maltreated. Needless to say I won't be buying another headlamp from them.

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 02:29:36 PM
Needless to say I won't be buying another headlamp from them.

Unfortunately these days, by the time everybody knows not to buy that headlamp, the manufacturer and retailers have made their money already.

Indeed, these things bring us great joy, and that's what brings us all together :cheers:

We devotees to all things sharp and toolisious cannot and will not solve the worlds problems  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 02:31:56 PM
I constantly wonder what my grandfather would've made of these cheap knives that are (in some cases) better than anything he ever owned or used.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #45 on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:43 AM
I found my 20 some odd year old Wal-Mart Christmas Knife and I have been carrying it for the last couple of days. It is still useful and still sharp.  I'm pretty sure I bought this somewhere around 1995.  I was wrong about it being of unknown steel, it is stamped 440 stainless on one side of the blade and Bar Creek on the other.
It's the knife on the right in the picture.
P1100467.JPG
* P1100467.JPG (Filesize: 284.69 KB)

us Offline BASguy

Reply #46 on: January 02, 2016, 06:04:03 AM
I always get a chuckle when I hear people knock inexpensive knives as being cheap.  Some are, some aren't. 
I tend to carry several Rough Rider Barlows in my truck and give them away when the occasion arises.  They are under $10 apiece....shipped.  They are very good quality, take a wicked edge, have a great walk and talk, and come in all sorts of nice scale styles.  Fantastic knives for the price. 

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD