Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Condor.........or?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Condor.........or?
on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:10 AM
Hi All

Unexpectedly got the chance to order some stuff from a shop I don't usually have access, of importance is Condor and AHTI.

My first instinct was to get the Bushlore and Bushlore Mini, but just as a start I'm paying the equivalent of $57 and $42 respectively.....
Slightly more than the Hudson Bay Knife, which I'm supposed to (and trying) to like, but just not getting there.....

Another problem is the Bushlore, the more I look at it the more mehhh it looks.......?

I'm leaning towards the Bushlore mini as a user and the AHTI METSASTAJA for my collection.

This combo would cost me about a third less, I would ideally like to get all 3, and the Condor Boomslang and Hudson Bay, but I'm tapped financially.
What put me off slightly on the Bushlore as well was a comparison shot with a Mora, and I realized I already have my perfect and preferred user in the size.....the Bushcraft Black.....

Any opinions on the knives mentioned that might help me make up or change my mind?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Condor.........or?
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:56:36 AM
I've not handled a Ahti but I cannot imagine it's poor quality.  That one you are looking at certainly looks very nice IMO, though I'd buy it as a user.

I do think the Condor knives lack the refinement that I look for in a knife of that price (and here they've gone up in price quite a lot in just a few years).  The "rough around the edges" look I can easily forgive in the machetes etc, but the knives have never appealed enough for me to buy one.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:18:45 AM
I've got a bush lore and all I've done with it is maintain it after using it. It's the second gen not the new more expensive third gen.

For the money the fit and finish is pretty good. The sheath is excellent.

Compared to my moras and my hultafors heavy duty knife (which I prefer over the moras). The condor is a no brainier, it is much more competent.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:33:50 AM
How much did that one cost you Mark?  I seem to remember that they were thirty-odd quid when they first became big, but now seem to go for at least fifty.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:24 AM
How much did that one cost you Mark?  I seem to remember that they were thirty-odd quid when they first became big, but now seem to go for at least fifty.

It was around £40, although I wouldn't object to paying £50 for one. I could and probably will spend £300 on a custom Jacklore but the condor will still get most of the use.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:21:27 AM
Price is a bit of an issue for me, especially when I see mention of people getting both for $60......

It's the second gen not the new more expensive third gen.
Had no idea there were different generations.......was one of the earlier ones 5mm thick?

I'm getting to the point now where I don't want to buy anything with the express purpose of modding and improving it, and I'm afraid these fall directly in that category.

Thanks for the input guys, at least I have a few more days to figure this out  :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:24:12 AM
Price is a bit of an issue for me, especially when I see mention of people getting both for $60......

It's the second gen not the new more expensive third gen.
Had no idea there were different generations.......was one of the earlier ones 5mm thick?

I'm getting to the point now where I don't want to buy anything with the express purpose of modding and improving it, and I'm afraid these fall directly in that category.

Thanks for the input guys, at least I have a few more days to figure this out  :D

Yes, the first gen was 5mm, but I haven't had to do anything to mine

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 11:29:09 AM
Yes, the first gen was 5mm, but I haven't had to do anything to mine

Thanks, that explains a lot......

True, but as soon as I see pics with the handle stained and the blade blued.........I cannot resist!  :D

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:40 AM
Thanks for everybody's inputs, helped me make up my mind.

The standard Bushlore reminded me too much of a Tramontina knife sold locally and widely used as bait knives......2 people I asked gave that exact same answer, so.......

I decided to get the Mini Bushlore because it's just to cute for words, the AHTI Metsastaja......

......and the fullsize Bushlore blank only!  :facepalm:

I'm going to give it nice Micarta handles, a kydex sheath, then I'll see if it can unseat the Mora Bushcraft as my favourite beater.

Bought today, should be here end of the week.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:10:41 PM
Good stuff. :)  I look forward to hearing how you get on.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 03:26:18 PM
I didn't know you could buy the blanks so I will be watching this closely :popcorn:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 05:34:17 PM
Im a bit late to the party,
I have a bushlore wich I bought for $30 a few years ago, and its been mostly collecting dust. I prefer the Condor Bushcraft Basic 5 wich I bought around the same time. A much better knife IMO.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 07:43:15 AM
I can't access the site from here, but I think they're selling 3 blanks now, the Bushlore, the Woodlaw and another I don't remember  :facepalm:

The shop doesn't have a full selection of the condor products, and since I was very iffy on the Bushlore I figured spend the least money (equivalent of $33) on the blank and pimp it up with some nice Micarta, thermo molded plastic sheath covered with leather.

I'm itching to try for an Impala horn finish, solid black Micarta with integral zombie-green liners...... :2tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 07:45:28 AM
Personally I'm more excited about the AHTI  8)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%