Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it possible to mod SAKs with a Dremel...??? (no professionally, for hobby)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
No in a professional way (relax modders in the forum), you know, only for hobby and little tasks:

- Drill pins to try new configurations of layers and tools
- Round blades (from point to no tip, for example)

The Dremel is powerful enough to do these tasks...?

I know there is a work station, but I don´t know if it could work fine

http://www.instructables.com/id/Increase-the-precision-of-a-Dremel-press-drill/

This is for wood, but there are for metal too:

Thanks!!!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:05:50 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Yes and no. It has speed but lacks torque. You can drill and shape, but when you need slow powerful things, like drilling the holes bigger or grinding it's not so good.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Have you read the SAK modding guides that are stickied on the top of this subforum? They are immensely helpful, and I think they will answer many questions you may have.

Butwhat tattoosteve said. They are great for grinding, cutting and shaping tools, but not so good for drilling. So reshaping the blades? Absolutely. Resizing pins and holes? Not so much
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:36:07 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
The Dremel carbide tile cutter (#562) is 1/8" and perfect for drilling tools out.  If you're careful I think you'd be OK drilling out rivets with the Dremel drills, then enlarging the holes with diamond burrs - it'll take time, but you'll get there in the end. The reinforced cutting discs (SC409 or 426) are great for cutting stainless tools.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:03:13 AM by hiraethus »

us Offline tattoosteve99

The Dremel carbide tile cutter (#562) is 1/8" and perfect for drilling tools out.  If you're careful I think you'd be OK drilling out rivets with the Dremel drills, then enlarging the holes with diamond burrs - it'll take time, but you'll get there in the end. The reinforced cutting discs (SC409 or 426) are great for cutting stainless tools.

It is possible but difficult. You need to go slow when using that bit, but when you slow the dremel tools speed down you loose torque :/
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
I agree with the Guys

I used a Dremel when I first started my messing about with metal and tools (but I did have a big drill )
I found with care and patience you can do a huge amount with a Dremel
And it works if you are only going to do a few jobs, after a little while you might be looking around for more dedicated tools
I still use my Dremels as they are perfect for some jobs  :tu:

Also it is very important to use safety glasses EVERY TIME time you pick up the Dremel  :ahhh
Everything’s adjustable

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Thank you to all of you guys!   :salute: :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice

Also it is very important to use safety glasses EVERY TIME time you pick up the Dremel  :ahhh

I said this because I used to think of the Dremel as a toy, but it's not, often the bits will shatter  ::)
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
It depends on what you need to do, but it is capable of quite a bit.  I used to use them alot in the beginning, but I dont use them much any more.  Replaced with bench mounted tools for faster work when buffing and grinding.  Occasionally I'll use the cutoff wheels to shorten SAK blades still though.

I said this because I used to think of the Dremel as a toy, but it's not, often the bits will shatter  ::)

I got tired of debris hitting my face as well, so I almost always just use a full face shield now, its just easier and protects your whole face.  If you wear glasses its easier than trying to fit safety glasses overtop too.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:40:56 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85