Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock headed my way

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Powerlock headed my way
on: November 14, 2015, 06:23:38 PM
I think I scored a great deal. I found a lightly used stainless Powerlock with scissors on Evil Bay last night for $29 + $3 shipping. The only thing the seller has listed as being wrong with it was that he lost one of the tool covers. It has the newest style plier head. It has the large gear covers. I can't tell if piano locks or not. It has the older hex bolts, opposed to the Allen style.

At any rate, I stared at the ad for a few minutes thinking something more serious must be wrong. Some stores in town sell them for over $100. Even at the Base Exchange they are $60. I'm half expecting it to show up and have some sort of defect. But if it does, I'll just send it to SOG for warranty repair.

Someone on MTO the other day mentioned searching the Bay by typing in "SOG multi tool" instead of a specific model to find better deals. It totally worked - this was the cheapest "buy now" I've seen.

I'm pumped. But this next week will probably drag by :D

I just hope it doesn't show up as a POG SourCrock... :P
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Powerlock headed my way
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:33:59 PM
Congrats , sounds like you got a deal   :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:10 PM

Someone on MTO the other day mentioned searching the Bay by typing in "SOG multi tool" instead of a specific model to find better deals. It totally worked - this was the cheapest "buy now" I've seen.

I'm pumped. But this next week will probably drag by :D

I just hope it doesn't show up as a POG SourCrock... :P
That was me, and im very glad I could help you score a great deal!

If you call SOGs warranty department, They'll send you a new handle cover, no questions asked. Just be prepared for shipping to take a while. Ive noticed that while their CS is phenomenal, their actual execution of said service tends tp be a bit sluggish....

The Powerlock is a neat tool. When I recieved mine, the tools wouldn't lock. Do yourself a huge favor, and take a picture if the inside tools order, and then take all of them out for a good cleaning. My lockup is much better after that, and is only hindered now by the infamous overclosed can and bottleopeners.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:28:48 AM
That was me, and im very glad I could help you score a great deal!

If you call SOGs warranty department, They'll send you a new handle cover, no questions asked. Just be prepared for shipping to take a while. Ive noticed that while their CS is phenomenal, their actual execution of said service tends tp be a bit sluggish....

The Powerlock is a neat tool. When I recieved mine, the tools wouldn't lock. Do yourself a huge favor, and take a picture if the inside tools order, and then take all of them out for a good cleaning. My lockup is much better after that, and is only hindered now by the infamous overclosed can and bottleopeners.

That was some great advice, sLaughter! Thanks again for that. I've been wanting a PL for a while, but it was a low-priority acquisition unless I found a smoking deal.

I may just order the handle covers - I've been wanting to get some extra/different tools for my PPP and SP2, anyways.

Is the overclosed openers issue a problem on every PL?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:06:09 AM

I just checked on one of mine, no problem at all with can/bottle openers interfering with lock-up.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 10:32:17 PM
No idea on every PL, but I know my original (no gear covers) PL has a pretty annoying issue with it, and I believe ducttapetech confirmed it could be an issue on his, but used a finger trick I havent figured out yet to avoid it. Ive seen it mentioned elsewhere, so it does affect other users, but I think the newer style locks solved that problem.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:55:06 PM
You did good buddy, that's not bad for a PL. I paid around $54 for mine but I had a coupon for Lowes. It's one of my favorite tools and although I'm not usually too keen on chisel-ground blades, I really do dig the PL one - it's razor-sharp :tu:

I hope you'll post some pics of it once it arrives, as you got me curious as to its fit and condition.

cheers :cheers:
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:04:12 PM
You did good buddy, that's not bad for a PL. I paid around $54 for mine but I had a coupon for Lowes. It's one of my favorite tools and although I'm not usually too keen on chisel-ground blades, I really do dig the PL one - it's razor-sharp :tu:

I hope you'll post some pics of it once it arrives, as you got me curious as to its fit and condition.

cheers :cheers:

I will be sure to post pictures when I get it. If the pictures from the ad are not fakes, or taken 30 years ago, the tool looks in pretty good shape.

I'm still half expecting it to show up with some unmentioned problem. But at $32 shipped it would have to be pretty bad for me to be upset about it.

us Offline sawman

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:13:53 PM
What's really fun is configuring it to your own liking. I keep a bag of spare parts on hand and recommend anyone with a SOG to invest in some.
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:04 AM
What's really fun is configuring it to your own liking. I keep a bag of spare parts on hand and recommend anyone with a SOG to invest in some.

I would have done that a long time ago, but those extras are pretty pricey, especially when you add in SOGs ridiculous shipping. And besides a couple of other options, direct from SOG is one of the few places that carries the extras.

But, it almost defeats the purpose of owning a SOG if you don't play mix-n-match, doesn't it ;)

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:54:37 AM
Sounds like a really good deal.  If you have a sheath coming with it, then it's even better.  :cheers:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 03:03:20 PM
Sounds like a really good deal.  If you have a sheath coming with it, then it's even better.  :cheers:

Leather sheath ;)

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 07:53:30 AM
The non believers may complain about various aspects of SOG's design, including how they feel in the hand, and their quality, but one thing nobody has ever said is that their leather sheaths are not first rate.  Congratulations again on a really great deal. :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 10:42:10 AM
The non believers may complain about various aspects of SOG's design, including how they feel in the hand, and their quality, but one thing nobody has ever said is that their leather sheaths are not first rate.  Congratulations again on a really great deal. :tu:

Agreed  :tu: I've had two SOG sheaths, both excellent  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 10:42:49 AM
Oops double post

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:22:38 PM
Just spoke to my Wife who informed me that the mail-person just delivered a SOG PowerLock to my home!!! Woot woot! I was concerned that for $32 shipped it would turn out to be a ZOG PowerDump or some kind of cheap imposter :D But she opened the package and confirmed it.

Unfortunately, I just posted out to work this morning so I willn't get to play with it until Sunday :(

us Offline sawman

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 08:57:51 PM
Just spoke to my Wife who informed me that the mail-person just delivered a SOG PowerLock to my home!!! Woot woot! I was concerned that for $32 shipped it would turn out to be a ZOG PowerDump or some kind of cheap imposter :D But she opened the package and confirmed it.

Unfortunately, I just posted out to work this morning so I willn't get to play with it until Sunday :(
That sux that you have to wait so long to check it out.
SAW

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 03:55:45 AM
Roughly 1 day, 15 hours, 9 minutes until I get to fondle my PowerLock

:wait: :wait: :wait:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 09:48:27 PM
21 hours and 14 minutes to go

:ahhh

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 04:45:29 PM
2 hours and 15 minutes! 

:poh: :poh: :poh:

us Offline sawman

Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 05:16:37 PM
2 hours and 15 minutes! 

:poh: :poh: :poh:
I'm just dying to know its condition. If all goes as planned, you're in for a real treat :tu:
SAW

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 08:20:08 PM
Hey what gives? You were supposed to have posted a picture 1 hour and 20 minutes ago... :pok:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:13:08 PM
My wife wanted me to "just pickup dog food" on the way home. That turned into an entire holiday grocery trip. But, enough with the excuses - lets get on to the show...

As you can see, it's in great shape. The sheath has PowerPlay impressed into the leather so I guess this old Paladin stock. Also of interest is the large flat featuring a wire stripping notch. I know SOG does that on some but not all.

I'm pleased! :D not bad for $32 shipped

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 09:18:14 PM
Very nice. The wire stripping notch is a great feature, and is actually one of the main things I miss from my LM tools that SOG dosent have covered. Need to get me one with that notch...

Great pictures!

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 01:17:58 AM
I have the same powerlock with the Paladin pouch, just a few slight differences such as mine has the older covers that wrap around the ends.  It took me a couple of days after I got it before I even noticed the 1/4 inch socket in the bottom of the pouch.  :whistle:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 01:41:39 AM
I have the same powerlock with the Paladin pouch, just a few slight differences such as mine has the older covers that wrap around the ends.  It took me a couple of days after I got it before I even noticed the 1/4 inch socket in the bottom of the pouch.  :whistle:

Yeah, that's a nice touch! It's an awesome sheath for sure. I really wasn't expecting to find a socket included with this deal.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%