Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!

rdub934 · 342 · 36891

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!
on: November 16, 2015, 06:58:45 PM
http://sogpr.blogspot.com/2015/11/2016-product-highlights.html

New Multitools: The PowerPlay and Reactor!!!

PowerPlay Multi-Tool
Compact, comfortable, and feature-rich, the PowerPlay packs the most
often used tools into a smaller, pocketable package. Equipped with pliers powered
by SOG’s Compound Leverage, the PowerPlay also includes a straight edge and a
fully serrated blade that can be  deployed single-handedly without opening the tool.
When the tool is closed, the top has a centered hex bit driver that’s convenient and  comfortable to  use while minimizing chances of stripped screw heads. All told, it houses 18 tool components.

Reactor Multi-Tool
Housing a total of 10 components including a hardcased black
coated stainless steel assisted blade and powerful Compound
Leverage geared  pliers,  the Reactor combines a great folding
knife with fully functional pliers.  A quick push of the thumb stud propels the  hardcased black  coated  blade  open and ready for action.
The Reactor’s shape fits  firmly and  securely in a hand. Tucking the blade back
in and flipping the handle  gives easy access to the pliers.

MACV Tool
Whether you need to open a bottle, tighten a  screw  or  nut,  pry  a
staple out, cut fishing line, or touch up a blade on the go, the MacV Tool  has  what  you  need.  Designed  to  resemble  the  original  skull from  the  MACV-SOG  group  of  which
our  company  is  named  after, the  MacV Tool  is  a  versatile  everyday  carry,  keychain
tool that will prove  handy  in  many  situations.
Power Play.jpg
* Power Play.jpg (Filesize: 29.05 KB)
Reactor.jpg
* Reactor.jpg (Filesize: 28.35 KB)
MACV Tool.jpg
* MACV Tool.jpg (Filesize: 32.28 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:01:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

With that said. I'm not excited about these at all and hate the look of both. The Reactor looks like a Skeletool knockoff as well.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:04 PM
I'm still partial to my Powerlock but it's good to see them innovating :tu:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:07:56 PM
 :facepalm:

Powerplay sports the horrendous Phillips generally found on the worst Chinese made Aliexpress punted multifails found on the market. For me that is a reflection of the rest of the tool.

Reactor sports the single worst example of handle splay I think I've ever seen

.... and the less said about the MACV the better.

When they released the Switchplier 2.0 I thought they were trying to make amends for previous multifails like the Powerduo. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case  :-\

Thanks for flagging these up rdub  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:11:52 PM
Hahahaha, I fully agree Cap! Although, as a replacement to the terrible PowerDuo, the Reactor looks WAY better, but I'm still not interested, since I already have PPP and a SP2. It also, appears that the PowerPlay, is aimed at being a pocket tool, and probably of the "affordable" variety. Neither really capitalize on SOGs best feature (with respect to compound leverage, of course) the replaceable implements.

At any rate, I am excited to see SOG stepping up to the plate with something new and sort of taking on Gerber and Leatherman a bit. The full size bit driver capability of the two full size tools is huge IMO.

PowerPlay maybe positioned as a Wingman/Sidekick competitor, and as you noted, the Reactor sort of as a Skeletool competitor.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:22:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

With that said. I'm not excited about these at all and hate the look of both. The Reactor looks like a Skeletool knockoff as well.

Knockoff is isn't quite the word I'd use.  It isn't like it's anything alike other than having a similar tool selection. I'll happily concede it's "designed to compete" though. :D

Edit :doh:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:29:37 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:30:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Knockoff is quite the word I'd use.  It isn't like it's anything alike other than having a similar tool selection. I'll happily concede it's "designed to compete" though. :D

Obviously I did not mean its a true knockoff of the Skeletool. What I meant was it is obviously designed with influence from the Skeletool.

I am just disappointed as SOG was falling behind in the multitool world and this could of been their chance to even the playing field and actually compete with their competitors with new, innovative tools. I know I jump the gun on judgement, but my intuition is normally correct. I think SOG is blowing their chance to be a true player in the market and at the very least is setting themselves back a year or two in development.

I really wish thier was another big player in the multitool market as Leatherman seems to piss me off at every turn and I am getting really sick of it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:32:10 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Knockoff is quite the word I'd use.  It isn't like it's anything alike other than having a similar tool selection. I'll happily concede it's "designed to compete" though. :D

Obviously I did not mean its a true knockoff of the Skeletool. What I meant was it is obviously designed with influence from the Skeletool.

I am just disappointed as SOG was falling behind in the multitool world and this could of been their chance to even the playing field and actually compete with their competitors with new, innovative tools. I know I jump the gun on judgement, but my intuition is normally correct. I think SOG is blowing their chance to be a true player in the market and at the very least is setting themselves back a year or two in development.

I really wish thier was another big player in the multitool market as Leatherman seems to piss me off at every turn and I am getting really sick of it.

Totally agree! As far as I'm concerned, this is SOG officially giving up making multitools, and just buying in cheap crap they can try and make a few bucks on at the expense of any credibility they have left  :(

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:44:43 PM
Ganzo
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:54:14 PM
IMHO...

Price always makes or breaks new products (case in point: Signal on the negative end of the spectrum vs SwitchPlier 2.0 on the positive) so that will be huge for the PowerPlay. However, depending on size (I'm assuming it's in the 4" range) it will create competition for the marvelous and still very affordable Pocket PowerPlier, which can be had for $35-40. I have a hard time believing the PowerPlay will be much cheaper than that.

I think size will be a bigger factor in the Reactor's case. The PowerDuo was never going to be awesome for a multitude of reasons, but the fact that it was bigger than a PowerLock and with a diminished tool set was unforgivable. If the Reactor is the size/weight of a Skeletool and it has a good pocket clip, it can fill a niche. If it's big and heavy and is meant to be sheath carried, it'll be a travesty. And that handle splay is excessive 

Ganzo

They do look very Ganzo, lol. I wonder why no gear covers?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:35:23 PM
They look interesting, I look forward to try them out.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 08:50:58 PM

Victorinox and Gerber are keeping me happy at the moment. I don't like everything they do, but they seem to be offering me personally more than the others combined.

Leatherman still have a couple of products I'd endorse, but unless my recently fixed Switchplier wins me over, SOG aren't getting any votes from me at all. CRKT do really well with their knives IMHO, but their multitools tend to seem like they were created after kicking out time at the pub  :D Bear and Sons stagnated years ago, Kershaw and Buck gave up, Schrade sold out, Wenger got swallowed up and Leatherman seem to have become..... disorientated  :whistle: Did I miss anyone significant?  :think:

It's frustrating that there's no new good stuff to get excited about, but if I wanted to buy a new tool tomorrow, at least I know I could buy something with confidence from Gerber or Vic

Oh, and BTW...... wasn't Powerplay a SOG/Palladin trademark? I wonder if there'll be any backlash from Palladin?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 08:55:12 PM
I dig the Reactor, it's obvious a successor to the PowerDuo.
Pliers, Blade and what looks like a 1/4" bit holder, if the size/quality/price match up then this could be the most interesting thing to come out in the near future.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 09:01:56 PM
Pliers, Blade and what looks like a 1/4" bit holder, if the size/quality/price match up then this could be the most interesting thing to come out in the near future.

The blurb says "housing 10 components", but I wonder if that's meant to be 10 functions  :think: there does appear to be other stuff not opened out/described. There's that little hook thingummy near the blade pivot. Some flat blade looking something-or-other near the plier pivot, something uncoated tucked away on the opposite side of the handle to the blade....

Certainly chance for more excitement or disappointment depending on what else they haven't shown us yet  :P :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:43 PM
Also....

Both sets of pliers seem to have some form of toothed grippy/crimper affair on the underside of the pliers. Double headed pliers maybe? Though there's also that line that says.... 

When the tool is closed, the top has a centered hex bit driver that’s convenient and  comfortable to  use while minimizing chances of stripped screw heads.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 09:09:43 PM

The blurb says "housing 10 components", but I wonder if that's meant to be 10 functions  :think: there does appear to be other stuff not opened out/described. There's that little hook thingummy near the blade pivot. Some flat blade looking something-or-other near the plier pivot, something uncoated tucked away on the opposite side of the handle to the blade....

Certainly chance for more excitement or disappointment depending on what else they haven't shown us yet  :P :D
If you look carefully, you see there is at least one screw missing. I think this is photoshopped together...

Probably not even the right pliers head (looks too big).
Also, the inside gripping area is partially covered by the handle, that can't be right.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:13:48 PM by Etherealicer »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:33 PM
the first one reminded me of this

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 09:16:32 PM
Also....

Both sets of pliers seem to have some form of toothed grippy/crimper affair on the underside of the pliers. Double headed pliers maybe? Though there's also that line that says.... 

When the tool is closed, the top has a centered hex bit driver that’s convenient and  comfortable to  use while minimizing chances of stripped screw heads.
With that the "tool-count" on the pliers is at least 6: 3 gripping areas, wire cutter, hard wire-cutter, compound lever not to far to get to 10 then ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 09:20:00 PM
If you look carefully, you see there is at least one screw missing. I think this is photoshopped together...

Nah, these are the guys that gave us the PowerDuo with cracked scales and centre mounted can opener that can't sit on the rim of a can  :D The missing screw will probably be a design feature for adjustable handle splay  :rofl:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 09:22:30 PM

As soon as I saw the Reactor, I thought "I bet Kampfer is going to like this." It looks kinda Colonial Marine :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 09:26:46 PM
the first one reminded me of this

(Image removed from quote.)

Is that one of the True Utility offerings?

It's interesting that they chose to go for a combination of inboard and outboard. It makes the blades more usable, but still leaves the saw potentially impeded by the opposing handle. Not sure why they didn't just make both handles outboard  :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 09:30:39 PM
Ganzo 108 - prety big, solid pliers and OK tools

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:07 PM
Also....

With that the "tool-count" on the pliers is at least 6: 3 gripping areas, wire cutter, hard wire-cutter, compound lever not to far to get to 10 then ;)

Hmmm...

Fine pliers
Bolt gripper
Crimper
Wire cutter
Bit driver
Blade
Rescue hook for gnomes  :think:
Awl maybe (behind the blade)

There's got to be a bottle opener in there somewhere, which just leaves flesh shredder (exposed gears  :P)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 09:32:29 PM
Ganzo 108 - prety big, solid pliers and OK tools

:salute:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 10:05:31 PM
I would need them in hand or see a video to make judgement. Pictures are one thing bit in hand is another. Glad to see more innovation. The powerplay looks like one side is outside accessible and the other is on the inside? :think:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 10:16:22 PM
I would need them in hand or see a video to make judgement. Pictures are one thing bit in hand is another. Glad to see more innovation. The powerplay looks like one side is outside accessible and the other is on the inside? :think:
Nah, its Photoshop... makes no sense that an OHO-blade is on the inside :facepalm:

Also the description clearly states that the blades are outside-accessible. This actually makes the tool even more interesting... and probably more comfortable to grip.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:18:03 PM by Etherealicer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 10:20:45 PM
Nah, its Photoshop... makes no sense that an OHO-blade is on the inside :facepalm:

Also the description clearly states that the blades are outside-accessible. This actually makes the tool even more interesting... and probably more comfortable to grip.

Beat, the OHO blades are outside when the tool is closed  :pok:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 10:23:15 PM

As soon as I saw the Reactor, I thought "I bet Kampfer is going to like this." It looks kinda Colonial Marine :D
:D
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 10:28:10 PM

Beat, the OHO blades are outside when the tool is closed  :pok:
Oh, you are right... that probably means this is how it will be :ahhh, meaning only half the tools on the outside like Demel said :ahhh WHY? :ahhh

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 11:23:05 PM

Reactor sports the single worst example of handle splay I think I've ever seen

I think I figured something out regarding this - the missing bolt on the knife-side handle would be the one that connects that handle to the plier head, I believe. I think it was removed so that the tool could be photographed in that position. Meaning, the handles would be closer together at that plier position, but that would not leave enough room to show off that case-hardened blade for the press photo.

I was just thinking about it because the handles appear... just wrong. Something seems off. The angle of the handles seems different.

Can anyone offer any argument or evidence to the contrary?
Reactor.jpg
* Reactor.jpg (Filesize: 28.35 KB)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:25:00 PM by rdub934 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%