Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!

rdub934 · 342 · 36889

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 11:30:59 PM

Reactor sports the single worst example of handle splay I think I've ever seen

I think I figured something out regarding this - the missing bolt on the knife-side handle would be the one that connects that handle to the plier head, I believe. I think it was removed so that the tool could be photographed in that position. Meaning, the handles would be closer together at that plier position, but that would not leave enough room to show off that case-hardened blade for the press photo.

I was just thinking about it because the handles appear... just wrong. Something seems off. The angle of the handles seems different.

Can anyone offer any argument or evidence to the contrary?

That makes no sense (no disrespect to you). Surely you'd just open the handles wider to take the shot :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:51 PM
That makes no sense (no disrespect to you). Surely you'd just open the handles wider to take the shot :shrug:

Well, I agree that it doesn't really seem that plausible. But, why else would it be missing the bolt that connects the handle to the plier head? ??? And like I said, the handles appear to be at two different angles. Maybe it's just me? :shrug:

Another arguement against my theory is the gears. Even with that bolt removed, the interaction betwixt the gears would keep the handles at the same angle with respect to each other.

Sorry, I might be a little thinker than I drunk I am  :drink:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 11:41:22 PM

I think I figured something out regarding this - the missing bolt on the knife-side handle would be the one that connects that handle to the plier head, I believe. I think it was removed so that the tool could be photographed in that position. Meaning, the handles would be closer together at that plier position, but that would not leave enough room to show off that case-hardened blade for the press photo.

I was just thinking about it because the handles appear... just wrong. Something seems off. The angle of the handles seems different.

My thought it that handle isn't fully locked into place which is why it looks so wide, again because the blade wouldn't fit in that position with the handles in the normal plier position.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:27 PM
It looks like, for better or worse, SOG has finally decided to take a hard look at their multi tool offerings. These are clearly drawings (missing screw on Reactor, missing gear "bar" and sketch lines on end of file on PowerPlay), and as such im going to give them the benifit of the doubt on the cheap look of the tools, and the the odd angles. Instead, im going to highlight what I liked, and hope SOG keeps.

The Good: Powerplay
-built in hex bit adapters. This is actually a pretty great feature, and the fact that it dosent take up normal tool space is awesome. If I can keep a doublesided bit in there, I can finally forgive SOGs poor screwdriver performance.
-file. The file is cut ALL THE WAY TO TO END! I know its a drawing, but sogs files are another weak spot, and if this one is aggressivly cut, I would be a very excited enthusiast
-phillips head. Again another weak spot. But they finally considered changing it! Frankly, as long as it remains 3D, they cant realy mess this one up by changing is, as SOGs phillips is pretty poor, even on #1 screws (plus it will fold over on non lockig tools). Id rather have a 2D phillips that could fit #1 and #2 phillips heads.
-blades. Looks like they are "standard" pivots, maybe good mod fodder... Big serrated edge is exciting, but OHO, is just ok in my books
-locks. Looks like they incorporated their axis type lock onto this multi. Only time will tell if its any good, but it looks neat.
-micro driver. I assume thats what the tool between the awl and the file is. If that is the case, it is a neat, and welcome addition.

The Bad: Powerplay
-no gear covers. This is a big mistake for SOG. The PowerDuo should have had them, and they will kill this tool for me if they dont include them. It doesn't cost much to include some extra metal there, and they will win many more customers if they do, myself included.
-saw. The woodsaw was one of the best parts of SOGs tools. While the teeth were just as good as LMs, and almost as good as Vics, the fact that it is tapered towards the spine to prevent binding was a fantastic idea. I would be very sad to see this feature go, and hopefully it wont be lost here.

The ugly: Reactor
The only good thing I have to say about this is they appear to have included a hex bit adapter, which was a smart move. Everything else about this tool turns me off. No gear covers, huge handle splay (I assume this is because it's a drawing), ugly plier head, assisted opening, weird jimping near the blade pivot. I dont like the Skeletool much, I doubt ill like this one either.

Other:
It looks like they replaced the cap crimper on the other side of the plier pivot with the  extra gripping area found on the PowerCut and normal diagonal cuters. Odd, for a pliers based multi.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:56 PM

My thought it that handle isn't fully locked into place which is why it looks so wide, again because the blade wouldn't fit in that position with the handles in the normal plier position.

SOG's compound leverage tool's handles don't lock into place, though. :shrug:

So you see it too? The handles are at different angles, right?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 12:10:13 AM

SOG's compound leverage tool's handles don't lock into place, though. :shrug:

So you see it too? The handles are at different angles, right?

Could be! If you look inside the handles, the left hand side has more of the backside of the plier head showing. In effect the head is slightly skewed to the handles. There is still no (apparent) rational reason for doing this though. Why the smurf would you prepare PR releases based on photos of partly built tools. That's like advertising a car with the wheels missing  :D

Then again, their PR did (still might - haven't checked) proclaim the Switchplier had compound leverage on the pliers  :whistle:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 12:44:18 AM

Could be! If you look inside the handles, the left hand side has more of the backside of the plier head showing. In effect the head is slightly skewed to the handles. There is still no (apparent) rational reason for doing this though. Why the smurf would you prepare PR releases based on photos of partly built tools. That's like advertising a car with the wheels missing  :D

Then again, their PR did (still might - haven't checked) proclaim the Switchplier had compound leverage on the pliers  :whistle:

HAHAHAHA! Good points, on both accounts!

us Offline forest77

Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:06 AM
Looks to me like SOG has given up the ghost.  Im very happy with victorinox and leatherman . I own one Sog Mt. Its a powerlock. Not everytool is perfect but , damn im at aloss for words. Sorry SoG good luck with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Mind not for rent!

us Offline forest77

Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 11:33:02 AM
At least they make good knifes.

Mind not for rent!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 11:39:19 AM

I can't comment on that, I've never owned one. Their designs have never really appealed, so I've never experienced their quality first hand. I think they got some bad press a couple of years back for problems with their fixed blades, but can't recall any reported issues with their folders

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 11:42:02 AM
Looks like they made some nice improvements. Love the new plier head and the crimper. Handles look a lot smoother and done away with the handle covers. Seems to be using the Arc locks. That's a big plus. The reactor has nice looking blade and uses 3D bits.
The MACV, while not something I would use, is very cool looking and even cooler throwback to the men who served in SOG.

Not sure how the newer can opener will work. Hopefully better than the older one. That is the one tool on a SOG that I hated. I would like the see a #2 Phillips instead.
Also, I love the looks of some of there new folders.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:46:32 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline forest77

Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:57 AM
I carry one of various SOG folders daily u paired with various non Sog multitools . I carry a SOG seal pup elite backpacking a few times. I do remember the bad press days. So far ive had no issues with there folders or fixed blades. I do have other brands of fixed and folders. I mean no disrespect to anyone or SOg  the company. The new items just dont apeal to me.

Mind not for rent!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:19 AM

I agree. For years (years ago) I carried a Flash II and have even gifted that model out to people who loved them. I most recently acquired the Fielder and find it to be one of the highest quality budget knives I've ever owned. SOG may have produced a couple of "flops" in these newly announced multitools, BUT, they're one of the TOP producer of quality folders IMHO.
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 12:27:44 PM
Agreed.
They make some sweet knives.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 01:45:23 PM

It looks as if it have a bum leg/handle.

hr Offline styx

Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:29 PM
Nice to see I'm not alone in asking what were they thinking
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:13 PM
I will save my judgement until we can see more. I am excited just for the simple fact that SOG hasn't really put out any completely new designs since the PowerDuo, and that was a crap show, IMHO. So seeing something, not only new, but something that sort of pushes the envelope a bit is really exciting. I really don't get the PowerPlay, as it is going to compete with some of SOGs other products. I am cautiously optimistic about the Reactor. If it is the right size and of decent quality, it will be great.

However, I would have rather seen some refinement to the existing MT product lines. Change the chassis on the PPP and PL, make a pocket clip for them, and then improve their implements, IE a better Phillips, scissors, file, etc...

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #47 on: November 17, 2015, 05:46:15 PM
They look interesting, I look forward to try them out.

As soon as I saw the Reactor, I thought "I bet Kampfer is going to like this." It looks kinda Colonial Marine :D
:D

Not the only Skeletool fan that likes that, the moment I saw it, I thought "Ok that's SOG Skeletool" :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #48 on: November 17, 2015, 06:13:24 PM
I really wish they put a satin blade on it instead black coated one
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:06 PM
So I posted the link about these new products on SOGs Facebook page and asked about additional information, because I can't find anything else. They messaged me back saying that they didn't even realize that information had been leaked online yet. And while they did not release any new details to me, they are sending me a free SOG hat!!!!

Hey, it was worth the try :tu:

BTW, I see that my original post on their page has been REMOVED  :rofl:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 08:32:44 PM
And even the blog post has been removed! But hey, we still have a few pics don't we? Lol

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 08:35:48 PM
And even the blog post has been removed! But hey, we still have a few pics don't we? Lol
Now that is funny!

Hopefully SOG will take some of the suggestions on this thread to heart.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
It's beginning to be that time of year where info on next year's products starts leaking. I couldn't contain my excitement so I had to go running my mouth to SOG looking for more details. Hahaha

Come on, Leatherman! File a new patent already :)

Come on, Gerber! Release your 2016 product catalog already :)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 04:06:33 AM
I think I saw the MACV on sale at Lowes yesterday. Packaged with a knife?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #54 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:22 AM
You must got the time machine working, what else is happening in 2016?  ;)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:19 AM
So I posted the link about these new products on SOGs Facebook page and asked about additional information, because I can't find anything else. They messaged me back saying that they didn't even realize that information had been leaked online yet. And while they did not release any new details to me, they are sending me a free SOG hat!!!!

Hey, it was worth the try :tu:

BTW, I see that my original post on their page has been REMOVED  :rofl:
Good thing you had downloaded the images :tu: enjoy your hat :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 18, 2015, 02:51:55 PM
Oh sick! They gave you a free hat! Sweet!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #57 on: November 18, 2015, 08:09:44 PM
You must got the time machine working, what else is happening in 2016?  ;)

I went foward in my time machine and got these pictures.
IMG_20151118_120312~01~01.jpg
* IMG_20151118_120312~01~01.jpg (Filesize: 153.17 KB)
IMG_20151118_120326~01.jpg
* IMG_20151118_120326~01.jpg (Filesize: 143.59 KB)
IMG_20151118_120319~01.jpg
* IMG_20151118_120319~01.jpg (Filesize: 139.49 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #58 on: November 18, 2015, 08:16:55 PM
 :salute:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #59 on: November 19, 2015, 01:26:28 AM