Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!

rdub934 · 342 · 36892

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: SOG 2016 Product Info!!!!
Reply #330 on: March 27, 2016, 05:04:53 AM
The octane is a really good tool. Makes no sense why it was discontinued. They should've cut the crucial line honestly. Glad you like the Reactor. It is still on my list just got knocked down priority wise. Any problems with the blade lock on yours?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #331 on: March 27, 2016, 10:57:19 AM
Well, I'm still on the fence with the Powerplay. Seems great, strong and versatile but there are no reviews, videos or tests other than this new one: (minute 14 to 20 for multitool stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93hl0k_etlI

And it's from the SOG guys themselves, so I don't expect to hear anything bad about their tools from them...

Sad!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:58:25 AM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #332 on: March 27, 2016, 02:45:08 PM
The lack of reviews is your biggest clue. I haven't used mine enough to have more than my cursory review above. It's just not that outstanding in any area. What do you want to know about it?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #333 on: March 27, 2016, 05:08:41 PM
The octane is a really good tool. Makes no sense why it was discontinued. They should've cut the crucial line honestly. Glad you like the Reactor. It is still on my list just got knocked down priority wise. Any problems with the blade lock on yours?

No problems with blade lock-up, but there is a bit of flex as others have described. I haven't been able to inadvertently unlock mine as I believe it was Kampfer that demonstrated with his. I haven't used mine for much, though, just fiddling
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #334 on: March 28, 2016, 09:41:22 PM
The lack of reviews is your biggest clue. I haven't used mine enough to have more than my cursory review above. It's just not that outstanding in any area. What do you want to know about it?

Well, I'd just like to know what does it improve on the PPP and the Powerlock, and in which ways could it be a better substitute for the PPP as a mid-size and weight MT for my belt carry system.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline Padre

Reply #335 on: April 04, 2016, 06:34:04 PM
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #336 on: April 04, 2016, 06:54:53 PM

Well, I'd just like to know what does it improve on the PPP and the Powerlock, and in which ways could it be a better substitute for the PPP as a mid-size and weight MT for my belt carry system.

Sorry didn't write back right away.

I wouldn't say it improves on either of them other than giving one-hand opening to some tools. It's bigger than the PPP, so I personally don't see it as a substitute for the PPP. Its in between in size, and is a compromise in so many ways. I think you'll just have to see one in person to get your answers.

ca Offline dmitrym

• New User
Reply #337 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:00 PM
Pretty disappointing. Reactor seems like a great idea on paper but the implementation is certainly lacking. I've seen 2 (or 3?) reviews so far. The liner lock for the knife is said to be flimsy and uncomfortable and the bit driver is nearly impossible to use. These are both dealbreakers as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen it's dismissed as a gimmick but assisted opening is very nice and I found it quite convenient in my other knives. Full sized bit driver would be nice too, no proprietary bits. I was hoping it would replace my EDC knife...although I'm not too terribly clear on the physical dimensions.

One thing of note is that last week, reactor was available on amazon but at some point it was pulled and the estimates for the next shipment are now a vague "1-2 months". Could it be that SOG has recalled these tools and addressing some of the issues? Hopefully.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #338 on: May 03, 2016, 04:24:46 PM
Did anyone check for the possibility to move a Reactor pliers to the Pocket Powerplier? Didn't see anything while doing a quick search. Would be pretty neat to get the driver even if you have to clamp down on the tool.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #339 on: May 04, 2016, 06:12:06 AM
I dont think anyones tried it yet,but Im doubtful. The PPP jaws are tapered on one side to make room for the inside tools,  and I dont think the Reactor will have that taper.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #340 on: May 06, 2016, 12:06:30 AM
Went to REI today and checked out the Powerplay. A few things to note: it seems SOG has perfected their one hand opening. It was waaayyyyyy smoother than my Powerlock. Although it looks really chunky in the photos it doesn't "feel" as thick as it is. Better than branded cheapos for sure. Also, I kind of like the half outside accessible tools and half inside. I don't see myself using the inner tools often anyway. The way they chose which ones go where was spot on. The lock studs could have been closer to the frame. Don't know why they stick out so much. All that to say I know what I am getting for my Birthday.   and a Reactor of course. Very impressive SOG. Very impressive indeed
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #341 on: May 06, 2016, 12:33:05 AM
Yea, I think overall SOG did well for 2016. Kind of a mixed reaction from us MT nerds, but that happens: Wingman, Octane, Skeletool have been love/hate. I still want to see SOG refine the product lines they already offer and upgrade their implements. But I like the Reactor. The PowerPlay looks pretty good, too - like you said, they thought it out pretty well.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%