Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Wave babola style

babola · 18 · 3043

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Super Wave babola style
on: November 17, 2015, 10:00:21 AM
I've been toying with an idea of modding one of my Waves into a Mini-Surge for some time now. Finally found the donor(s) and gave it a go last night only to be left with that well known underwhelming feeling. It's not the Wave, it's not my modding, but the flimsy, dinky, rough and under performing Wingman scissors. Installed them, didn't like them at all and replaced with the original Wave file blade.

So instead of not-so-great Mini Surge I decided to go for a Super Wave. Rebar pliers and awl, S30V main blade from Charge TTi. Re-modeled the original screw and post heads by turning them and introducing the bevel, just to add a little more panache and style to otherwise basic LM finish, that's all really.   

Hope you like the result.

:salute:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Super Wave babola style
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:08:02 AM
Very nice. :cheers:

Just got a vanilla Wave 5 minutes ago after not having one for a few years and I must say I really missed this thing.

I wish there was a nice and clean way to install 91mm Vic scissors on it that would lock.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:51 AM
Very nice. :cheers:

Just got a vanilla Wave 5 minutes ago after not having one for a few years and I must say I really missed this thing.

I wish there was a nice and clean way to install 91mm Vic scissors on it that would lock.

Ages ago I looked at keying the scissors into a blade pivot, it's not exactly a grinder job though.   :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:56 AM
Nice work mate.   :cheers:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:28 AM
That's very nice :tu:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:49:23 PM
Great job!

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 02:18:25 PM
Nice work!

I too have felt that underwhelming feeling with the Wingman scissors. I have since reverted all my modded tools with Wingman scissors. I just carry a SAK to complement them now.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:09:25 PM
Looks great, nice job of turning the screw heads  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:39:32 PM
Great job  :salute:. Looks terrific.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 05:03:24 PM
As always babola, an inspiration!

And you're photos are always super awesome

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 06:46:59 PM
I love it great job
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 07:41:23 PM
very nice work... I especially like the beveled pivot heads. :tu:

oh, and you have excellent taste, my friend. :D

I've had mixed results with the Vic 91mm scissors. :shrug: The scissors I used on the Mini Surge 2.0 worked pretty well. The lockup was a little loose, but that was more due to me getting impatient with the Dremel than anything else. I recently tried doing the same thing to a Charge, but couldn't get the scissors to lock up at all. I'm guessing the variance is more on the LM side; Vic parts seem to adhere to tighter tolerances.

I certainly haven't been able to come up with anything resembling a "nice and clean way" to do the install. :(

in related news, I have a bunch of spare Vic parts (not scissors!) lying around if anyone is interested... :whistle:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 11:27:20 PM

True, some of your mods provided that well needed inspiration ;) Where the heck have you been hiding recently?  :pok:

I have to admit I haven't been posting much either, wish there were more hours in a day  :(

And you know where you can send that spare gut-hook serated Charge blade of yours, don't you...haha... :D  I've been longing for one for some time now.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 07:32:30 AM

True, some of your mods provided that well needed inspiration ;) Where the heck have you been hiding recently?  :pok:

I have to admit I haven't been posting much either, wish there were more hours in a day  :(

And you know where you can send that spare gut-hook serated Charge blade of yours, don't you...haha... :D  I've been longing for one for some time now.

thanks for the kind words, my friend... nice to know that someone missed me. :D

life just got insanely busy for me the past couple months. :-\ work was busy, I was coaching both my sons' soccer teams, trying to keep myself active... honestly, a big part of it was that with spending long hours at work in front of a computer, I didn't feel much like looking at a screen when I got home.

that link that Kam posted might be your best bet for a serrated blade with a cutting hook... that's about what I paid for the ones I got from TTC. kinda crazy that they're more expensive than the S30V blades now. :P

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 03:30:46 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've had mixed results with the Vic 91mm scissors. :shrug: The scissors I used on the Mini Surge 2.0 worked pretty well. The lockup was a little loose, but that was more due to me getting impatient with the Dremel than anything else. I recently tried doing the same thing to a Charge, but couldn't get the scissors to lock up at all. I'm guessing the variance is more on the LM side; Vic parts seem to adhere to tighter tolerances.

I certainly haven't been able to come up with anything resembling a "nice and clean way" to do the install. :(

in related news, I have a bunch of spare Vic parts (not scissors!) lying around if anyone is interested... :whistle:
I'm interested! PM sent....  :D What can I say. I'm shameless.

I do love the green on your Wave though. Cerakote?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 07:13:56 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm interested! PM sent....  :D What can I say. I'm shameless.

I do love the green on your Wave though. Cerakote?

no shame required! :D

I'd much rather see these parts go to someone who will actually use them... better than sitting in a box on my workbench. :P

and yes, the green is Cerakote... glad you like. I had some fun with Cerakote a couple years ago.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%