Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpest knife in the world

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Sharpest knife in the world
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 11:58:04 PM
Here is my analysis

Japanese woodshaving: There are two difficulties. Choosing the wood and shaving at a slow even pace despite any impurities in the wood (probably also takes a good deal of strength).
I would say this is 99% skill and only 1% the knife. Cutting wood at a slow pace is no challenge to the edge.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. Sure its not putting a lot of strain on the edge, but to say it is no challenge to the edge (in my opinion) is incorrect. The edge must be extremely sharp to cut through something like wood at a slow pace.

This thread is about the sharpest edge not the most durable. These are two completely different things.
The sharpest blades are those microkeratome blades used in eye-surgery, there is no discussion about that ;)
Sharp is always a balance to durability, the sharper the less durable. I mean what is the use of such a sharp blade if it breaks after 1mm of cutting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. For wood-shaving it must be a very good blade, the edge must be very even and very sharp. But I think in the wood shaving skill is far more important. What I was trying to get at is: I find those cutting championship blades more impressive because they are both sharp and versatile.

I completely agree that you definitely lose durability when gaining a sharper edge as you are using shallow angles to achieve such a sharp edge which makes it not durable.

I also agree with you that it is probably more skill than anything for the planing competitions.

It makes me think. The planing competitors must have to sharpen their own blades right? I mean it would be pretty disappointing if they were using pre-sharpened blades for this.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 12:08:46 AM
Here is my analysis

Japanese woodshaving: There are two difficulties. Choosing the wood and shaving at a slow even pace despite any impurities in the wood (probably also takes a good deal of strength).
I would say this is 99% skill and only 1% the knife. Cutting wood at a slow pace is no challenge to the edge.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. Sure its not putting a lot of strain on the edge, but to say it is no challenge to the edge (in my opinion) is incorrect. The edge must be extremely sharp to cut through something like wood at a slow pace.

This thread is about the sharpest edge not the most durable. These are two completely different things.
The sharpest blades are those microkeratome blades used in eye-surgery, there is no discussion about that ;)
Sharp is always a balance to durability, the sharper the less durable. I mean what is the use of such a sharp blade if it breaks after 1mm of cutting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. For wood-shaving it must be a very good blade, the edge must be very even and very sharp. But I think in the wood shaving skill is far more important. What I was trying to get at is: I find those cutting championship blades more impressive because they are both sharp and versatile.

I completely agree that you definitely lose durability when gaining a sharper edge as you are using shallow angles to achieve such a sharp edge which makes it not durable.

I also agree with you that it is probably more skill than anything for the planing competitions.

It makes me think. The planing competitors must have to sharpen their own blades right? I mean it would be pretty disappointing if they were using pre-sharpened blades for this.
The question is, what is the competition about. If everyone uses the same blades then it comes down to skill... kinda like motor racing where everybody drives exactly the same car.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 12:16:16 AM
Here is my analysis

The question is, what is the competition about. If everyone uses the same blades then it comes down to skill... kinda like motor racing where everybody drives exactly the same car.

The competition is definitely about skill and is judged by using a micrometer to see who can cut the thinnest piece.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:23 AM
Here is my analysis

The competition is definitely about skill and is judged by using a micrometer to see who can cut the thinnest piece.
I wonder how much those guys practice? Japanese are well known for their dedication.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 10:20:32 PM
So far, the best article about Japanese Wood Planing KEZUROUKAI

According to this the planer brings both, tool and wood. There is not much detail about the kanna (planer) but it appears that they use mostly traditional tools and sharpening techniques.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 01:32:54 AM
Thank for the great link. I will give it a read later.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD