Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A dearmemory from the past: Meccano plastic

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
A dearmemory from the past: Meccano plastic
on: November 19, 2015, 07:48:31 PM
I recently felt a great nostalgia for a game I spent countless hours with, a plastic set of Meccano that was the 100 or 200 version. I many times felt the need for more pieces and dreamed about the 400 but it was discontinued by then and, remember? We had no internet those days.
My set should be in my parent's  house somewhere. But they are old  folks, I wouldn't bother them for that. Would it be silly to find a set from the eBay? Am I very young to play with it? I'm only 47 years old. Should I wait a little until dementia starts?
Has anyone ever played with Meccano classic or plastic?  Did you like it? Have you other favorite toys from the past you wish you would play again with? Lego? Subbuteo? Playmobil?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: A dearmemory from the past: Meccano plastic
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:41:06 PM
They were in plastic too?  I only ever had the metal stuff.

Was a great toy.  I miss building stuff with them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:36 PM
I had Märklin & Meccano but both in metal. Didn't have a whole lot though I was really into Lego...

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:14:42 PM
It was metal when I was a lad (although I was a lad a lot more recently that you codgers)

As far as I know, my parents turfed it along with the slot cars and other detritus of youth.

Sometimes I look at it in toy stores, then decide I can't really justify the money (but I'll let myself the money for bikes and car toys? the difference is purely psychological, a pointless hobby is a pointless hobby)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:31:16 PM
My mother said that she gave my set to another child more than two decades ago, because she thought that marriage would help me grow up. Needless to say, she was so wrong!
I ordered a Set 400 (plastic, I'm not old enough for a metal set yet) from eBay and it will be a Christmas present from my understanding wife. Happy.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:36:55 PM
I recently felt a great nostalgia for a game I spent countless hours with, a plastic set of Meccano that was the 100 or 200 version. I many times felt the need for more pieces and dreamed about the 400 but it was discontinued by then and, remember? We had no internet those days.
My set should be in my parent's  house somewhere. But they are old  folks, I wouldn't bother them for that. Would it be silly to find a set from the eBay? Am I very young to play with it? I'm only 47 years old. Should I wait a little until dementia starts?
Has anyone ever played with Meccano classic or plastic?  Did you like it? Have you other favorite toys from the past you wish you would play again with? Lego? Subbuteo? Playmobil?

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow! I had plastic Meccano - I had genuinely forgotten about it until I saw your post - thank you for the trip down memory lane  :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:04:44 PM
I received my Plastic Meccano today and put it inside a plastic toolbox.
It is a full 400 set and a great number of pieces from smaller sets. Most pieces are double. Instructions from sets 100, 200, 300 and 400 were included. These are the classifieds pics, I'll take my own pics of the contents and some models I'll make later.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:43 AM
That is awesome. I had forgotten about this stuff.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 12:45:06 PM
This is my set. I put it in a Brickobox neatly and made a nonsensical gearbox for starters.
It consists of a 400 set, the remains of 200 and 300 sets of an older vintage and the remains of my orientation original set which I found and now know it was an A set made between 1965 and 1971 (they made black platforms and spanners then, that's how it's distinguished).
I might find a Caterpillar Track set and a 300x set to add.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:08 PM

Another gearbox, in order to understand how all these gears work.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 08:49:47 PM
I bought another 400 and the Caterpillar set and built another gearbox. Next will be an erector crane which will be carrying Swiss Army Knives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%