Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which one do you think is more friendly in a no friendly situation for knives???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Imagine you are in a place and country (Europe) where knives are not allowed or well seen in some situations or ambients:

E.G.

- At night, go clubbing
- Public events
- Schools
So on...

You are preventively searched by a policeman (at the entrance or in the street).

Wich one of this two SAKS do you think wouldn´t be confiscated?

Victorinox Executive (74 mm 2 tiny pointy blades)

My First Victorinox (84 mm 1 bigger rounded blade)

Please USA guys see this from a more restrictive environment like the one in Europe. We know USA is another world.

Thanks

Choose the one you think is the less probably to be confiscated...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:37:15 PM by alexTOOL »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
in this day and age, probably lose both  :-\   . . .
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
My feeling is the my first vic since the blade is rounded.  I do tend to think in the current atmosphere neither would get a pass.  I do wonder if the classic would be less scary than either choice  :think:.  The classic is no slouch either and the scissors are very nice.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!

Agreed. Blades are either allowed or they're not.

I've never seen a "no knives unless they look really cute" policy  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club

Some times if the knife is pointy is not allowed at all (regardless of its size).

I read in Australia or UK a man with a Vic Classic was seriously fined  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice

Some times if the knife is pointy is not allowed at all (regardless of its size).

I read in Australia or UK a man with a Vic Classic was seriously fined  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

In the UK that would only happen if he used it or threatened to use it as a weapon. That's not knife specific though, and the same could have happened potentially with other objects. There's a lot of misunderstanding about how things work here. I can't comment on Oz, as I don't know how things work there, other than they've been tightening up on their interpretations of everything lately

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
If your that concerned,just don't take a knife :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Or take a friend and get them to carry it for you, so they get nicked and you're in the clear  >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Or take a friend and get them to carry it for you, so they get nicked and you're in the clear  >:D

Still lose a knife though :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
My only question is are you allowed to bring (any) knife or not? If yes then bring whatever you want. If no then don't bring either. I would not want to play the guessing game.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
My only question is are you allowed to bring (any) knife or not? If yes then bring whatever you want. If no then don't bring either. I would not want to play the guessing game.

Concur. The real question is, if your knife isn't welcome, just how welcome are you? There are VERY few places I go where I can't carry a pocket knife of some type. Specifically, certain goverment buildings- I haven't flown in 15 years and do not miss it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Without living in Europe, I see this as similar to trying to get through airport security here in the states. Neither one gets in, and even the "bladeless tools" are a crapshoot. Do the bladeless tools pass muster for Europe in general?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
My feeling is the my first vic since the blade is rounded.  I do tend to think in the current atmosphere neither would get a pass.  I do wonder if the classic would be less scary than either choice  :think:.  The classic is no slouch either and the scissors are very nice.   

:imws:

Without living in Europe, I see this as similar to trying to get through airport security here in the states. Neither one gets in, and even the "bladeless tools" are a crapshoot. Do the bladeless tools pass muster for Europe in general?

Generally yes.. than again they almost confiscated my Led Lenser F1 because the regular bezel looked too much like a strike bezel.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Depends on the country, place where you're searched and the officer doing it.

I never got anything confiscated and I got searched multiple times in different situations.

For instance if I go to court, I try to remember to clear my pockets of anything sharp, but knowing me, there's SAKs in various pockets . If I forget, and the machine goes BEEP, I just leave it at the front desk and pick it up when I go outside again.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
As Enki said. I'd go with the Executive personally since it is ridiculously small in my paws and I have issues peeling apples with a Classic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
 :facepalm: I would probably get locked away very quickly in most civilized societies.

Sorry, no help from me.......I cannot even imagine  :rofl:

nl Offline anditsgone

I think both because a knife is a knife. Although te executive blades might fall under a special law that allow knives to a certain length.

I stopped buying expensive edc knifes because everday there is a chance that my knife could be confiscated. Although i have never been body searched or went through a scanner one time is enough to lose your knife. My budget is 50 euros max. So no chris reeve sabenza for this guy.

• Zombie Apprentice
I think both because a knife is a knife. Although te executive blades might fall under a special law that allow knives to a certain length.

I stopped buying expensive edc knifes because everday there is a chance that my knife could be confiscated. Although i have never been body searched or went through a scanner one time is enough to lose your knife. My budget is 50 euros max. So no chris reeve sabenza for this guy.

It all comes down to awareness, knowing what the rules are, and knowing areas where they may be purposefully interpretted too tightly. I have carried all manner of locking blades and fixed blades when circumstances dictate that I can, and stuck to slippies of a sensible size when I don't have justification for more. I'll happily go about the day to day with such as a Byrd Tern, but wouldn't think of having that on me on a night out on the town. My Vic Manager and / or Gerber Dime would still be on my keys, but that wouldn't cause an issue unless I started waving it at someone. I don't tend to go to places such as schools or airports which are completely bladeless environments, neither do I do to the more raucous nightlife areas where anything and everything could come under scrutiny if challenged.

Conversely, if I was crewing on a canal boat, even though it would pass through town/city centres, residential areas, and past country pubs, I have no qualms about upgrading the knife to something more capable which normal carry rules wouldn't allow for, and I would be entitled to do so.

Once you are aware of what is expected, and what answers are needed should questions arise, it becomes a lot easier to make a decision of what to carry.

nl Offline anditsgone

It might not be that smart. But i carry my EKA Swede 8 everywhere. From my work to the supermarket and from my school to the hospital. But what i don't do is use the knife in school, supermarket or hospital. Only in emergency situations that are life threathning for me or someone else.

Otherwise it is concealed in my pocket. It would be to much of a hassle to store the knife somewhere everytime i enter one of those buildings.

If i get caught, too bad. I will just buy another one if it gets confiscated.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Thank you all guys!!!  :tu: :salute:

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
We live in a deteriorating society. There are no more morals or ethics. It is the 60's all over again. Whose morals and ethics are you going to follow or none at all? It is too much ego and self-gratification. If you don't get what you want "force it"? People are no longer in control of their emotions or tempers. It seems to let it all go whenever they feel insulted or "disrespected" ...

Having said that - IN my opinion you should be able to pack or carry anything you need or wish to protect yourself or your loved ones, and be trained in it's use.  Period. These tragedies keep on happening because people scream for something to be done about "protecting" them. Rather than protecting themselves.

An unarmed / flock of sheep is the perfect target for any loose nut with a grudge against society or some maniacal thoughts of glory, or worse some ideological drive to get back at society.

Having weapon free zones just makes their mission easier and for some reason people don't get it. In some countries, the people in power fear an armed populace will rise up and take over. in Japan for ages, one could not have anything larger than a kitchen knife which was the wife's responsibility to take care of. No weapons of any kind were allowed. This is why "martial arts" is such a big thing in the orient. No weapon needed to defend one's self.

Knives are usually considered an offensive weapon. Because they were in some form or other used as swords, daggers, dirks, or assassins tools. Any cutting edge could be considered a knife or weapon. Even a sharp shell or stone!

As far as large crowds and public places, here again we find the "protect me" crowd. They want a safe place to go and have fun. Not realizing that there are elements in society which don't care about the fun, and no laws are going to stop their madness. The only way to stop them is to hope the people charged with enforcing the laws will come to their rescue. Sorry that only happens in movies, or TV.

So what is a friendly situation for any weapon? There is none. Only you can control your own emotions and have the ethics and morals to do, or not to do something. And if something happens, then you are obliged to find a way to escape the mess, or die in it.

OR  you can pack any weapon you feel capable of wielding, are trained to use and then try to take on the problem. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one. If you find yourself in this situation and decide to take on the problem, armed or not, plan on going down with the ship.

This again takes on the "protect me" crowd and the stupid rules about not packing any weapon. Only you can make the final choice. The best advise this old man (67) can give you is this. AVOID places where trouble is going to start. I know, no fun. Fun is where you find it. Fun is what you make of anything. Do you need to go out where in today's world trouble maybe lurking or can you find something better to do someplace safe?

Just something to think about as our world disintegrates into chaos. Always think before you act. Actions have consequences, and some of those are beyond your imagination.

The Aerojet
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline BlueDot

Yes.  What Mr. Jet said.

:tu:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:23:49 PM by BlueDot »
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline BASguy

Yes.  What Mr. Jet said.

:tu:
+2

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
 :clap:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds