Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY CNC mill/router

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
DIY CNC mill/router
on: November 25, 2015, 05:24:20 PM
I fancy having a go at CNC (computer numeric control) machining some parts, but a 'proper' CNC mill is way out of my price (and space) range.  Spotted a few kits from companies such as Inventables/Shapeoko for light duty routing machines but they may not be accurate enough for what I want to do.  Then found Openbuilds and their C-Beam plate maker: http://openbuilds.org/builds/c-beam%E2%84%A2-machine-plate-maker.2020/.  It's an open source machine, designed for milling thin aluminium and other soft materials, and should be good enough for brass, carbon fibre and G10 as well as wood.

The mechanics are all based around aluminium extrusions with carriages on ball bearings with lead screws driven by stepper motors.  Resolution should be better than 0.1mm, but it depends on a lot of parameters such as the speed of movement and cutting tool diameter.  The cutter is a DeWalt router that can accept tools from 1/8" up to 8mm in diameter so there's a good range of cutting bits available.

Control is via an Arduino board with a CNC 'shield' and three high power stepper driver chips.  The CAD (computer aided design) model is loaded into a piece of free software called Fusion 360 that can generate the CAM (computer aided machining) code, called GCode that is interpreted by software on the Arduino called GRBL that instructs the stepper motors to move in a particular sequence to cut the part.  In theory. :D

I modelled the machine in Inventor, as it's quite likely that I will want to modify it in future to suit my needs better (and it's fun to do).  Here's a screenshot of what it should look like:

The machining area is around 300 mm x 250 mm (12" x 10") with a maximum vertical travel of about 75 mm (3").

The Arduino arrived earlier today, the stepper control board and control chips are on the way - then I can test the CAD/CAM/Controller interface before committing to the mechanical build.  Should be fun. :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: DIY CNC mill/router
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:38:04 PM
SUPERB!!!  :D :D

Good luck with this Chris. I can see it chucking a few teething problems your way, but being worth persevering with  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline lichan

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:15 PM
Anxiously awaiting further developments of this.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:07 PM
That looks like a fun project, be sure to post build along pics!   :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:28:19 PM
Before I put this up on eBay:
I have a second hand router that came to me without the handles and other accesories and with only one collar (for  8 mm bits).
It´s a generic brand made for big box stores, but as it just takes up space (I bought another router with circle adaptor, parrallel ruler etc.) you can have it for the actual shipping costs - Let me know if you might be interested so I can give you details (I remember it´s orange, but that´s about it...) and a shipping quote.
I will ask you for milling services, though...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:12:52 PM
I can see it chucking a few teething problems your way, but being worth persevering with  :tu:

No doubt, Al.  Soldering the PCBs, squaring the frame, tuning the motors, learning how to use CAM, getting the feeds and speeds right, the list goes on ...

Anxiously awaiting further developments of this.

Me too. ;)

That looks like a fun project, be sure to post build along pics!   :D

Will do for sure. :tu:

Before I put this up on eBay:
I have a second hand router that came to me without the handles and other accesories and with only one collar (for  8 mm bits).
It´s a generic brand made for big box stores, but as it just takes up space (I bought another router with circle adaptor, parrallel ruler etc.) you can have it for the actual shipping costs - Let me know if you might be interested so I can give you details (I remember it´s orange, but that´s about it...) and a shipping quote.
I will ask you for milling services, though...

Yes, I would be interested in part numbers/specs.  The DeWalt router is good, but pricey.  Something cheaper to start me off may be a good thing. :tu:

I don't know if I'll be offering contract services.  Hopefully it'll be good enough to run short jobs, but who knows?  Steep learning curve coming up.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:44 AM

Yes, I would be interested in part numbers/specs.  The DeWalt router is good, but pricey.  Something cheaper to start me off may be a good thing. :tu:

I checked the Router out.
It is a T.I.P. branded one, Model OF 1000-12, Item No. 20569-WH
It has 1050 W at 230 V, the collar measures approx 53 mm and the speed is variable from 9000 up to 27000, max. 50 mm cutting depth.
As said, I have no hand-grips or further accesory, only the router with the stand/holder it sits on to adjust cutting depth.
My shop scale is more suitable for big parts, so I am not sure if a package up to 2 kg will suffice, a package up to 5 kg will run you 16,- €.

This one: http://www.amazon.de/T-I-P-Elektronik-Oberfr%C3%A4se-12-Teiligem-Fr%C3%A4sersatz-Holzkassette/dp/B0000BX6RL

I don't know if I'll be offering contract services.  Hopefully it'll be good enough to run short jobs, but who knows?  Steep learning curve coming up.

Don´t worry, you´l lget used to slaving away on our milling projects after work...  ;)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:51:05 AM
Thanks lowtech. :tu:  That one is too big for the machine, unfortunately - I'm looking for a palm router, sometimes called a laminate trimmer.  They have a removeable base plate that allows the body of the router to be clamped to the Z axis.

The drivers for the stepper motors arrived today - not very interesting as I've got nothing to plug them into or to plug into them yet.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:29 PM

Thanks lowtech. :tu:  That one is too big for the machine, unfortunately - I'm looking for a palm router, sometimes called a laminate trimmer.  They have a removeable base plate that allows the body of the router to be clamped to the Z axis.

The drivers for the stepper motors arrived today - not very interesting as I've got nothing to plug them into or to plug into them yet.

Too bad you live in the UK I have one of those small trimmers. I'd send you one but shipping it from would cost more than it's worth.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 02:11:22 PM
Thanks for the offer Steve. :tu:  The router will probably be one of the last parts I get, so I'll wait for sale season to begin before getting it.

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 06:23:14 PM
 :popcorn:
Nothing fancy to write here...

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42:44 PM
If I check on shipping price and it's not to bad, would you be interested? You can have it for nothing minus shipping :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 01:59:19 PM
That's very kind Steve, but no thanks.  Wrong voltage for the UK.

CNC controller board arrived yesterday:

Started soldering it today:

I've already got the Arduino and stepper motor drivers, so once this board is finished I can test the CAD/CAM/Controller interface.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:01:53 PM by hiraethus »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:21 PM
So I guess I will have to buy a router table to get some use out of that piece of machinery....
If i stmble across a laminate trimmer (I have not seen one yet, only routers or smalelr millig mortors) i´ll holler

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 11:02:54 AM
I haven't forgotten about this.  The control boards are finished, the CAM controller software is loaded onto the Arduino and I'm starting to put the enclosure together for the electronics, but I've got to wait until I get paid next week to buy the mechanical parts and steeper motors.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%