Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar vs Gerber MP ??? Or something else entirely...

mr626 · 42 · 6683

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Rebar vs Gerber MP ??? Or something else entirely...
on: November 27, 2015, 01:47:50 AM
Hello all,

I have the itch to purchase another multi-tool. Yes, I have a problem  :rofl:

I am trying to decide between a Rebar, and something else.

Reasons for the Rebar:

• Have owned one previously, already familiar with and like the load out
  • Good compact size

I was all set to just buy another Rebar, but then I remember that the $AUD has gone down a LOT since I last purchased one. A Rebar here is going to cost me at least $95AUD

So that got me thinking about alternatives. For the same money or less, I can probably get a Gerber MP 600. I really like the look of the blunt-nosed ones in particular (BO looks great too). Compared to the Rebar though these look a bit bigger, and the philips driver looks a lot shorter. But, I'd save about $20 getting one of these.

So yeah, a bit undecided. Would be nice to try a different MT, but I do really like the Rebar.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Rebar vs Gerber MP ??? Or something else entirely...
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:57:39 AM
Gerber! No contest!

I would recommend finding one without the replaceable cutters though. The replaceable ones may be of benefit for some people, but most people would benefit from the standard integral cutters. Also recommended with the money you save from not buying the Rebar  :P is the bit kit for the multipliers (don't get the one for the Diesel/Grappler, as it won't fit).

If you want something cheaper/smaller/lighter, there's always the MP400 /MP450 too  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline mr626

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 02:12:03 AM
Gerber! No contest!

I would recommend finding one without the replaceable cutters though. The replaceable ones may be of benefit for some people, but most people would benefit from the standard integral cutters. Also recommended with the money you save from not buying the Rebar  :P is the bit kit for the multipliers (don't get the one for the Diesel/Grappler, as it won't fit).

If you want something cheaper/smaller/lighter, there's always the MP400 /MP450 too  :tu:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the nature of my usage is such that I'd prefer the replaceable cutters (although I do hear what you are saying).

Will look at the smaller Gerbers. Do these come in blunt nose?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 02:13:59 AM
No, the 400 series only comes with needle nose

au Offline mr626

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 03:44:44 AM
Hmm, to add a spanner to the works, it seems that I can actually get a Rebar via Amazon cheaper than a MP600.

Maybe the new plan will be get a Rebar, and also get a used MP600 so I can try it out  :think:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 03:51:13 AM
I say go for the MP600.  Not exactly a surprise, huh? ;)  The 600 is more hand filling and more comfortable in pliers mode IMO, and is available in different configurations.  The MP400/450 are great tools as well.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:59 AM
Unlike the other guys that have posted before, I really like the Rebar. I also really like the MP600, especially the blunt nose one.
Mp600 pros:
+Comfortable grip
+Great Ergonomics
+One Hand pliers
+simple, reliable locks
+great scissors on models that have them
+blade exchanger on models that have them is great
+very easy to customize with parts from  other MP600's (and Diesel and Strata)

MP600 cons
-a bit on the long side
-Short inside tools (except the MP600 ST, which has a longer Phillips driver and a longer combo blade)
-carbide cutters are pretty bad. (The only reason you should go out of your way for them is if you are in the habit of deforming normal multitool cutters often)
-inside tools are inconvenient to get to
-blades for the blade exchangers are a bit hard to find (u shank with hole is a dated design)
-due to design changes throughout its long lifetime, some models have nail nicks that dont line up with the hole in the chassis, or have holes instead of nailnicks that make using the file difficult

Rebar pros
+great tool selection
+excellent wire cutters
+properly long drivers
+small size is great for pocket carry using a pocket dangler
+strong, reliable locks
+has an awl, and a woodsaw

Rebar cons
-some people have issues with ergonomics (I think they are just fine)
-wire cutters interfere with bolt gripping area, reducing effective bolt gripping space
-there have been some QC issues in the past, but I believe LM has worked most of them out
-hole in the file impedes usage
-moderately difficult to mod

Peraonally, I think that these two tools are really for different purposes. The Rebar is well equipped, but lacks loadout options, and isn't as good of a bolt turner. But its smaller size and regular shape makes it great for pocket carry. The MP600 is better suited for sheath carry, and benefits greatly from having the bit kit. For days when I want a tool just in case, the Rebar is a good choice. When I know I will be using my tool later on, I go for MP600 Blunt Nose (which I often pair with a Rebar anyhow, as their tool load oit complements very nicely, especially if you have a rare MP600 ProScout Blunt Nose)

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:48 AM
I say spend the extra bucks and go with the rebar. It is one of my favorite tools and the only thing lacking is scissors. The MP series from gerber is really good, but on most of the 600's (outside of the pro scout) it has limited tool sets. Also have you considered how you will carry each tool? The 600 is almost purely sheath carry. The rebar is easily pocketable if sheath carry isn't an option. For a gerber I would suggest the mp400 or the diesel. The diesel imo the best full sized tool gerber has. The most comfortable pliers and a full tool set. The 400 is light and pocket carry as well but is on the small side. So good luck on you deciding. The two tool I would say that should be at the top of your list:

Rebar

Diesel

Good hunting.  :cheers:

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

au Offline mr626

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 08:04:39 AM
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated.

To add some extra info:

-99% of the time I sheath-carry. If I can't wear a sheath for some reason, I'll pocket a SAK. Never quite got the hang of pocket carrying a Leatherman.

-The more I'm reading about the current MP600's, the more 50ft-trad's points about the cutters seem to ring true. It sounds like carbide was just the wrong choice of material for these- too brittle maybe? Regardless, it sounds like the 154cm ones on the Rebar are much better.

-I'm not sure what it is about them, but I don't really like the look of the smaller Gerbers. Might be the slots/holes in the handles.

Gah, the MT collector in me says get both!  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:59:06 AM
Get both? Absolutely! MP600 AND Diesel  :D

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:15:43 AM
The Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit variants are always worth considering ;)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:02 PM
Rebar all the way   :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 06:06:57 PM
I'm looking for something myself and I was between the Rebar/bladeless MP600/Spirit and I think I am going to go with the Spirit. Seems like the best of the bunch to me but ymmv.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:06 PM
I'm looking for something myself and I was between the Rebar/bladeless MP600/Spirit and I think I am going to go with the Spirit. Seems like the best of the bunch to me but ymmv.
Have you gotten one yet? The spirit is the best in class. The rebar and diesel hold their own in weight however. I liked the idea of the blade less 600 but they only have it in black and I prefer the ss tools.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 09:34:38 PM
I have one potentially lined up. I need to move a couple items to get it funded.  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

au Offline mr626

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:20 PM
I've pretty much decided to grab a Rebar, and keep an eye out for a used MP600 just for fun.

Am tempted to make my Rebar blunt-nosed myself. I guess just a matter of grinding the needle-nose down?

Have tried a Swisstool, and it wasn't for me.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 04:20:38 AM
I've pretty much decided to grab a Rebar, and keep an eye out for a used MP600 just for fun.

Am tempted to make my Rebar blunt-nosed myself. I guess just a matter of grinding the needle-nose down?

Id save the Blunt nosing for an older midsize LM (Blast would be a good candidate, ir Wave) if it had to be a midsized LM. The Rebar's gripping area is a bit small. Id do it on a old style Surge, or a Core. Next best option is ST300 or Surge. making  Rebar  blunt isnt popular for a reason.

That said, maybe the reason is no ones done it before! Just wanted to make you aware of a drawback of the Rebar.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline mr626

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 04:27:15 AM

Id save the Blunt nosing for an older midsize LM (Blast would be a good candidate, ir Wave) if it had to be a midsized LM. The Rebar's gripping area is a bit small. Id do it on a old style Surge, or a Core. Next best option is ST300 or Surge. making  Rebar  blunt isnt popular for a reason.

That said, maybe the reason is no ones done it before! Just wanted to make you aware of a drawback of the Rebar.

No, good point. The Rebar pliers are smaller to start with. I had an old style Surge, but I gave it away to a work mate who needed a MT. I do have a beloved ST300...hmm

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 05:24:02 AM
I've done the Rebar BN before and I have another heading this way soon to be done, it works fine.

I have a Rebar and MP600 and use them for completely different jobs so it's horses for courses IMO.

Depending what you're after I might be able to part together a NN MP600 for you as well.

au Offline mr626

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:49 AM
I've done the Rebar BN before and I have another heading this way soon to be done, it works fine.

I have a Rebar and MP600 and use them for completely different jobs so it's horses for courses IMO.

Depending what you're after I might be able to part together a NN MP600 for you as well.

You are a dangerous person to know! Cool, I'll wait for that PM from you regarding the Rebar and we'll see from there. Thanks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 05:09:24 PM

What,  No Nosed MP600?  >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 12:01:25 AM

What,  No Nosed MP600?  >:D

:D

au Offline mr626

Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:09 AM
Well, thanks to zoidberg I haven't needed to choose- I now have a Rebar AND a MP600 soon to be in the mail! Many thanks zoidberg, and thanks for the thoughts / suggestions posted here too.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:44 AM
You have saved it from the wire cutters test of doom.   >:D   Will wrap it up tonight.   :cheers:

au Offline mr626

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 07:24:15 AM
You have saved it from the wire cutters test of doom.   >:D   Will wrap it up tonight.   :cheers:

Awesome! Although I can't promise it won't be subjected to other tests here >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 07:33:01 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome! Although I can't promise it won't be subjected to other tests here >:D

That's okay because you will have a Rebar there if anything bad happens.   :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 05:55:39 PM
:cheers: lobster boy, way to be a decent fellow.
mr626, you lucky dog. Im jealous now, my black and white mp600 BN could use a white and black needle nosed companion

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 08:00:45 PM
Lowes still has Rebars for $39.95 on sale.  I'm really tempted to snag one.  :whistle:

au Offline mr626

Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 11:45:53 PM
:cheers: lobster boy, way to be a decent fellow.
mr626, you lucky dog. Im jealous now, my black and white mp600 BN could use a white and black needle nosed companion

Yes, I am very fortunate. zoidberg had exactly what I was after and was willing to part with it for a very reasonable price. Plus, being in New Zealand we are virtually neighbours- shouldn't take too long for the tools to get here.

Offline TiCombat

Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 01:50:14 AM
Wonder if they are gonna push that Rebar price thru to Christmas

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69